Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a question for the Christian regulars here: I have long wondered why, since humans are the alleged height of God's Creation, the universe so BIG? The Earth and it's human inhabitants occupy such an infinitesimal spot in space that the rest of it all seems extremely superfluous. Why do you guys think the universe is so large?

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a question for the Christian regulars here: I have long wondered why, since humans are the alleged height of God's Creation, the universe so BIG? The Earth and it's human inhabitants occupy such an infinitesimal spot in space that the rest of it all seems extremely superfluous. Why do you guys think the universe is so large?

We're not the height of God's Creation.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, that's a minor detail completely incidental to the point. Question still remains. ;)

So now it's

"I have long wondered why,...retracted..., the universe so BIG? "
Correct ?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So now it's

"I have long wondered why,...retracted..., the universe so BIG? "
Correct ?

Sure, why not? I'm not going to edit the OP because I've heard that little detail suggested so much. Neither will I ask what the 'height of Creation' is in your opinion, because I'm not interested in that, only the answer to the question.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It'd be kinda crowded here with all those angels, wouldn't it?

Nah. They're invisible, so what does it matter? And, the question in the OP is a serious one. Even if your response was a serious one, I'm not sure that there (assuming angels exist of course) would be enough angels to fill even our galaxy, much less the entire universe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

So we can look at it and know God may or should exist.

Upvote 0

Tatian

Mar 10, 2011
Ah' coffee house. =)
✟15,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have long wondered why, since humans are the alleged height of God's Creation, the universe so BIG? The Earth and it's human inhabitants occupy such an infinitesimal spot in space that the rest of it all seems extremely superfluous. Why do you guys think the universe is so large?

I imagine you don't intend to imply that size equates worth. You wouldn't use this line of thinking if I compared a diamond the size of a baseball to a mound of dirt the size of a truck. Why should an immensly large universe detract man from his worth? Why do you suppose our location, the Milky way within it's galactic neighborhood is insignificant?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like this one. It is a little deep for atheists though.
I know -- I was flabbergasted at the reply.

Makes me wonder how sincere his question is, or why he even asked it.

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟17,737.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I just thought id say that, I didnt think your answer made sense either.
So if it is something that only a particular sect of christians would get (no doubt by virtue of some unorthodox definition of angel.)
Then you may have to elaborate, rather then assume ill-intent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jazer

That would only work as of late. What about the thousands of years prior to our knowledge of the expanse of the universe?
The stars have been there in the expanse a lot longer then man has been around to appreciate what God has done. I had a dream when I was a child about how large the universe is. So God can show us whatever He wants to show us at any time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just thought id say that, I didnt think your answer made sense either.
So if it is something that only a particular sect of christians would get (no doubt by virtue of some unorthodox definition of angel.)
Then you may have to elaborate, rather then assume ill-intent.
This universe is teeming with angels from end-to-end.

In fact, stars are the domiciles of angels; meaning angels live on stars.

If there are 200 billion galaxies in the universe, and there are 200 billion stars in each galaxy, then there are 200 billion billion angels in the universe.

Wouldn't it be a little crowded for them if they all lived on the earth, or even all lived in our galaxy?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I like this one. It is a little deep for atheists though.

How is that a little deep for atheists? Do you have some special knowledge about his response you'd care to share?

The question is sincere, and I asked because I'd like to know why Christians think the universe is so big. There's no ill intent, and it's not a trick question of any kind.

Upvote 0