Just found out one of my coworkers is a psychic!

continueinfaith

Jan 1, 2016
USA
✟10,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well this is awkward. One of my coworkers, a lady I'll call "Rita" (not her real name of course) is a psychic on the side. I learned this last night when the manager casually asked me if I knew Rita did "spiritual readings". I was astonished and said no, I had no idea. She (the manager) said yes, she'd seen her Facebook page and she does all these readings for people, and she has hundreds of positive reviews and well over a thousand followers.

When I got home I looked up Rita's name and found her page. There were also links there to a personal website she has devoted to her spiritual business. Rita does Tarot and astrology readings as well as writing very New Age articles and blogs. She's into animal totems and other similar things. I didn't spend a lot of time reading through everything as I have a strong dislike of that stuff, but I wanted to see just what all she was into. One of her blogs was all about "finding yourself" and "believing in yourself" and that all religion is "poison". Basically the old "You are God/God is you" lie that's been floating around for a long time.

I'm usually pretty good at discerning people. If there's something spiritually "off" about someone I usually pick up on that. I think most of us do to some degree. But I've been working alongside Rita for over a year and never had any idea- at all- that she had these beliefs. I have to work later today, and I don't know if Rita is working today or not, but she will be soon. I think I'll be uncomfortable around her now knowing what I do. Especially if I need a ride home from work (which I sometimes do) and she offers to take me and there's no one else. I'm just not sure how to handle this situation.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well this is awkward. One of my coworkers, a lady I'll call "Rita" (not her real name of course) is a psychic on the side. I learned this last night when the manager casually asked me if I knew Rita did "spiritual readings". I was astonished and said no, I had no idea. She (the manager) said yes, she'd seen her Facebook page and she does all these readings for people, and she has hundreds of positive reviews and well over a thousand followers.

When I got home I looked up Rita's name and found her page. There were also links there to a personal website she has devoted to her spiritual business. Rita does Tarot and astrology readings as well as writing very New Age articles and blogs. She's into animal totems and other similar things. I didn't spend a lot of time reading through everything as I have a strong dislike of that stuff, but I wanted to see just what all she was into. One of her blogs was all about "finding yourself" and "believing in yourself" and that all religion is "poison". Basically the old "You are God/God is you" lie that's been floating around for a long time.

I'm usually pretty good at discerning people. If there's something spiritually "off" about someone I usually pick up on that. I think most of us do to some degree. But I've been working alongside Rita for over a year and never had any idea- at all- that she had these beliefs. I have to work later today, and I don't know if Rita is working today or not, but she will be soon. I think I'll be uncomfortable around her now knowing what I do. Especially if I need a ride home from work (which I sometimes do) and she offers to take me and there's no one else. I'm just not sure how to handle this situation.

"Basically the old "You are God/God is you" lie that's been floating around for a long time."

Yep ... and this lie started with lucifer/satan.

I doubt she is any kind of a threat to you. Who knows perhaps you will have opportunities to share Jesus with her if conversations ever comes up. If they do then you can share what you believe and why you believe it.

Upvote 0

Cm1989

Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
✟15,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being that it's work and not someone at church or elsewhere that you discovered their personal beliefs I don't see why you should be concerned you didn't know this. Coworkers don't tend to share as much about personal lives as in other circles.

I personally would be interested to ask questions about how she came about these beliefs and why she believes them to be true. Perfect opportunity to share the gospel if she does allow a spiritual conversation.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being that it's work and not someone at church or elsewhere that you discovered their personal beliefs I don't see why you should be concerned you didn't know this.
The OP is concerned that her spiritual discernment did not pick up on it. That is not anything that can be discovered by actual information.

All of the gifts, including discerning of spirits, is by Holy Spirit revelation. We do not have independent control over them. We cannot just “prophesy” and it be God and true any time we like; and we can discern ONLY when God chooses to reveal something to us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My impression from reading your post, continueinfaith, is that your co-worker has made a point of keeping that part of her life separate from her work environment.

If that is so, I cannot imagine that she would suddenly start recruiting you as a client or bringing up her religious beliefs and practices in conversation with you. Don't avoid her (unless she does) would be my advice.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just not sure how to handle this situation.

You can avoid her or look for opportunities to talk with her. She’s obviously very deep into her beliefs as you are, so it seems unlikely either of you will change the other. The difference is your point of view is grounded in the Word of God. You have power she can only imagine.

If she ever tries to entice you with her point of view you can simply say something like, “I’m a devoted Christian so those ideas aren’t compatible with my point of view.”

And if she wants to challenge your point of view with something toxic about religion you can simply say, “That has not been my experience.” This will be your opportunity to take the conversation further or leave it right there.

My guess is she’ll be respectful of your point of view and you should also respect her free will to make the choice to believe or not believe. I think it’s probably best to offer any Christian theology in small nuggets of gold rather than long speeches.

This is an opportunity and a challenge. Let God take the lead.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
about "finding yourself" and "believing in yourself" and that all religion is "poison"

You have been told by a manager, so it is clear she told others but not you.
Have you been open about your Christian faith to others at work?

May I sugest that you continue to be open and tell her that a manger told you she is 'psychic' and tell her if you already havent that you are a Christian of what ever variety you are. Let her know you are there to work and to work with all your collegues.

Continue to treat her as a friend and let her raise the issue of what you and her believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

continueinfaith

Jan 1, 2016
USA
✟10,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have been told by a manager, so it is clear she told others but not you.
Have you been open about your Christian faith to others at work?

May I sugest that you continue to be open and tell her that a manger told you she is 'psychic' and tell her if you already havent that you are a Christian of what ever variety you are. Let her know you are there to work and to work with all your collegues.

Continue to treat her as a friend and let her raise the issue of what you and her believe.
The manager didn't find out because Rita said anything to her, but because she was looking at her Facebook page (for whatever reason). That was how she found out about Rita's psychic business.

I do try to express my faith at work, wherever possible. Of course in a secular work environment I'm limited in what I can say, but when I see an opportunity I've been getting better at sharing. And I'll continue to look for new opportunities in light of what I learned about my coworker.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Why would it matter? I would think that if you start treating her differently because she has different views than you, then are you justifying her blog post that religion is poison. Right? If you start treating her badly, or avoiding her because she doesn't believe in your religion... that is just proving her blog post right.

Is that what Jesus did? He told everyone who didn't believe in him yet, to go away because they were evil pagans?

How are you going to reach the lost sinners, if you are uncomfortable around them?

And honestly, I hate to be a little brutal about this.... but you know what the Bible says about gossip right? You know that you should not be talking about your co-workers behind their back, or digging up dirt on them on the internet.

Next time your manager or someone at work say "you know about so-and-so" You tell its none of your business.

Maybe you should be more uncomfortable with your own sins, than worrying about what your co-worker is engaged in.

And don't get me wrong. I've made the same mistake myself in the past, but going forward I try and mind my own business, and deal with my own faults. I have enough problems dealing with my own sin. I don't need to be worried what my lost co-workers are doing. You do realize it is a little odd to be surprised, that pagans who don't believe in the Lord, are not following his laws.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

continueinfaith

Jan 1, 2016
USA
✟10,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would it matter? I would think that if you start treating her differently because she has different views than you, then are you justifying her blog post that religion is poison. Right? If you start treating her badly, or avoiding her because she doesn't believe in your religion... that is just proving her blog post right.

Is that what Jesus did? He told everyone who didn't believe in him yet, to go away because they were evil pagans?

How are you going to reach the lost sinners, if you are uncomfortable around them?

And honestly, I hate to be a little brutal about this.... but you know what the Bible says about gossip right? You know that you should not be talking about your co-workers behind their back, or digging up dirt on them on the internet.

Next time your manager or someone at work say "you know about so-and-so" You tell its none of your business.

Maybe you should be more uncomfortable with your own sins, than worrying about what your co-worker is engaged in.

And don't get me wrong. I've made the same mistake myself in the past, but going forward I try and mind my own business, and deal with my own faults. I have enough problems dealing with my own sin. I don't need to be worried what my lost co-workers are doing. You do realize it is a little odd to be surprised, that pagans who don't believe in the Lord, are not following his laws.
This is why I don't often post here but mostly lurk. I try to ask for advice when something is bothering me but usually end up getting "slapped" by someone and made to feel guilty. When I wrote this, I was still reeling and didn't take the time to properly think it through. I had no intention of treating her differently. What I was getting at was more how should I act around her (not how should I treat her), and especially if I am in a position to need to accept a ride home from her at some point, whether that is acceptable. And maybe ideas about things I could say to her or around her without sounding judgemental or condemning. In a work environment I'm really limited on what I can say or do.

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why I don't often post here but mostly lurk. I try to ask for advice when something is bothering me but usually end up getting "slapped" by someone and made to feel guilty. When I wrote this, I was still reeling and didn't take the time to properly think it through. I had no intention of treating her differently. What I was getting at was more how should I act around her (not how should I treat her), and especially if I am in a position to need to accept a ride home from her at some point, whether that is acceptable. And maybe ideas about things I could say to her or around her without sounding judgemental or condemning. In a work environment I'm really limited on what I can say or do.

I am guessing she probably knew about your faith already since you said you do show it at work sometimes - or perhaps something like a cross necklace you've worn if you wear them - so never thought to bring it up. There's also a lot of people out there who are trained for work to never discuss religion or beliefs like that in the work place, I was myself for the most part when in school. It can create too many issues so it's best to keep it work related and professional. As for finding out this about her, I don't see any issue with you accepting rides or still being friends with her. It doesn't make her a bad person, just surprises you to find out she was into this stuff and you didn't have any idea. Personally I'd avoid discussing her beliefs with her since it sounds like you two aren't compatible on that. If she ever asks you about God, then of course answer honestly, but otherwise I wouldn't think about it much or let it change anything between you two.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Relax. "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." - 1 John 4:4

Pray for her. Don't sin against her, don't let your thoughts concerning her to cause you to sin, don't sin against other people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

So generally, if people give me advice that doesn't fit with my reality... I accept that they just don't understand. And that's ok. There is nothing wrong with people not understanding.

Honestly, if I mis-read your post, that you had no intention of treating her differently, then obviously my advice doesn't apply, does it? No need to get offended. All of us on a forum, can only give you the best advice we can, based on the limited information we get from you. That's all we can do.

I don't know you personally. Nor was I involved in the situation. All I can say is that my advice was the best I could give, with the best of intentions.

So again, my advice would be don't treat her any differently than you did before you knew what she was into. Why would it matter? So if you need a ride, and she is willing, why not?

I had a lesbian co-worker ask me for a ride to work. I went and picked her up, and drove her to work with me. Why does it matter? I have no reason to expect this person who doesn't believe in G-d, to follow G-d's law. My job is to be a Christian, and to treat everyone well.

As for reaching out to her, I would reach out to her the same way I would any co-worker. Basically, whatever you would do, if you didn't know she was into this stuff... is what I would do.

So if you would not be saying something to her, if you didn't know what she was into, then I would not say anything.

If you would say something to her, even if you didn't know what she was into, then I would say it.

Treat her like you would any other person. The absolute worst thing you can do, is say something to her, specifically because she's into this pagan crap. Because if she finds out that the only reason you are saying something to her is because she's into pagan crap, then she will reject you.

She will think its just another Christian who feels they need to evangelize me because I'm a heathen, and otherwise they wouldn't care.

Mark Gungor, who is a pastor from celebration church in Wisconsin, has a great story on this, when he ran into a Witch.

So if I get the story right, he was in another city to do an outreach. While out sight seeing or something, a woman he happened across, who told him she was a witch, invited him to a bar for a drink. So he went and shared a beer with the witch. She asked if he was a liberal or a conservative pastor, and he said conservative. Then she explained that no conservative christian had ever been nice or friendly with her in the past.

She ended up coming to his out reach the following day, and told him that she almost wanted to be a christian.

And that's my general view on reaching out to people. Treat them as you would anyone. You don't need to confront her paganism, or her anti-religious attitudes. Just be nice, be friendly, and when she offers you a ride home... take it.

Upvote 0

continueinfaith

Jan 1, 2016
USA
✟10,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So generally, if people give me advice that doesn't fit with my reality... I accept that they just don't understand. And that's ok. There is nothing wrong with people not understanding.

Honestly, if I mis-read your post, that you had no intention of treating her differently, then obviously my advice doesn't apply, does it? No need to get offended. All of us on a forum, can only give you the best advice we can, based on the limited information we get from you. That's all we can do.

I don't know you personally. Nor was I involved in the situation. All I can say is that my advice was the best I could give, with the best of intentions.

So again, my advice would be don't treat her any differently than you did before you knew what she was into. Why would it matter? So if you need a ride, and she is willing, why not?

I had a lesbian co-worker ask me for a ride to work. I went and picked her up, and drove her to work with me. Why does it matter? I have no reason to expect this person who doesn't believe in G-d, to follow G-d's law. My job is to be a Christian, and to treat everyone well.

As for reaching out to her, I would reach out to her the same way I would any co-worker. Basically, whatever you would do, if you didn't know she was into this stuff... is what I would do.

So if you would not be saying something to her, if you didn't know what she was into, then I would not say anything.

If you would say something to her, even if you didn't know what she was into, then I would say it.

Treat her like you would any other person. The absolute worst thing you can do, is say something to her, specifically because she's into this pagan crap. Because if she finds out that the only reason you are saying something to her is because she's into pagan crap, then she will reject you.

She will think its just another Christian who feels they need to evangelize me because I'm a heathen, and otherwise they wouldn't care.

Mark Gungor, who is a pastor from celebration church in Wisconsin, has a great story on this, when he ran into a Witch.

So if I get the story right, he was in another city to do an outreach. While out sight seeing or something, a woman he happened across, who told him she was a witch, invited him to a bar for a drink. So he went and shared a beer with the witch. She asked if he was a liberal or a conservative pastor, and he said conservative. Then she explained that no conservative christian had ever been nice or friendly with her in the past.

She ended up coming to his out reach the following day, and told him that she almost wanted to be a christian.

And that's my general view on reaching out to people. Treat them as you would anyone. You don't need to confront her paganism, or her anti-religious attitudes. Just be nice, be friendly, and when she offers you a ride home... take it.
Thank you for your reply. This is a lot to chew on and sound advice.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0