Just punishment for those who disrespect the dead

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where I live it's extremely rare outside the Muslim faith. It was common 50 years ago, but has since died out. Pun intended :p

Is there some religious or cultural reason you're opposed to cremation?
I'm not opposed to cremation. Also I have no religion reason against it. I just like a cemetery and figured that's a good place to be buried. I wasn't really looking for a cemetery. I just happen to drive by one, when I was driving. I like that it was full of tree's. My grand parents were buried at a cemetery, that was really sunny. I don't like the sun. That was about 16 years ago. They never mentioned being against cremations. My mom plans to be cremated , my dad doesn't care. I've never heard of cremations being in. And being buried in a cemeteries out.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd bet that once they exhumed the body they would have probably started barfing all over themselves when the reality of the situation imparted itself upon their visual and olfactory senses.
That is probably correct. Even though they are pretty evil for wanting to rape her. I wonder if this would have been her first rape victim. Or do they have more victs.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
That is probably correct. Even though they are pretty evil for wanting to rape her. I wonder if this would have been her first rape victim. Or do they have more victs.

There is a such thing as being too stupid to be dangerous.. I'd put a wager on it that these three kids fall squarely into that category.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm not opposed to cremation. Also I have no religion reason against it. I just like a cemetery and figured that's a good place to be buried. I wasn't really looking for a cemetery. I just happen to drive by one, when I was driving. I like that it was full of tree's. My grand parents were buried at a cemetery, that was really sunny. I don't like the sun. That was about 16 years ago. They never mentioned being against cremations. My mom plans to be cremated , my dad doesn't care. I've never heard of cremations being in. And being buried in a cemeteries out.

I don't think it's a matter of 'cremations being in', there just isn't really any other reasonable or legal option. And why does a cemetery exclude cremation? The vast majority of ashes are interred in cemeteries here. Very few are claimed by relatives for alternative disposal or storage. I think our respective countries must have very different cultures in this regard.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's a matter of 'cremations being in', there just isn't really any other reasonable or legal option. And why does a cemetery exclude cremation? The vast majority of ashes are interred in cemeteries here. Very few are claimed by relatives for alternative disposal or storage. I think our respective countries must have very different cultures in this regard.
I don't know if cemeteries exclude the ashes of cremation. I haven't asked . I'm young to have really looked into yet. If I die, and my parents have to deal with it. The state might cremate me or put me in a cheap box and put a number on the ground. Where they put all the other people with families that don't claim the body.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Isn't everyone cremated nowadays? I thought only Muslims were buried :scratch:
Which country are you in, out of curiosity? In the U.S., the majority of people are still buried. None of my family members have been cremated.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where I live it's extremely rare outside the Muslim faith. It was common 50 years ago, but has since died out. Pun intended :p

Is there some religious or cultural reason you're opposed to cremation?
Are there no Jews where you live? Religious Jews have to be buried intact and not embalmed.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the article it said that a law was in the works to make having sex with a corpse you dug up (i.e. already buried) a felony. But what about having sex with a corpse BEFORE burial? I read a story from a young woman who got married to a mortician tech. On their wedding night he could not "consummate" until she took a bath in ice water and laid completely still - almost not breathing. Guess what this guy had been doing? Yeah - that marriage did not last 24 hours.

That should also be a felony. If you had been the dad or mom of the deceased girl in the article (or her husband) and found out a tech had sex with her corpse - I am sure you would be absolutely outraged. I would be.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the article it said that a law was in the works to make having sex with a corpse you dug up (i.e. already buried) a felony. But what about having sex with a corpse BEFORE burial? I read a story from a young woman who got married to a mortician tech. On their wedding night he could not "consummate" until she took a bath in ice water and laid completely still - almost not breathing. Guess what this guy had been doing? Yeah - that marriage did not last 24 hours.

That should also be a felony. If you had been the dad or mom of the deceased girl in the article (or her husband) and found out a tech had sex with her corpse - I am sure you would be absolutely outraged. I would be.
I would be more grossed out than enraged. I don't view corpses as the living people they once were, but more like chairs that decay. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, unless you think burial rights and treatment of the corpse is relevant to it, I don't fully get the outrage of this type of situation. I don't view it as permissible by any means, because I know most people are emotionally distraught at the mere idea, but I view it as a lesser crime to raping a living person. Should it be a felony? I don't know, if it isn't associated with other crimes, I don't think so. Sounds to me these people need therapy more than a prison cell.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you believe should be the punishment for those who engage in sex acts with the dead? Here is the story. Three young men, about 20 years old or so, dug up the grave of a young woman for the sole purpose of having sex with her. Rape is disgusting and to me that would be an example of not only desecration of a corpse of rape. Should they be in jail or just therapy? What would be a fair sentence for these young men? Why didn't those boys just ask some living girls for dates or something like that?

It seems some people are more attracted to dead bodies than living ones. As far as necrophilia goes, I have no idea if it's genetic or not. If it's a "born this way" situation there should definitely be more compassion and leniency, compared to some selfish guy/girl who wanted sex and didn't care if it was a corpse or not.

If they're romantic and sexual inclinations hinge on interacting with the dead, these people must be living a lonely and frustrating life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Therapy. I think we chuck people in jail too often for things that won't help them in the end. They need help not our judgement and arbitrary punishment. At the most? A fine. Because a dead person is no longer a person and just an object. Our respect for the dead, dead people do not have rights and it is also not rape.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Which country are you in, out of curiosity? In the U.S., the majority of people are still buried. None of my family members have been cremated.

That explains it. Here, very few people have been buried in the past 20 years apart from Muslims. Burial is very much a thing of the past here. Services are held in 'chapels' at Crematoriums/Cemeteries, and ashes interred in lawns with small markers. Most people, despite the Hollywood mistake, don't collect ashes and take them home to put on the mantelpiece. Nor do many scatter ashes at some place the deceased loved. Having said that, I have done so. Scattered at sea as per the deceased's wishes, and another on top of a mountain.

As to where, I prefer to keep that info private, sorry. It's been my 'forum policy' for a decade to remain anonymous in terms of nationality.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I would be more grossed out than enraged. I don't view corpses as the living people they once were, but more like chairs that decay. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, unless you think burial rights and treatment of the corpse is relevant to it, I don't fully get the outrage of this type of situation. I don't view it as permissible by any means, because I know most people are emotionally distraught at the mere idea, but I view it as a lesser crime to raping a living person. Should it be a felony? I don't know, if it isn't associated with other crimes, I don't think so. Sounds to me these people need therapy more than a prison cell.

I know for a fact that it's more common than we would guess. And no, the 'perps' aren't necessarily mentally ill. More like bored and pragmatic, and in possession of opportunity.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember when my grandfather died and was cremated, his ashes were displayed in a little box at the funeral and I was like "wow, how did they fit him in that tiny box?" Everyone at the funeral started laughing.

I guess it was a cute little kid moment, but I was honestly disturbed. I couldn't get the image of some guy jamming my grandfather into the box out of my mind, lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I remember when my grandfather died and was cremated, his ashes were displayed in a little box at the funeral and I was like "wow, how did they fit him in that tiny box?" Everyone at the funeral started laughing.

I guess it was a cute little kid moment, but I was honestly disturbed. I couldn't get the image of some guy jamming my grandfather into the box out of my mind, lol.

Funny :D

But that does seem unusual. We have the service prior to the cremation, here. The deceased is 'displayed' in the casket (always closed - we don't do open caskets here) at the head of the chapel, then cremated after the service. It's all done on site ... crematoriums making up the major proportion of cemetery structures nowadays.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No problem. :)

Interesting.

Wikipedia has a useful page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cremation_rate

Interesting list!

Quite surprising differences there. No wonder some Americans still think about burial as 'standard'!

I did note, also, that some of the figures were quite old ... as in 2007/2008 etc. I'd hazard the guess that the rate of cremation has increased since then, since it's been on an upward trajectory for decades. I can't see a time when burials would be favoured again. They're so very expensive and land hungry, and don't really have a place in a non-superstitious society. We're long past thinking the dead need their bodies :p

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't everyone cremated nowadays? I thought only Muslims were buried :scratch:
No. In Orthodox Christianity it is also part of our religion to be buried. In fact, it is against my faith to be cremated.

ETA: Also, here's an interesting historical fact. In ancient Egypt, when people were embalmed, those who were cutting them to remove organs were pelted with rocks as they did so, as punishment for defiling the dead.

Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmmm...ok! In my 10 years of being a member here, this definitely the weirdest thread yet!!

I think this is something I really didn't want to know! As well as being sick and completely wrong, how exactly is a sex act with a corpse pleasurable! !

And no I don't want an answer to the question...you may want to re - think the thread title though :) When I hear "disrespect of the dead" I think of people speaking ill of those who have passed on. Rape of corpses wasn't what sprung to mind when I hit the thread subject!

Upvote 0