May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Does God practice justice, or does God practice mercy?

I would say that practicing justice is to ensure that people get punishments they deserve.

And I would say that practicing mercy is to spare people from punishments they deserve.

Clearly, it isn't possible to do both, so which does God practice?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole point of Christianity is that He did create a means to do both; that He can offer a means of Amnesty (from our default judged state) but surrender is required to attain it.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The whole point of Christianity is that He did create a means to do both; that He can offer a means of Amnesty (from our default judged state) but surrender is required to attain it.
It is impossible to both ensure that people get what they deserve and to spare people from punishment they deserve. One cannot simultaneously give and withhold punishment.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is impossible to both ensure that people get what they deserve and to spare people from punishment they deserve. One cannot simultaneously give and withhold punishment.
Do you know the legal meaning of "amnesty?"
Also in Christianity, all sin is punished completely, but not all sinners are.
(Understanding that requires a supernatural paradigm shift.)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say that practicing justice is to ensure that people get punishments they deserve.

And I would say that practicing mercy is to spare people from punishments they deserve.

Justice for those who refuse His saving grace.

Mercy for those who believe.

Reactions: BrotherJJ
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

I think it is logical to say that sometimes God practices justice and sometimes God practices mercy.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible to go to court, have the judge fine you $100 and have someone pay that fine for you? Jesus paid the full price for everyone who accepts Him.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible to go to court, have the judge fine you $100 and have someone pay that fine for you?
Sure, I'll assume it is. Justice hasn't been served because wrongdoing hasn't been punished. If it is just for me to pay that fine, it is unjust for someone else to pay that fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think it is logical to say that sometimes God practices justice and sometimes God practices mercy.
I agree. This means that sometimes God is unjust and sometimes God is merciless. Is that justice?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure, I'll assume it is. Justice hasn't been served because wrongdoing hasn't been punished. If it is just for me to pay that fine, it is unjust for someone else to pay that fine.
you have somehow linked justice with punishment, under that theory the more punishment the grater the justice.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I agree. This means that sometimes God is unjust and sometimes God is merciless. Is that justice?
BTW in the case of the courts, there often are victims for the crimes.... but often the victim for our sin is (apparently) God... God is the one saying that people should be harshly punished for their sins... so people usually are not complaining that some people are getting away with their sins if they are "saved"....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
you have somehow linked justice with punishment, under that theory the more punishment the grater the justice.
There is a just amount of punishment. Too much or too little would be unjust. If I don't pay the fine that I deserve to pay, that is unjust. Why do you think it is just for me to not receive punishment that I deserve?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

The solution is to use different definitions for justice and mercy.

Justice might be defined as interventions by a higher power (such as a God or a human court system) whose goal is to encourage lawful behavior. Usually laws allow for latitude in the punishments, and the judge is free to select whatever seems most likely to achieve the goal of FUTURE lawfulness in society. Sometimes the judge decides that it is best to make a public example of the lawbreaker in hopes of affecting other potential lawbreakers (crucifixion would be an extreme and gruesome example of that). Other times the judge might try to rehabilitate the lawbreaker and order treatments instead (a mentally ill person might be ordered to get psychiatric help).

There is still some tension between achieving lawfulness in society and achieving other forms of well-being in society. For example, sometimes the feelings about a law might change over time and amnesty might be necessary to heal society. For example, I believe there was some amnesty for draft-dodgers in the Vietnam War as US society attempted to heal the cultural wounds.

Here is a wikipedia page on "punishment" that lists a variety of goals for punishment:
- deterrence (prevention)
- rehabilitation
- incapacitation and societal protection
- retribution
- restoration
- education and denunciation
Punishment

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulomycin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The solution is to use different definitions for justice and mercy.
I'm open to hearing what other definitions you might have in mind as long as they contain the words "deserve" and "punishment".
Here is a wikipedia page on "punishment" that lists a variety of goals for punishment:
- deterrence (prevention)
- rehabilitation
- incapacitation and societal protection
- retribution
- restoration
- education and denunciation
Punishment
This thread is about retributive justice. It's fine to put emphasis on the word "punishment" as long as you don't ignore the word "deserve".

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm open to hearing what other definitions you might have in mind as long as they contain the words "deserve" and "punishment".

This thread is about retributive justice. It's fine to put emphasis on the word "punishment" as long as you don't ignore the word "deserve".
Why are you limiting the definition in that way? I'm a little puzzled.

Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed

Both. Because mercy, by definition, is not just. . .but mercy is not injustice either.
Mercy is also undeserved (by definition).
Therefore, mercy and justice are compatible.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Shouldn't your [objectively stated] concluding question fit the form of your [subjective] premises?

And there you have it. The "justice" that is expressed in the Bible isn't exactly that which floats around and conceptually morphs within today's Post-Enlightenment/Post-Revolutionary Age, is it?

So, who's to say (you say/I say?) that God's Justice (and Judgement) isn't fully compatible with the Mercy and Grace that He extends to humanity?

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0