• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Just being vulnerable...

Seany111

Mar 14, 2018
London
✟8,218.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Youth Pastor, and have been doing this for many years now. If a young person came to me and shared a mental health concern i would be the first person to signpost them to a professional… yet despite this, i am the most reluctant person i know to seek help. So posting on here was my first step, and hopefully it will lead to more confidence in me to seek out more professional support.

A little bit more about me. I love reading, walking and spending time with people. Which is why i love my job, i get to spend my whole day with young people and can help them to see the best in themselves. I only wish i could see the best in myself. My favourite food is pasta… or a kebab depending on what mood you find me in. haha.

I struggle with the following:
- Rapid mood swings, i am either hyper or wanting to die. Never neutral.
- Deep overwhelming sadness.
- Waking up in the middle of the night and not able to get back to sleep.
- I also binge eat.
- I pretty much no longer enjoy any part of my life, despite it being fine.

I have been led to post on here because i feel like i am in a downward spiral. I feel as though in the last two months things have only been getting worse for me and i am genuinely worried where i will end up if i don't make changes now.

I am not looking for advice or bible quotes, they are lovely but I am well aware of scripture and all the self help stuff out there... I am more interested in community first and foremost. I believe that it is in community with each other and through the power of the Holy Spirit that we can experience transformation. I'm interested in journeying not a quick fix. Id love to chat with people on here, I'd love to hear your story and maybe somehow we can begin to start getting well.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Jeshu

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Community can be very helpful. In fact, it is essential for healing. James 5:16
But the power of Scripture should never be underestimated. The Word of God is life to those who find it and health to all there flesh. Meditate on Proverbs 4:20-22, especially on those nights when you can't get back to sleep.
Jesus said the Word is a seed. Plant it in your heart, water it by meditating on it and watch it grow. Healing is on the way. Psalm 107:20

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Youth Pastor, and have been doing this for many years now. If a young person came to me and shared a mental health concern i would be the first person to signpost them to a professional… yet despite this, i am the most reluctant person i know to seek help. So posting on here was my first step, and hopefully it will lead to more confidence in me to seek out more professional support.

A little bit more about me. I love reading, walking and spending time with people. Which is why i love my job, i get to spend my whole day with young people and can help them to see the best in themselves. I only wish i could see the best in myself. My favourite food is pasta… or a kebab depending on what mood you find me in. haha.

I struggle with the following:
- Rapid mood swings, i am either hyper or wanting to die. Never neutral.
- Deep overwhelming sadness.
- Waking up in the middle of the night and not able to get back to sleep.
- I also binge eat.
- I pretty much no longer enjoy any part of my life, despite it being fine.

I have been led to post on here because i feel like i am in a downward spiral. I feel as though in the last two months things have only been getting worse for me and i am genuinely worried where i will end up if i don't make changes now.

I am not looking for advice or bible quotes, they are lovely but I am well aware of scripture and all the self help stuff out there... I am more interested in community first and foremost. I believe that it is in community with each other and through the power of the Holy Spirit that we can experience transformation. I'm interested in journeying not a quick fix. Id love to chat with people on here, I'd love to hear your story and maybe somehow we can begin to start getting well.
Hi Seany. I have had depression for about 20 years. It started when I relocated my family to another state because of work. Here it is 20 years later and I still think it was the biggest mistake of my life - one that I'll always regret.

The only reason I'm still alive today is because I found a great therapist and an excellent psychiatrist. I spent an uncountable number of hours in talk therapy, and although it took me several years, my doctor and I finally landed on a drug combination that has kept me (relatively) normal. Which brings me to my question for you. Why are you opposed to finding a therapist and a psychiatrist? They will help you find some relief.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi welcome here on these forums and daring to voice your vulnerabilities, your symptoms sound very much like mine though i have not only bi-polar but also got psychosis and P.T.S.D.

Not to make you scared but as warning before i came down with full blown mental illness i was a youth worker and worked with kids on the streets, helping them access professional help and support as well as training for jobs. i loved my work like you do but ignored my own health and got very very ill. (In the end i thought i was some kind of superman who could work 24/7 without needing any sleep with my moods cycling that rapidly that everything in my ordered mind was wrecked loose and thrown all over the place into a place of utter confusion. Working with people can do that to you.)

i almost lost my faith squashed in the pit below with years of nightmares coming true coming my way. Please be careful you wouldn't want anything to snap in your mind like it did with me.

Having said that great seeing you here. i'm a regular visitor to these forums and found many good brothers and sisters to call my friends. With some i have face book friendships as well, and so we stay in contact and support and encourage one another. Very blessed indeed to get support, love and prayers this way. You are free to join us.

We usually meet here what are you feeling right now? (24)
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/what-are-you-feeling-right-now-24.7972147/
Peace

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0