Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most believers have the same understanding of what this means. To them it means not saying the Lord's name casually, or in some kind of expletive. Frankly, I do not think this is what it means. Of course, since most do, I will not use the Lord's name in such ways out of respect for their views.

However, I think it means much more to God. To be in covenant is to bear the name of the Lord. We are called Christians and live in the benefit of that covenant. If we put our trust in the things of this world in stead of God, that would be an example of taking the Lord's name in vain.

Also, if we make promises and don't keep them, that, to me, would be another example of taking the Lord's name in vain.

If we live and think carnally or simply naturally, we are taking the Lord's name in vain.

As I said, food for thought.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most believers have the same understanding of what this means. To them it means not saying the Lord's name casually, or in some kind of expletive. Frankly, I do not think this is what it means. Of course, since most do, I will not use the Lord's name in such ways out of respect for their views.

However, I think it means much more to God. To be in covenant is to bear the name of the Lord. We are called Christians and live in the benefit of that covenant. If we put our trust in the things of this world in stead of God, that would be an example of taking the Lord's name in vain.

Also, if we make promises and don't keep them, that, to me, would be another example of taking the Lord's name in vain.

If we live and think carnally or simply naturally, we are taking the Lord's name in vain.

I like that you are thinking deeper about this!

In our Baptist Catechism (a small book of questions and answers to disciple new believers and children in the principles of the faith) we teach that the third commandment encompasses anything by which God makes himself known whether that be his name, title, attributes, ordinances, words, or works. We treat his name with disrespect by our godless living, we don't have to abuse it with our tongue.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Cool, cool.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,185.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I would like to add another - claiming "God said" when God didn't say is taking His name in vain. Because God's name is the face of His authority. Therefore anyone who prophesies "Thus saith the Lord..." when the Lord did not speak to them is taking His name in vain. Anyone who teaches something contrary to what God teaches "in His name" is doing the same. Anyone who quotes scripture supporting a false idea is also taking His name in vain, since it is misusing or misrepresenting His word.

Furthermore, anyone who claims to be a Christian or Jew and yet supports or does immoral or unethical practices also takes God's name in vain. This is why James wrote that breaking one commandment makes one guilty of all, because all the commandments are intricately intertwined, and not completely separate issues. We either love God, or not. 1 Jn. 5:3.
TD:)

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like that you are thinking deeper about this!

In our Baptist Catechism (a small book of questions and answers to disciple new believers and children in the principles of the faith) we teach that the third commandment encompasses anything by which God makes himself known whether that be his name, title, attributes, ordinances, words, or works. We treat his name with disrespect by our godless living, we don't have to abuse it with our tongue.

Well said, Jon.

I sometimes think the popular opinion on taking the Lord's name in vain is influenced by Jewish thinking. They consider the name too sacred to be uttered at all. So they call Him, Ha Shem (The Name). Instead of saying Yahweh, they say Adonai (Our Lords). When the Masoretic Jews of 900 AD made copies of the Old Testament, Hebrew had become a dead language. To preserve pronunciation they invented their vowel system. Not wanting the tetragrammaton of YHVH (Yahweh) pronounced, they inserted the vowels of adonai into YHVH to create Y(a)H(o)V(a)H creating Jehovah.

English translators of the Bible have followed that pattern changing Yahweh to either the LORD or Jehovah. Yet in the text, the Israelis of those eras said the name of Yahweh. How can anyone call upon the name of the Lord if no one is allowed to say his name?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to add another - claiming "God said" when God didn't say is taking His name in vain. Because God's name is the face of His authority. Therefore anyone who prophesies "Thus saith the Lord..." when the Lord did not speak to them is taking His name in vain. Anyone who teaches something contrary to what God teaches "in His name" is doing the same. Anyone who quotes scripture supporting a false idea is also taking His name in vain, since it is misusing or misrepresenting His word.

Furthermore, anyone who claims to be a Christian or Jew and yet supports or does immoral or unethical practices also takes God's name in vain. This is why James wrote that breaking one commandment makes one guilty of all, because all the commandments are intricately intertwined, and not completely separate issues. We either love God, or not. 1 Jn. 5:3.
TD:)

Excellent contributions, Tdidymas! I hate the "God said" (I am guilty of doing the same in the past) qualification, too. It is a silver bullet to end all further discussion. And there is no way you can prove God did not say, except if the content clearly violates Scriptures.

We certainly can say that LDS and Watchtower teachings takes the Lord's name in vain, but I think you are referring to genuine Christians doing the same. Take universal salvation as an example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums