St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
'' A federal judge in Pennsylvania has temporarily blocked implementation of the Trump administration’s new birth-control rules, which create broad religious and moral exemptions for employers seeking not to provide employees contraceptive health coverage.

U.S. District Judge Wendy Beetlestone became the first to move on the new rules, which were issued in October and immediately implemented. The rules created a sweeping exemption for employers who object to the Obama-era mandate that employers must cover contraception without copayments or other out-of-pocket costs..."

Only the first skirmish in what will be a protracted legal battle. The Trump rule would exempt publicly owned companies from the birth control mandate if there is a moral or religious objection. But really--how can a corporation that is owned by, let's say, 2 million shareholders, have one, individual moral or religious opinion? The idea is preposterous. It deserves to be trashed.

The Trump rule is nothing more than pandering to religious conservatives. Seems like their mantra is: "Control women. Not guns."

Judge Temporarily Blocks Trump Administration’s Birth-Control Rule

BTW: Judge Wendy Beetlestone. Is that not a great name? Sounds like a character in a Harry Potter novel. :oldthumbsup:

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,172,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hope the Trump ruling is upheld. The government shouldn't force citizens to violate their consciences.
I get to quit funding US foreign policy?

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,172,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You don't own it.
I’m being forced to fund things that violate my conscience, or do us atheist scum just have to suck it up because us disagreeing with the law is totes different?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I’m being forced to fund things that violate my conscience, or do us atheist scum just have to suck it up because us disagreeing with the law is totes different?
Foreign policy isn't personal property. If you owned a restaurant and didn't want to serve Presbyterians, that would be your right as an American.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm curious to know why should the values of Christian conservatives be more important than the values of non-Christians. And why should Christian conservatives or Christians in general be given preferential treatment guaranteeing that they won't have to violate their conscience (such as paying for birth control or refusing to serve homosexuals couples in their business) when non-Christians are apparently being denied the same rights, as you suggested? This country isn't a Christian nation or a Christian theocracy and Christians shouldn't be given special rights by the federal government simply because they are Christians. The federal government or the presidential administration shouldn't favor or endorse or pander to one religion over other religions. Unfortunately, I think that is happening with the current presidential administration pandering to evangelical right wing Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Foreign policy isn't personal property. If you owned a restaurant and didn't want to serve Presbyterians, that would be your right as an American.
Not under the Constitution.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should an employer be required to pay for contraception for anyone?
So his/her employees that are sexually exploiting others won’t be birthing no babies?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

What about if you owned a restaurant and didn't want to serve blacks?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why aren’t the values of religious conservatives important?
I do not think the OP is saying they are not, but rather that this is a secular society thank goodness and that they are not the only ones "on the block" as it were and that should be respected.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Foreign policy isn't personal property.
Employer supplied health insurance is personal property either, especially when the employer is a publicly owned corporation.

If you owned a restaurant and didn't want to serve Presbyterians, that would be your right as an American.
No, it would not be. American law prohibits discrimination on religious grounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I do not think the OP is saying they are not, but rather that this is a secular society thank goodness and that they are not the only ones "on the block" as it were and that should be respected.

Secular Society? I guess Muslims aren't Secular anymore.

Upvote 0