Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems the longer I'm on this site...(not WWMC but other forums) the more I want to back away from Christianity because my idea of Christianity doesn't seem to fit with a lot of other people's, nor do I want it to. If their Christianity is the "right way", I want no part. Anyone else feel that way?

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
These forums are one of many reasons I think C. S. Lewis was right to say, more than a half century ago, that the very terms "Christian" and "Christianity" no longer have any real meaning as they have no consensus definition.

Many people feel as you do but, if it comes to a choice, give up "Christianity;" don't give up Christ!

Upvote 0

crepuscular

barking at crows
Jun 14, 2009
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking that someone 'eternal' would be . . . rather more multifaceted than any one of us alone can comprehend. At some point, one small facet of who Christ is was latched onto by the Christian subculture and perpetuated into the pop icon he is today, and that's all many Christians without a personal relationship with him know about. If I still believed in THAT Christ, I wouldn't be madly in love with him.

I agree with Bob:
if it comes to a choice, give up "Christianity;" don't give up Christ!

Don't be a follower of the subculture, be a follower of Christ.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I would never give up Christ. I just see Christ as being so different from what "Christians" believe...
Believe in what you see as the truth. What others believe isn't your concern, except as they may help enlighten you, or you them.

Upvote 0

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
The Road to Damascus, Virginia U.S.A.
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems the longer I'm on this site...(not WWMC but other forums) the more I want to back away from Christianity because my idea of Christianity doesn't seem to fit with a lot of other people's, nor do I want it to. If their Christianity is the "right way", I want no part. Anyone else feel that way?

I feel the same way. Once or twice a week, is about all I can stand to be here. Believe it or not CF is the best of all of the "Christian" forums I've visited.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Concentrate on the good aspects of Christianity, and there are many to choose from.

Distance your self from the wrong ideas.

If more Christians did this, I think the name would lose some of its tarnish.

Out of curiosity, perhaps you'd care to share a few of your ideas about which parts of Christianity you feel are good or not so good.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Out of curiosity, perhaps you'd care to share a few of your ideas about which parts of Christianity you feel are good or not so good.

The good parts would be loving your neighbor as yourself, and being peaceful. (that's obviously not all, but those are the biggest things that I can think of off the top of my head)

The parts where I disagree are all the condemnation that occurs. I'm socially very liberal and I feel like that doesn't fit with being a "proper" Christian because I am pro choice and I am pro same sex rights, etc.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ever see the movie Walk the Line?

It contains this gem of dialogue:

Record Company Executive: Your fans are church folk, Johnny. Christians. They don't wanna hear you singing to a bunch of murderers and rapists, tryin' to cheer 'em up.
Johnny Cash: [pause] Well, they're not Christians, then.

Source: Walk the Line (2005) - Memorable quotes

There are a lot of people who are Christians in the worst sense of the word. They like to pick at the motes in their neighbors' eyes while blithely ignoring the planks in their own. Christianity, at its best is about love, not condemnation.

Don't let those who get it wrong, no matter how loudly they shout, hijack your faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with what D.W. and others on here have said (shock I know..). I would like to add, as well as not letting them hijack your own faith, be patient with them. You know how patient our Father is with you from your own experience, so try and be patient with them in turn.

Perhaps the grace of your patience can soften a heart or two.

(Not to say there's never a place for righteous anger, but I would hesitate to rush to that anger)

Upvote 0