Just how soon is "soon"?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well...time is relative. For example, I remember going to the church that I grew in. It was from 1962 to 1972.I was eight years old until 18 years old. At the time, that seemed like a very long time. Now,at 64 years old, from 2009 to 2019,is still the same amount of time, ten years. But 2009 does not seem that long ago. In other words ,as we get older, the same unit of time seems to go by quickly. As I became older, when I was working, a 15 minute break seemed to get shorter every year. So, there would be times that I would take a 20 or a 25 minute break instead. I wonder how many workers can identify with me on that?
Therefore, since Jesus is older than all of us,he is also known as "The Ancient of Days".Two Thousand years is a short time for him. 2 Peter 3:8 says,
2 Peter 3:8 8 " But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the LORD a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."
In other words, God is timeless.

You're right. I'm almost 33 years old and the days seem to zoom by for me. I can't imagine how fast they are at 60+ years old but my parents and grandparents all said they weren't very long at all. So time to you is very short compared to time for me. So your point is that since the apostles have lived for 2,000+ years that the wait for them isn't long at all? Is that what you're trying to say?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:7-8

I was mediating on this verse today.

An elder at our church said that this verse could be talking about Christians compromising so much to the point of being a weak generation, rather than an absence of Christians. Thought that was insightful!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have another question. When our wait is finally over and the New Heavens and the New Earth are finally created will time pass like normal after that? Or will our new bodies experience timeflowing similar to Gods conception of time?

Let me put it another way. Will time continue to pass at all and if yes will it go by REALLY fast or will it be really slow? After all it wouldn't matter how fast time passes because we will be immortal like God. So 1,000 years could pass like one day.

So the 1,000 year reign of Christ could technically only be a days wait if our concept of time will be similar to Gods.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay so Jesus over 2,000 years ago promised his disciples that he would return "soon" and that the end of the age is nigh. But how soon is soon? It's been over 2,000 years already. You would think a statement of soon would be about a period of 500 years or less. To me That's soon. Not 2k+ years. Honestly? I think it'll be another century or so before Jesus comes back. And even with me "setting a date" I'm wrong. So what? We have to wait 5,000 + years for Jesus to come back? What good is that? I mean think about it. The apostles have been waiting for the return of Christ for over 2,000 years now. That's a LONG time. If they have to wait 5,000+ years I can see why the multitude in Revelation were so eager for Christ's return. Especially if they have to wait 5,000 years for it. I mean is Jesus even coming back at all? *sigh*.

soon in relation to earth time - seems like a long time to us

son in relation to eternity - maybe only 5 days or so - not so long ;o)

2 Peter 3:8–9

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed time is relative. God is transcendent of both time and space. A thousand years is no different from a day, a second, or a week, or year. It's all a living and existent "present" to God. Being omnipresent God is not only "everywhere" at once... but also, "every-when" at once.

So, to God the word "soon" can mean anything.

But that shouldn't take away that Christ returned in Spirit to abide in us through the Holy Spirit at Pentecost... and also that Christ indeed came in judgment against Jerusalem in A.D. 70.

I believe Christ has come on many occasions. Christ came against the Axis Powers. Christ came against the USSR. Christ came against Saddam Hussein. Christ is ever present when He comes in judgment or in blessing.

And in the end, yes, I believe Jesus will return bodily to establish His Kingdom. That day and hour, no one knows.

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As something to ponder.........
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

since Christ we are now starting the third day.....
Jesus rose early on the third day...!

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As something to ponder.........
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

since Christ we are now starting the third day.....
Jesus rose early on the third day...!

Very interesting thought to ponder. Thanks for sharing that. God bless and keep you and yours.

Upvote 0

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[QUOTE="Neostarwcc, post: 73670449, member: 383061". I'm almost 33 years old and the days seem to zoom by for me. I can't imagine how fast they are at 60+ years old but my parents and grandparents all said they weren't very long at all. So time to you is very short compared to time for me. So your point is that since the apostles have lived for 2,000+ years that the wait for them isn't long at all? Is that what you're trying to say?[/QUOTE]
Right on. I’m 66 and seemingly proceeding at warp speed.

I feel, having lived this long and still quite healthy and active, there just aren’t enough hours in the day, even being long since retired.

With political turmoil, lack of morals and basic civility, increasing hostility toward Christians and Jews, I may not live to see full blown persecution (there are signs even now it is beginning even here in the U.S.), but I think it is not far off. No special insights, just one old man’s opinion. In my day I read Hal’s book and saw how rebellious and nutty my hippy contemporaries were, I didn’t think I’d make it to 30....lol! I embraced some of their utopian ideals because I was naive but was as straight as they come; a car (a ‘65 Mustang I dearly wish I had kept!), a job, college degree, short hair and nary a drug in my system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay so Jesus over 2,000 years ago promised his disciples that he would return "soon" and that the end of the age is nigh. But how soon is soon? It's been over 2,000 years already. You would think a statement of soon would be about a period of 500 years or less. To me That's soon. Not 2k+ years. Honestly? I think it'll be another century or so before Jesus comes back. And even with me "setting a date" I'm wrong. So what? We have to wait 5,000 + years for Jesus to come back? What good is that? I mean think about it. The apostles have been waiting for the return of Christ for over 2,000 years now. That's a LONG time. If they have to wait 5,000+ years I can see why the multitude in Revelation were so eager for Christ's return. Especially if they have to wait 5,000 years for it. I mean is Jesus even coming back at all? *sigh*.

Dan 8 gives us a 2300 year timeline taking us past the first coming of Christ - down to our own time - and tells us that this is what the Bible calls "the time of the end" - Dan 8

Just like Daniel 9 uses apocalyptic day-for-year in its 70 week = 490 year time line so also Daniel 8.

Dan 8
13 Then I heard a holy one speaking; and another holy one said to that certain one who was speaking, “How long will the vision be, concerning the daily sacrifices and the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled underfoot?”
14 And he said to me, “For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed.”
15 Then it happened, when I, Daniel, had seen the vision and was seeking the meaning, that suddenly there stood before me one having the appearance of a man. 16 And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of the Ulai, who called, and said, “Gabriel, make this man understand the vision.” 17 So he came near where I stood, and when he came I was afraid and fell on my face; but he said to me, “Understand, son of man, that the vision refers to the time of the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah I agree.
I imagine the Jews of today must be wondering the same thing.

"THE TIME IS NIGH AT HAND" AND "COMING IN SWIFTNESS" REVELATION PROPHECY

Strong's Greek: 1451. ἐγγύς (eggus) -- near (in place or time)
1451. eggus
from a primary verb agcho
(to squeeze or throttle; akin to the base of 43);
near (literally or figuratively, of place or time):--from , at hand, near, nigh (at hand, unto), ready.

Revelation 1:3
Blessed/happy the one reading, and the ones hearing, the Words of the Prophecy, and the keepings in it having been Written/gegrammena <1125> (5772),
for the Time is NIGH AT HAND/egguV <1451>.
Revelation 22:10
And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of this Scroll,
For the Time Is NIGH AT HAND/egguV <1451>

Strong's Greek: 5034. τάχος (tachos) -- speed
tachos from the same as 5036;
a brief space (of time), i.e.
(with 1722 prefixed) in haste:--+ quickly, + shortly, + speedily.

Revelation 1:1

An-un-covering-revealing of Jesus Christ, which gives to Him, the GOD, to show to the bond-servants of Him,
which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.
Revelation 22:6
And said to me: "These, the Words Faithful and True.
And Lord, the GOD of the spirits of the holy Prophets, commissions the messenger of Him to show to the bond-servents of Him
which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke's Temple/Jerusalem Discourses harmonized

Matthew 24:3

Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling! to us,
when? shall these be,and what? the sign of Thy parousia<3952>,
and the full End<5055> of the Age.
====================
1 Peter 4:7
Of all-things yet the End<5056> Has drawn nigh<1448>
be sane then, and be sober into the prayers,

James 5:8
be patient! and stand-fast! the hearts of ye,
that the Parousia<3952> of the Lord has drawn nigh<1448>
Why would this concern you? Heaven is already open to us.
His second coming at the end of time will have no effect on those already in Heaven.
That is what I have always understood it and being 68, I just pray I get thru Judgement City. But what the heck, who knows ................

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Not during our lifetime, I believe.
Not during the 21st century.

Upvote 0

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟115,462.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We must remember that , for each of us, OUR meeting with the Lord is no further away than...THE NEXT HEARTBEAT!

Jesus won't return til the "beast/antichrist" is in power. However, many signs that time isn't far off are happening. Israel is all set to build a new temple.Sin is rampant, especially "little sins" such as acceptance of the LBGTQ lifestyles & the cold "worship services". These are parts of the "great falling away". The tech for issuing the "mark of the beast" is here, with implantable microchips.

But we must not be setting dates for these events to occur. The antichrist may or may not be born yet. What we SHOULD do is live as if Jesus may return any time, as none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The days of our lives on Earth are numbered, more so for some than for others. Jesus did not say that God would close everything out soon which would be the time he would return physically or at least visibly. He was pretty clear that nobody knows when that will be other than the Father Himself.

He assured His disciples that THEY would see him soon. And of course they did when their earthly lifespan was finished and they joined Him in Heaven.

As for how long it all takes, time is really relative according to Einstein's theory. And in 2 Peter 3:8 - But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

In my opinion we shouldn't concern ourselves with that so much but should take Jesus' counsel to have figurative 'oil in our lamps' or otherwise be ready. We should live each day so we would not be ashamed if Jesus came for us that day.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone think that humans becoming multiplanetary species before Christ returns will affect anything ?

Like when it has been few hundred years and nothing happens people will proclaim that evangelizing in Mars has to step up for Christ to return ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Soon" took place approximately 40 years after His accession. If you notice He was speaking to that generation even pointing out that some standing there will still be alive. So that second appearance was actually the judgment of Jerusalem, 70AD. We can still look forward to the new heaven and the new earth and that day no one can know.

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed."

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Peter 3:8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Neostarwcc said:
Okay so Jesus over 2,000 years ago promised his disciples that he would return "soon" and that the end of the age is nigh. But how soon is soon? It's been over 2,000 years already. You would think a statement of soon would be about a period of 500 years or less.
"Soon" took place approximately 40 years after His accession. If you notice He was speaking to that generation even pointing out that some standing there will still be alive. So that second appearance was actually the judgment of Jerusalem, 70AD. We can still look forward to the new heaven and the new earth and that day no one can know.

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed."
:amen: :preach:
2 Peter 3:8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day
Each generation since the Cross and ascension of our Lord Jesus reads that same passage and use it to move the goal post to yet another generation, then another and another.......

As they do these vss:

Romans 13:
11 And this knowing the time, that hour it-is already out of sleep to be roused,
for now nearer<1452> of us the Salvation than when we believed. [Revelation 12:10]
12 The Night progresses, the yet Day has-neared<1448>.
We should be putting off then the works of the Darkness,
we should be putting on the implements of the Light.

Peter and James were writing this to the Jews of the12 tribes scattered all over the world, not to us Gentiles today.

Jas 1:1
James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad:
Greetings.

that the parousia <3952> of the Lord has drawn nigh<1448>;

1Peter 1:1
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the chosen ones who are living as foreigners in the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia

Of all-things<3956> yet
the End Has drawn nigh<1448>;

Blessed/happy the one reading, and the ones hearing, the words of the Prophecy and keepings in it having been written
for the Time is Nigh<1451>.
And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of the Scroll, this. That the Time Is Nigh<1451>

Rev 12:10
Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now the salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.

Eccles 6:
3If a man fathers a hundred children, and lives many years, so that the days of his years are many, but his soul is not filled with good, and moreover he has no burial; I say, that a stillborn child is better than he: 4for it comes in vanity, and departs in darkness, and its name is covered with darkness. 5Moreover it has not seen the sun nor known it. This has rest rather than the other. 6Yes, though he live a thousand years twice told, and yet fails to enjoy good, don't all go to one place?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:amen: :preach:
Each generation since the Cross and ascension of our Lord Jesus reads that same passage and use it to move the goal post to yet another generation, then another and another.......

As they do these vss:

Romans 13:
11 And this knowing the time, that hour it-is already out of sleep to be roused,
for now nearer<1452> of us the Salvation than when we believed. [Revelation 12:10]
12 The Night progresses, the yet Day has-neared<1448>.
We should be putting off then the works of the Darkness,
we should be putting on the implements of the Light.

Peter and James were writing this to the Jews of the12 tribes scattered all over the world, not to us Gentiles today.

Jas 1:1
James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad:
Greetings.

that the parousia <3952> of the Lord has drawn nigh<1448>;

1Peter 1:1
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the chosen ones who are living as foreigners in the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia

Of all-things<3956> yet
the End Has drawn nigh<1448>;

Blessed/happy the one reading, and the ones hearing, the words of the Prophecy and keepings in it having been written
for the Time is Nigh<1451>.
And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of the Scroll, this. That the Time Is Nigh<1451>

Rev 12:10
Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now the salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.

Eccles 6:
3If a man fathers a hundred children, and lives many years, so that the days of his years are many, but his soul is not filled with good, and moreover he has no burial; I say, that a stillborn child is better than he: 4for it comes in vanity, and departs in darkness, and its name is covered with darkness. 5Moreover it has not seen the sun nor known it. This has rest rather than the other. 6Yes, though he live a thousand years twice told, and yet fails to enjoy good, don't all go to one place?
Setting a goal post is a issue , I was not implying that. Simply I was just pointing out the human reality of time vs the Fathers reality of time is very different. It is illogical to compare our comprehendion to His.

Upvote 0

Legroom

Feb 9, 2019
Austin
✟9,372.00
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just like there were erroneous expectations for a "Jewish Messiah" who would sit in David's seat and rule the world, so do there appear to be false expectations about the Son of God to soon return. The kingdom established 2,000 years ago by Jesus is spiritual. The Sons rightful place is on high. When he returns, it will be for a visit and likely after the first gospel taught by Jesus will have been adopted world wide.

Could be another 2,000 or 4,000 years or more.

Upvote 0