Other Religion
[font=Helvetica, Arial]July 27, 2005 VNN8818 [/font]
wline.gif

George Harrison - "More Than My Disciple!"
wline.gif

[font=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica][size=-3]BY KULASEKHARA DAS[/size][/font]
wline.gif

gh_mala.jpg
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Times]EDITORIAL, Jul 27 (VNN) — Regarding the comments about George Harrison by Tripurari Maharaj that "Srila Prabhupada did not think George was ready, and history demonstrates that he was correct." I beg to differ, and would like to quote Srila Prabhupada on this subject:

"I think George does not require to become my formal disciple because he is already more than my disciple. He has sympathy for my movement and I have all blessings for him." [S.P. Letter to: Syamasundara, Los Angeles, 12 April, 1970]

Nanda Kumar relates that as Srila Prabhupad's servant he got to witness this direct exchange between Srila Prabhupad and George at Bhaktivedanta Manor:

"He went into the room and closed the door. I could not stay outside, I had to go in and see the exchange. I opened the door, and George was doing full dandavats and offering both prayers to Prabhupad, with perfect pronunciation. Prabhupad had an ear-to-ear smile. George got up and sat back by the door.

Prabhupad said "Come in, come in" and George edged forward towards Prabhupad's desk, very shy and respectful. Prabhupad said "No, here, here" and patted the asana he was sitting on. George came around his desk to the edge of his asana, and Prabhupad reached out and pulled him into his chest, hugging him, laughing, messing up his hair, and saying, "It is so good to see you. How is Patty?"

They had a wonderful conversation, where at one point George asked him if he should move into the temple and shave his head. I believe he would have if Prabhupad had said yes. But Prabhupad said emphatically "No! You have a great gift for the world in your music. Just continue your music and Krishna will be greatly pleased and He will bless you." Then he said "I will give you some ideas for your songs" and he got out Srila Bhaktivinode's Songbook and went over a number of the songs, reciting the translations for George.

It was soon after this that he wrote "My Sweet Lord." George came daily for a week, along with Ravi Shankar, to have Prabhupad's darsan in the afternoon. Ravi Shankar is a Bengali, so he and Prabhupad talked and laughed together as Bengalis."

The fact is that we are all such fallen souls with no qualification, that it is only by the mercy of the Guru that we can have any hope of going back to Godhead. "Gurudeva! Krpa-Bindu Diya," "Your mercy is all that I am made of." So we can understand that our only qualification for ever becoming actual servants of 'Our Sweet Lord', is to please the pure devotee. If one can achieve that then - initiated or not - one's future is blessed.

I talked to Shyamsundar recently, he and Mukunda Goswami were at George's bedside when he passed away. Shyamasundar said that George was very happy and looked like a young prince as he left his body.
[/font]

The Buddists have a saying that a picture is worth a thousand words.
Here are George's pictures and words...

GGrin.jpg

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.
But that is all I want to do
To give my love to you
That is all I'm living for,
Please let me love you more -
and that is all

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
PS, as to his music...
I have all his albums prior to "Cloud Nine"... I am a Beatles fan, and was a mad collector, and collected all their solo albums as well... just so my collection would be complete.

If you ever read "Revolution in the Head" by Ian Macdonald, he goes through the entire Beatles catalogue and critiques every one of their songs. He consistantly finds George Harrison's music pedestrian.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Montalban said:
His dislike for Christian religion was such that he personally funded the highly affronting "The Life of Brian".

Really? Well, while the death of anyone should almost always be mourned, I think that this would rule out any "tribute" from Christians.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
arunma said:
Really? Well, while the death of anyone should almost always be mourned, I think that this would rule out any "tribute" from Christians.

I gave my tribute - summary: sorry to see a second rate musician and anti-Christian pass on.

Other band members such as John Lennon and Paul McCartney who were, if best marginally indifferent to religion were by far and away (undisputed) better musicians.

George's lasting artistic contribution was the foundation of "Handmade films" which mocked Christ in "The Life of Brian", made light of the clergy in "The Missionary", etc.

We'll miss you, George!

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
New_Found_Faith said:
Most of the music he was involved with is quite old for my taste, personally. I did like some of the simple/classic songs like 'Here Comes The Sun' and number of the Beatles songs. We need a John Lenon tribute.
John Lennon, not that high in my books because of his ill-religious attitude was never-the-less a genius.

My favourite Beatles song was one that mostly was his; A Day in the Life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
Bremerton, WA ... for now
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... and as a teen, could play almost all of their songs. When I was older, I happened across a Beattles song on the radio and realized what mediocre musicians they really were.

Now ... as far as lyrics go, they had some great works. Eleanor Rigby is still regarded as one of the best written lyrics to date.

However ... as I've grown even older ... I've consecrated my music before God. I've decided that if something doesn't glorify God, then I don't want it influencing my life. So, there's little secular music I listen to. However, I can still have an appreciation for the talent it takes to write/record/play any type of music.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ron_the_Nazarene said:
... and as a teen, could play almost all of their songs. When I was older, I happened across a Beattles song on the radio and realized what mediocre musicians they really were.

Now ... as far as lyrics go, they had some great works. Eleanor Rigby is still regarded as one of the best written lyrics to date.

However ... as I've grown even older ... I've consecrated my music before God. I've decided that if something doesn't glorify God, then I don't want it influencing my life. So, there's little secular music I listen to. However, I can still have an appreciation for the talent it takes to write/record/play any type of music.

Actually, that parallels a lot of my own feeling on this. I collected anything to do with the Beatles, and bought lots of the stuff they worked on solo. Including "The Life of Brian" etc. Even got "Rupert the Bear" because the music was done by Paul McCartney, but like you, as I got older the ireligious nature of much of it has made me shelve it.

I used to love Monty Python, but their Harrison-funded travesty "Life of Brian" is something I will never watch again.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AElfwineNerevar said:

Life of Brian was great comedy come on now have a sense of humor and quit being so prudish.
As noted I used to find it funny. I don't anymore. Once I realised that the crucifixion of the Lord is not a subject to be parodied

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Montalban said:
I used to love Monty Python, but their Harrison-funded travesty "Life of Brian" is something I will never watch again.

Same here. Unfortunately I watched the movie as well. Believe it or not, it was my Christian friends who convinced me to watch it with them (I had no idea it was going to be a parody of the Gospel). Go figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

merryjig

May 1, 2005
✟15,232.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
oh stop being so boring, its hilarious, why do christians feel a need to be so defensive all the time(Jerry Spriner opera, da vinci code, life of brian etc) no wonder church attendance is lower than ever because all christianity ever tells anyone is that things are bad, these things are usually highly entertaining

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
merryjig said:
oh stop being so boring, its hilarious, why do christians feel a need to be so defensive all the time(Jerry Spriner opera, da vinci code, life of brian etc) no wonder church attendance is lower than ever because all christianity ever tells anyone is that things are bad, these things are usually highly entertaining

I find nothing entertaining about a parody of my religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
merryjig said:
If the subject had been made in an 'islamic' setting, rather than the Judeo-Christian, you would not have to worry about people writing posts of complaint. You'd have seen Geo. Harrison blown up in 1979

Upvote 0