Just how many 'Human Rights' do people in the U.S. really care about?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We can't overcome hatred without overcoming differences.

I don't think we need to overcome our differences. There's no sense in trying to be carbon copies of one another. God made us all individual and unique, I believe we can celebrate that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think we need to overcome our differences. There's no sense in trying to be carbon copies of one another. God made us all individual and unique, I believe we can celebrate that.

I meant that we need to cooperate more (operate together for the common good), not fight each other at every turn.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Here we are, one big happy family in the U.S., right? Not. We've apparently gotten confused on just where the world was about 75-100 years ago and the millions of lives that were lost because some people can't seem to overcome some of their emotional disequilibrium (or outright sociopathic tendencies) in dealing with those who disagree with them.

So, let's very quickly review just where we've come and where we might be going in this big tri-color country as we sit among the political briar patch, batting each other over the head while we stand in this even larger global matrix which we seem so PROUD to lead:

Now, whether you're Christian or you identify as something else ideologically: what kind of world do you want to continue to live in and what kind of people can actually bring that about?
I want to live in a world where people live their lives without unlawful curtailment of their freedom by others. Civically educated and disciplined people can bring this about, provided they are the majority.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think part of the answer lies in the linkage between rightwing religion and politics in recent decades and the fearful reaction of the left to that.

Indeed. Alot of these groups actually undermine liberal democracies by promoting illiberal values and uncivil and/or unreasonable discourse. When a pastor preaches about how gays are a curse or global warming isn't happening (or the earth is flat?), they are not contributing to the common good.

I have friends on all sides of the spectrum. One thing we can all agree upon is people need to get out of tribes, and remember we are all human beings. Tribes tend to bring these monolithic stereotypes, and don't know what to do with those that don't fit the mold they created. So, they tend to attack them.

It's challenging, even in the best of places. Yesterday we hung out at church at vespers and we had supper, and I could sense some anxiety from some of the older people not knowing how to relate to us, and we are only about 20-30 years younger than they are (perhaps part of the problem, to, is that we look younger than we actually are? People mistake us for being in our 20's or 30's). I think that's why tolerance is more of a discipline than a given, and why its so easy to go back to our tribalism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I watched the emblemed video. I’d have to say that in today’s world there is no “human rights” certainly none that are universal. Human rights are a man made concept. These rights are granted to you by the State or by superstates such as the EU and then UN. That often give with one hand and take with the other in order to maintain control.

I know this is a Christian forum but regardless I see this as a big appeal of religion in the past. God given rights that are/were above human authority. Without that human rights are just a tool or a luxury of Western society.

Human rights violations are the leading cause (officially) of military intervention at least since the 90s. The punishment for violation is always selectively enforced.

This may be more true of the rest of the world outside of the USA. As you have certain rights enshrined in the constitution; Others are not so lucky.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Minorities are more likely to resemble 'tribes' than whites in America. They should try harder to resemble the majority.
No, they should resemble themselves and be accepted as such. You'll like that idea better when "whites" are no longer the majority.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That video discounts the role religion, specifically Christianity, played in contributing to the notion of human rights. Plus its retelling of the French revolution was overly Anglophilic.

Reactions: BWV 565
Upvote 0

BWV 565

Mar 28, 2019
Scotland
✟10,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, they should resemble themselves and be accepted as such. You'll like that idea better when "whites" are no longer the majority.

I think your wrong here I lived in Japan for two years. They expect you to behave according to your laws and customs or at least do not openly violate them in public.

Cultural relativism is a terrible idea that seems to be rather infectious among certain groups of Westerners. If a large group of immigrants move into an area and start raping the women and children of the native people; As they find it culturally acceptable. Then this should be tolerated?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think your wrong here I lived in Japan for two years. They expect you to behave according to your laws and customs or at least do not openly violate them in public.

Cultural relativism is a terrible idea that seems to be rather infectious among certain groups of Westerners. If a large group of immigrants move into an area and start raping the women and children of the native people; As they find it culturally acceptable. Then this should be tolerated?
Cultural relativism is not the same thing as legal relativism. If a large group of immigrants move into an area and continue to celebrate their traditional festivals, wear traditional dress and worship their traditional God in a way that does not violate local laws, why should I have a problem with it? I see no reason that they should be required to "act white."

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Here we are, one big happy family in the U.S., right? Not. We've apparently gotten confused on just where the world was about 75-100 years ago and the millions of lives that were lost because some people can't seem to overcome some of their emotional disequilibrium (or outright sociopathic tendencies) in dealing with those who disagree with them.

So, let's very quickly review just where we've come and where we might be going in this big tri-color country as we sit among the political briar patch, batting each other over the head while we stand in this even larger global matrix which we seem so PROUD to lead:

Now, whether you're Christian or you identify as something else ideologically: what kind of world do you want to continue to live in and what kind of people can actually bring that about?
A two part question!!

Okay, for the first part: Utopia for me would be where people throughout the world lived the Two Great Commandments of Jesus of Nazareth.

For the second part: I don't know if there is a 'kind' of people who could actually bring that about.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums