Judge rules California's decades-old assault weapon ban violates Second Amendment

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Uh, maybe you do but I don't find it necessary. My lips don't move when I read......
Nope:......
speech

Definition of speech
1a : the communication or expression of thoughts in spoken words
b : exchange of spoken words : conversation
2a : something that is spoken : utterance
b : a usually public discourse : address
3a : language, dialect
b : an individual manner or style of speaking
4 : the power of expressing or communicating thoughts by speaking
Merriam-Webster

That is unless you read out loud to your self......
The third definition is "language" which obviously is the sense that Belk is using it in.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
When we read we always take the words for what they say. We generally take the words in a book literally first. When you read a text book you take the language within the book literally. When you read about cells, you take what the book says literally.

That's how the Bible should be read. Literally first taking into consideration typical forms of speech like idioms and such. You take it literal and if it di any make sense then you move on to other interpretive angles. Things like dreams and visions we obviously not literal.

But when Jesus says that no man comes to the father but through him, it's not an odd statement that must be interpreted. It's clear. Either he is or he isn't. It's like saying I am a teacher in highschool. There's no interpretation necessary.

Literal first then take a look at other things second if literal makes no sense.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I see. So what exactly do you think you convert the letters that symbolize phonetics into when you read?
Well, most of the words I read I already know (memorized) so I have no need to 'interpret' them. Do you need to figure them out individually every time you read them?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
For anybody that thinks interpretation must result in a sigular, objective meaning, may I present the duck-rabbit:

Rabbit–duck illusion - Wikipedia

A text like the Bible is even more ambiguous.

When we read we always take the words for what they say. We generally take the words in a book literally first. When you read a text book you take the language within the book literally. When you read about cells, you take what the book says literally.

The "literal" meaning you appeal to is the result of an interpretive tradition. I very much doubt aliens would read the Bible and take away from it a Christian understanding, for instance. And how could Mormons or Branch Davidians read the same Bible and come to very different conclusions?

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well, most of the words I read I already know (memorized) so I have no need to 'interpret' them. Do you need to figure them out individually every time you read them?
If you don't "interpret" the word you would not understood what it meant. That you already know the word does not mean you don't have to interpret it each time.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
For anybody that thinks interpretation must result in a sigular, objective meaning, may I present the duck-rabbit:

Rabbit–duck illusion - Wikipedia

A text like the Bible is even more ambiguous.

The "literal" meaning you appeal to is the result of an interpretive tradition. I very much doubt aliens would read the Bible and take away from it a Christian understanding, for instance. And how could Mormons or Branch Davidians read the same Bible and come to very different conclusions?

The Mormons have a different book they follow. Others either don't really read the Bible, but pick and choose what they want to believe. Others twist the scriptures to say something it doesn't say.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Mormons have a different book they follow. Others either don't really read the Bible, but pick and choose what they want to believe. Others twist the scriptures to say something it doesn't say.

Every church says that about every other church.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That you already know the word does not mean you don't have to interpret it each time.
Based on your personal experience or is there evidence to back up that claim?
Most professionals would consider this: 'interpret it each time' an indication of reading/comprehension disability.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Based on your personal experience or is there evidence to back up that claim?

There is a whole bunch of evidence that is good brains function.
Most professionals would consider this: 'interpret it each time' an indication of reading/comprehension disability.
You speak for "most professionals" now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
There is a whole bunch of evidence that is good brains function.

You speak for "most professionals" now?

Where is your evidence to all your claims? I went through school and had to read hundreds of text books on subjects and had to write papers and take tests. We were always taught just to read the material and reading comprehension was based on understanding what the writer wrote. Take it literally first is the the first point of reading comprehension. And understanding always starts there. You don't read books with the understanding of "the writer didn't really mean what they said, they actually meant something else and I have to interpret what the something else is."

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Where is your evidence to all your claims? I went through school and had to read hundreds of text books on subjects and had to write papers and take tests. We were always taught just to read the material and reading comprehension was based on understanding what the writer wrote. Take it literally first is the the first point of reading comprehension. And understanding always starts there. You don't read books with the understanding of "the writer didn't really mean what they said, they actually meant something else and I have to interpret what the something else is."

Uh huh. So answer me a question please. How does your brain understand language? Does it have to interpret what it hears?

How the Brain Processes Language

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We were always taught just to read the material and reading comprehension was based on understanding what the writer wrote. Take it literally first is the the first point of reading comprehension.
Given the immense richness of English with metaphors and a dozen other figures of speech that sounds like rather unwise advice. Either you went to a school with flawed English teaching, or you didn't properly comprehend what they said. (Though in this instance you may take what I said literally.)

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Uh huh. So answer me a question please. How does your brain understand language? Does it have to interpret what it hears?

How the Brain Processes Language

The brain does not "interpret" what it hears. Not in the sense you are talking about. If I said asphalt is black or the sky is blue, you don't have to "interpret" that. Our brain doesn't go, "what does that mean?" Maybe he means that the asphalt is actually purple. Or the sky is actually made up of water molecules and has atmospheric conditions that vary upon temperature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Given the immense richness of English with metaphors and a dozen other figures of speech that sounds like rather unwise advice. Either you went to a school with flawed English teaching, or you didn't properly comprehend what they said. (Though in this instance you may take what I said literally.)

I guess I felt I didn't have to break that down cause it was a common understanding. Maybe I was wrong. I thought about bringing that up, but I figured people would know that. You take things literally first then look at other things if it doesn't make sense. Like "the sky is falling" or "the sky is blue today". You know the sky isn't literally falling so you look at what they are referring to because literal doesn't make any sense. But you take "the sky is blue today" literally because it makes sense.

I sure hoped people would understand all that. But I guess not.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I felt I didn't have to break that down cause it was a common understanding. Maybe I was wrong. I thought about bringing that up, but I figured people would know that. You take things literally first then look at other things if it doesn't make sense. Like "the sky is falling" or "the sky is blue today". You know the sky isn't literally falling so you look at what they are referring to because literal doesn't make any sense. But you take "the sky is blue today" literally because it makes sense.

I sure hoped people would understand all that. But I guess not.
Fair enough, but keep in mind the sky is not literally blue.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Remember the time when this thread was about "assault weapons" and the Second Amendment??

Yup, and it's turned into something else. Like if I say the sky is blue today, that doesn't really mean the sky is blue today. It could mean anything. Depending on what the hearer interprets what I say cause heaven forbid we can't take anything literally. I have no idea how we even talk to each other cause we obviously have no clue what the other person is really saying.

This is really getting dumb. (I wonder how that will get interpreted.)

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Fair enough, but keep in mind the sky is not literally blue.

And I suppose the grass isn't green either. Or the clouds aren't really white. The apple in my fridge isn't red either. :sigh:

I didn't go into all the scientific analysis as to why the sky looks blue. But you didn't have to interpret what I said. You knew exactly what I meant. There was no agonizing over my language and digging into deep and hidden meanings to try and interpret what I said. It was clear as a bell. And you know what I mean by that too.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And I suppose the grass isn't green either. Or the clouds aren't really white. The apple in my fridge isn't red either. :sigh:

I didn't go into all the scientific analysis as to why the sky looks blue. But you didn't have to interpret what I said. You knew exactly what I meant. There was no agonizing over my language and digging into deep and hidden meanings to try and interpret what I said. It was clear as a bell. And you know what I mean by that too.
Yes, but at the end of it the sky isn't blue, though you believe, literally, that it is.
And clouds? White? Well, I've suppose I must have seen some white clouds, but most of the apparent white is due to the contrast with what you think is a blue sky. If you notice, if you cannot see some apparently blue sky then the clouds don't generally, if ever, look white.
I don't have acces to your fridge, but my apples are green. Or more accurately and literally greenish.

May I wish you a colourful day and au revoir.

Upvote 0