Judge rules California's decades-old assault weapon ban violates Second Amendment

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And I suppose the grass isn't green either. Or the clouds aren't really white. The apple in my fridge isn't red either. :sigh:

I didn't go into all the scientific analysis as to why the sky looks blue. But you didn't have to interpret what I said. You knew exactly what I meant. There was no agonizing over my language and digging into deep and hidden meanings to try and interpret what I said. It was clear as a bell. And you know what I mean by that too.

This is just their way to obfuscate so the issues aren't actually discussed. Bring up a thread talking about how a judge rules on a case about assault weapons, and the side who doesn't like that fact turns it into a totally different topic, and they'll keep that other topic going for as long as they can. Totally classic that they turn it into a topic about why we shouldn't be able to discuss things.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,057.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The brain does not "interpret" what it hears. Not in the sense you are talking about. If I said asphalt is black or the sky is blue, you don't have to "interpret" that. Our brain doesn't go, "what does that mean?" Maybe he means that the asphalt is actually purple. Or the sky is actually made up of water molecules and has atmospheric conditions that vary upon temperature.

What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes, but at the end of it the sky isn't blue, though you believe, literally, that it is.
And clouds? White? Well, I've suppose I must have seen some white clouds, but most of the apparent white is due to the contrast with what you think is a blue sky. If you notice, if you cannot see some apparently blue sky then the clouds don't generally, if ever, look white.
I don't have acces to your fridge, but my apples are green. Or more accurately and literally greenish.

May I wish you a colourful day and au revoir.

Are your apples green? Maybe not. I could interpret what you said and say they are not green.

The sky is literally blue to the human eye. Except when it grey or at sunset it might have orange and pink or purple or whatever. You know what I'm talking about. No need to interpret. You get what I am saying. You are just making a good effort to be difficult.

And that is the problem I am addressing. People who want to make the simple difficult for whatever reason. It's the ole, "I don't really want to agree with you, so I'm am going to come up with anything I can to make it, so I don't have to."

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father, but through me." But, people will claim Jesus didn't really mean what he said. Cause I "interpret" it to mean....

Back on topic. Done with this.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of printing presses intended for newspapers. And of course, those newspapers can't be distributed more than the twenty or so miles that a horse can travel in one day, correct?

The whole issue is so distorted it's absurd.

This is really good. The left today wants to make the Constitution or paint the constitution as an old piece of paper that only really applied to the times and doesn't have any application to today. Unless of course it agrees with what they want.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This is just their way to obfuscate so the issues aren't actually discussed. Bring up a thread talking about how a judge rules on a case about assault weapons, and the side who doesn't like that fact turns it into a totally different topic, and they'll keep that other topic going for as long as they can. Totally classic that they turn it into a topic about why we shouldn't be able to discuss things.
Actually, my apparent diversion speaks directly to the topic. Putting it bluntly, it is my opinion that @rjs330 has an ineffective approach to interpreting the written word (apparently denying that any interpretation need be involved). And if you think that interpretation of the written word has nothing to do with the Second Amendment then you must be living in a different world.

However, when I initiated this little side trip I probably hadn't even noticed what the thread topic was. I was reacting to a comment in rjs330's post. So you can relax and put your paranoia about devious tactics to bed and go ahead and talk your heads off on-topic. I'm gone. Please don't respond. I have very little will power and will feel compelled to reply.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The judge has issued a couple other surprising gun control rulings. They are being appealed, as is this one.

Predictably, this decision has been stayed.

In a brief order, a three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a stay of Judge Roger T. Benitez’s June 4 decision, in which he likened an AR-15 semiautomatic to a Swiss Army knife and called it “good for both home and battle.”

Benitez’s decision overturning the California ban gave the state 30 days to challenge the decision. The 9th Circuit, acting on a June 10 appeal filed by Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta, put Benitez’s ruling on hold pending decisions in other gun cases that are now before the court.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Predictably, this decision has been stayed.

In a brief order, a three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a stay of Judge Roger T. Benitez’s June 4 decision, in which he likened an AR-15 semiautomatic to a Swiss Army knife and called it “good for both home and battle.”

Benitez’s decision overturning the California ban gave the state 30 days to challenge the decision. The 9th Circuit, acting on a June 10 appeal filed by Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta, put Benitez’s ruling on hold pending decisions in other gun cases that are now before the court.

No surprise with the 9th circuit. The most liberal in the land and most overturned. It doesn't seem to slow them down though.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The most liberal in the land and most overturned.

But it is also the most affirmed! They just send a lot of cases.

Of course, if you mean by rate, then its overturn rate is high, but not the highest.

Upvote 0