Just finshed Reading James.

A

Antman_05

James 5:19-20
Jam 5:19 Brothers, if anyone among you err from the truth, and if anyone turns him back,
Jam 5:20 know that he who turns back the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

This says seems to say that those in the Truth can walk away from it can you guys help us out with that, as i know it goes against "P".

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Lets look at James 5:19-20 (KJV):

Jam 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
Jam 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Point 1: The Apostle James here is talking to the church, you can tell they are apart of the family of Christ by the use of the word Brethen.

Point 2: It talks about erring (walking away from) the truth, now the question gets asked what is the truth? John 14:6, Jesus says He is the truth, and it is the same greek word used here. So how can one walk away from the truth (Jesus) if they were never in the truth? It suggests a losing of salvation.

Point 3: It says 'let one convert him' Clearly suggesting that someone lost their salvation and they need to convert back.

Point 4: It says in verse 20 'That he that converts the sinner saves his soul from death' this is tied to verse 19, so a sinner (the one who was in truth) will die if he does not convert back. So it shows that he is now on a path to hell.

Upvote 0
A

Antman_05

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they were of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out so that it might be revealed that they were not all of us.
Inline with
Jam 5:19-20 Brothers, if anyone among you err from the truth, and if anyone turns him back, know that he who turns back the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

This seems to infer that he was never saved, as Christians aren't called siners, rather they are called Saints, so one could say James is saying Witness to them because they aren't really saved.

Upvote 0

Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here is what John Gill says about these passages:

Ver. 19. Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, &c.] Either from Christ, who is the truth, by departing from him, forsaking his ways, worship, and ordinances; or from the Scriptures of truth, not speaking according to them, and embracing notions that are contrary unto them; or from the Gospel, the word of truth, from the doctrine of faith, and from uprightness of life and conversation, after having made a profession of Christianity; for this is to be understood of one who has embraced the Christian religion, become a member of a church, and has walked in the path of truth and holiness, but now fallen into error, either in principle, or in practice, or both:

and one convert him; or turn him from his error, to truth again; for this designs not first conversion, or the turning of a sinner from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God, and from the evil of a man's heart and ways and from a dependence on his own righteousness, to the Lord Jesus Christ, to look to him for righteousness, life, and salvation, which is wholly and entirely God's work, and not man's; but conversion after backslidings; for a restoration from a fallen condition is sometimes so called, #Ps 51:1,2,13 Lu 22:32 and which one brother may be an instrument of to another, by showing him, and setting before him, the evil of his errors, whether in principle or practice; and by instructing him in the doctrines of the Gospel, and in the duties of religion; and by reproving him in meekness, and according to the rules of Christ; which means are sometimes blessed for the gaining of such; and which may be called conversion: and also, this is sometimes done by praying for him; and which seems chiefly to be intended here; for from praying for the healing of the diseases of the body, the apostle proceeds to encourage the saints to pray for one another, for the healing of the diseases of the mind; and suggests, that if prayer avails to the one, it may to the other; and which is the most desirable, and the greatest blessing, as follows.

Ver. 20. Let him know, &c.] And observe it for his encouragement:

that he which converteth a sinner from the error of his way; who is the instrument of restoring a backsliding professor, for such an one is meant by a sinner, and not a profane person; or of turning a poor bewildered believer, who is got out of the way of truth and holiness, into the right way again; or of convincing him of the error of his way, whether it be in point of doctrine, or of duty; and so of bringing him to the fold of Christ again, from whence he has strayed:

shall save a soul from death; not efficiently, but instrumentally, as in #1Ti 4:16 for otherwise Christ is the only Saviour; and he will be the means of saving "a soul," which is of more worth than a world; and that from death, the second death which lies in the separation of the soul from God, and in a sense of his wrath; which apostasy threatens with, and leads unto, if grace prevents not. The Alexandrian copy and others, and the Vulgate Latin version read, "his soul"; but the common reading is more emphatic; the Syriac and Arabic versions render it, "his own soul"; and the Ethiopic version, "himself," as respecting him that is the instrument of the conversion of the other, and not the person converted:

and shall hide a multitude of sins; either "his own," as the same versions read; and then the sense is, he shall be blessed with a discovery and application of the forgiveness of all his sins, though they have been many and great; or rather the sins of the person converted. ...

It says 'let one convert him' Clearly suggesting that someone lost their salvation and they need to convert back.

This is the Calvinist, not the Arminian forum, a person CANNOT lose their salvation. Here are some passages which prove the point.

Ro 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Antman_05 said:
1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they were of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out so that it might be revealed that they were not all of us.
i.e. they were not elect.

-- Radagast

Upvote 0