• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Judging someone's weight

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Should Christians judge an above-average weight person as gluttonous, when weight gain could be caused by medical issues or is a side effect of a medication? Some people have low-metabolism that even with a healthy diet, it takes more exercise than others for them to see the result.

Last edited:

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gluttony is a sin but it's not related to being overweight.

glutton
H2151
???
za^lal
zaw-lal'
A primitive root (compare H2107); to shake (as in the wind), that is, to quake; figuratively to be loose morally, worthless or prodigal

H2151
???
za^lal
BDB Definition:
1) to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to be worthless, be insignificant
1a2) to make light of, squander, be lavish with
2) to shake, tremble, quake
1a) (Niphal) to shake, quake
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root [compare H2107]
Same Word by TWOT Number: 553

A glutton is not a fat person but a person with shaky or questionable morals with no regard to body size.

Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Christ was accused of gluttony but not because he was fat or ate too much but he was seen eating and drinking with sinners and publicans so the Jews thought him to be of questionable morals. Of course, there is no evidence at all that he overate or overdrank. It was more about who he spent his time with that the Jews tried to use against him.

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Should Christians judge an above-average weight person as gluttonous, when weight gain could be caused by medical issues or is a side effect of a medication? Some people have low-metabolism that even with a healthy diet, it takes more exercise than others for them to see the result.

We are called to be kind to everyone regardless of anything, physical or otherwise.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God is the only Judge. Scripture tells us we are not to judge anyone, so doing that is a sin.

However, there is one kind of weight gain that we are free to judge as GOOD: pregnancy.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Difficult question. I used to be quite the little fatty and I'm still well into what would be considered chubby by most people. For me to judge someone else for their weight is to judge myself as well. I recognized that I had a problem and took active steps to do something about it, but I don't see many others like me doing the same. Many seem to have given up and resigned themselves to being fat and keeping poor diet and activity habits.

I don't think I'm qualified to speak to their sin if their weight is a result of sin. I'm a sinful wretch myself. If I judge a person for their weight, I think I'm judging them for their lack of action to do something about it. Becoming healthier is a LOT of hard work. It seems a lot of people just don't want to put that kind of work into anything these days.

• Informative
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is the only Judge. Scripture tells us we are not to judge anyone, so doing that is a sin..

Well, no.

Nowhere does scripture define "judging" per se as a sin. Scripture commands judgment. When you have a group of people who should be operating in synergy, judgment is required for those who abuse the close relationships that should exist within the Body of Christ. But scripture requires that judgment be done correctly.

See Matthew 18 and 1 Corinthians 5 for correct circumstances and methods by which Christians should judge other Christians.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Weight is the elephant in the room no one wishes to discuss. To turn a blind eye to someone’s struggles is unChristlike. We’re all guilty of doing this from time to time.

Nevertheless, we can lovingly come alongside our brethren whether their struggle is due to diet or medical issues and lend support through prayer and encouragement. We needn’t trample feelings to convey our support and accountability if needed.

Those with nutritional, fitness, and culinary knowledge could enrich our community and settings if we utilized their expertise. We would be healthier as a unit and convey a positive example of togetherness and grace that others could emulate.

The remedy for our ails is seated on high and right in our midst. We need only ask.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Weight is the elephant in the room no one wishes to discuss. To turn a blind eye to someone’s struggles is unChristlike. We’re all guilty of doing this from time to time.

Nevertheless, we can lovingly come alongside our brethren whether their struggle is due to diet or medical issues and lend support through prayer and encouragement. We needn’t trample feelings to convey our support and accountability if needed.

Those with nutritional, fitness, and culinary knowledge could enrich our community and settings if we utilized their expertise. We would be healthier as a unit and convey a positive example of togetherness and grace that others could emulate.

The remedy for our ails is seated on high and right in our midst. We need only ask.

With regard to weight, there are lots of ways the Western (particularly American) world system is killing us. When I look at the condition of black people today compared to when I was young, I see clearly that something is being done to us by the ways of this world. In another twenty years, diabetes and heart disease will wipe though the black community like the Holocaust. The factors are many, but they can be identified and rectified, rather than hiding behind the faux sanctimony of "not being judgmental."

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
With regard to weight, there are lots of ways the Western (particularly American) world system is killing us.

I agree. I attribute my approach to food to three factors: the Holy Spirit’s guidance, whole foods seasonal eating, and the rejection of many of the tenets of the body positivity movement.

For me personally, it’s wrong to violate my temple. That goes well beyond food. I’m referencing a consciousness. Not self-flagellation. It matters not what society says or does. Their philosophy cannot be my barometer. I must look to Him.

It’s not about scaling the mountain overnight but making measured changes that build unto the other over time. Convenience is our greatest threat. The ease comes at a cost of caloric meals laden with sugar and fat that few will burn off. Not to mention the sodium.

The greatest defense against convenience is preparing your own food. Developing your palate will enable you to amplify flavor without harmful substitutes. Good ingredients often result in smaller portions.

Everything has increased in scale. Our plates are larger. We supersize standard meals without realizing the damage we’re doing. Getting back in the kitchen is a must as is tasting real food once more. Put down the candy bar and grab a wedge of dark chocolate. You’ll wonder why you ever bothered with the other.

The Western diet has many pitfalls. Weston Price studied its affects on many cultures and the physical changes they underwent as a result of its consumption. I agree with his idea that foods indigenous to our genetic makeup are generally best.

Although I’m a woman of color, my Creole roots and French ancestry have influenced my diet. That is my approach today. I eat what the ground produces in its season. Taste and portion control are my focuses. I use butter, cream, olive and other oils, and consume wine. And I love cheese and charcuterie!

I don’t have a penchant for deep-fried foods, low-fat or refined products. Freshness is a must. I prefer the baker’s bread (if they use natural yeast) over commercial brands. Sugary sweets are unappealing. A homemade galette or gelato is far better.

This approach has kept me free of weight-related diseases. I make a lot of products at home. Including condiments. I enjoy my meals far more today than I did in the past.

Lifestyle changes can’t be undertaken until we’ve reached a point where we’re willing to admit our behavior is harming us. No physician can bring you to that place. It begins within.

Upvote 0