Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, been a member of a church here in my hometown for a few years now. Slowly been given more responsibility in the church, to the point where I now run the sound booth and help do music whenever the young adult band is to perform. Lately, our church has come to the realization that, due to dropping attendance and dropping monetary giving [amounts], we'll most likely not last the year at the current rate. Tonight, our youth pastor stepped down in order to try to help the church save money. For a few years, every summer, I've helped out at a local church's VBS thing that they do. Lately, been feeling kinda like God's leading/telling me to start attending there, but that might just be my own personal thing. I also feel kinda bad cause I'm starting to get these feelings when my current church is already hurting for people and money. Really could just use some guidance and prayer. Obviously been praying and will continue to pray about this.

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's a difficult one, not wanting to abandon those you share fellowship with. In a sense if the church is facing closure and the leadership don't believe God is going to turn things around, it'll be a moot point. But only you can decide whether to leave before that.

My church also has dropping numbers and funds but as part of a large denomination, would be propped up for some time to come. There are theological problems in the church, and more-so in the denomination. I'm struggling over whether to follow my family and leave the denomination, or stay when they do things I see as unbiblical for the sake of the children and people I work with.

Although God is definitely using me, who is to say he can't use me more elsewhere? But you've answered your own question with prayer being the important aspect. Paul allowed himself to be guided by the Holy Spirit in where to minister. That's not to say it'll be easy.

Reactions: sunshinesmile
Upvote 0
P

pittsflyer

Is this a brand new chruch? If not why isent the chruch building paid for (usually there is some group that put alot of money in to buy the building and they hold the title)? Why is the youth pastor collecting a check, why cant he just do it part time in addition to a regular job?

The church should have tax exempt status so there should not be any property tax. The only full time staff member should be the pastor himself and even that is a stretch. It does not take 40 hrs of work to come up with a sunday sermon. I think alot of churches fleece people and its not right. The only time you need full heat or full AC is on sunday for a few hrs or special events/wed service, the rest of the time the temp can be set at 55 in winter for a heat setting or like 80 in summer for AC then your power/gas bill will be low.

If the building is not paid for you can offer up a buy in (say divide it up among 4 trusted people who have to pay a quarter of the value and they all share the deed with 4 "ands").

Tithes in the OT were never just throwing money into a pot and it disappears, they got real tangible land and other assets and the tithe was the tax. This chruch is offering no such thing and I think people are wising up to that, they have their own homes to buy and family to take care of, they did not inherit a promise land with barns homes and live stock.

Upvote 0

colorblindlover

Dec 18, 2010
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

This struggle deals with an issue I've had to come to terms with personally... whether to leave a church that you have invested many aspects of your life into or not.

Here's what you may want to consider: have you sacrificed a lot in other situations or relationships and felt guilty parting with them in the past? If so, why have you felt guilty? Explore any other feelings that you're experiencing due to this dilemma.

Sometimes, as Christians, we feel guilty about a lot of things that God doesn't want us to feel that way about. Leaving a church or even a relationship or friendship is one such thing. We feel like we have to sacrifice or "be a good Christian" and rescue something or someone that we have invested into. Sometimes, God wants us to come to the rescue. Other times, He is using the separation to lead us in a new direction.

Ask yourself, is the new direction I want to go going to benefit people for His glory? If so, maybe it's not such a bad decision. Ask yourself, is the church I'm a part of going in a direction that will glorify God? If so, maybe you can re-evaluate your part in that ministry and decide from there.

Like others have said, it won't be easy. I recently left a church that I had been a part of since I was 4 years old (and I'm in my mid 20s now), and it was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. The situation is different, but the guilt and heartache was similar. I had fears that people would look down on me for the change, and still feel a little guilty for not visiting. But recently, I realized that I just fit better with my new church. My old church was big and loud and I had never met the senior pastors (and that's great for some) and my new church is smaller and newer and I know the pastors personally. I feel like God is refreshing me through the change.

Your situation may be different, but the decision process may also be similar... just think about how you would respond to a friend going through the same situation as you. Would you make them feel guilty, or urge them to follow the peace in their heart that's leading them one way or the other? Try doing the same for yourself that you would do for a close friend. I hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0