Los Angeles Area
✟829,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A former Texas judge from Houston announced this week in a Facebook post that she is leaving the Republican Party, citing her disdain for President Donald Trump and what she called his racist ideology.

Elsa Alcala, a former Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge who was appointed by Gov. Rick Perry in 2011, opted not to run for reelection at the end of 2018.

“It has taken me years to say this publicly but here I go. President Trump is the worst president in the history of this country,” Alcala wrote Monday. “Even accepting that Trump has had some successes (and I believe these are few), at his core, his ideology is racism. To me, nothing positive about him could absolve him of his rotten core.”

“Don’t tell me to go back where I came from,” Alcala said. “My relatives have been in this Texas area since before it was the USA and I was born in the USA … I spent 29 years in government service to help the people of our country and I love our country and its people.”

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Speaking of Texas...

Texas has grown at such a rapid pace that those careful calculations [gerrymandering 'safe' Republican districts] have been thrown out of whack. Where the average congressional district in the United States has grown by 23,200 people since the last Census, the average Texas district has grown by 74,000 people — and the average competitive Texas district, mostly centered around Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas, has grown by an incredible 96,500 residents.

Texas Republicans publicly celebrate so many new residents, who come from states like California and New York in search of plentiful jobs and lower taxes. Privately, those Republicans bemoan the fact that the new residents still vote like they live in California or New York.

“Republicans probably didn’t anticipate this happening in the suburbs. They may have known about the demographic shifts,” Gersh said. “Suburban voters in a place like Texas, who were at one time more supportive of Republicans, have deserted Trump.”

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Judge Alcala is a retired judge, not a sitting judge. She reportedly had already chosen not to run for re-election because, to do so, she would have to announce as a member of the Republican Party. And she says she has been at odds with the Republican Party over a number of issues. This is not just about her dislike for President Trump.

So now she says that she will vote Democrat. Having gotten a judgeship appointment out of the Republicans, lets see what she gets out of the Democrats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Having gotten a judgeship appointment out of the Republicans, lets see what she gets out of the Democrats.
At the very least, she got a conscience. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,915.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“Don’t tell me to go back where I came from,” Alcala said.
This poor Republican judge is very confused. The tweet was clearly addressed to "Progressive Democrat Congresswomen".

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It is good to see that President Trump can clean up the Republican Party and get rid of the RINO’s and other non-hackers just by being the greatest elected President of all time!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Judge Alcala is a retired judge, not a sitting judge. She reportedly had already chosen not to run for re-election because, to do so, she would have to announce as a member of the Republican Party. And she says she has been at odds with the Republican Party over a number of issues. This is not just about her dislike for President Trump.

So now she says that she will vote Democrat. Having gotten a judgeship appointment out of the Republicans, lets see what she gets out of the Democrats.

“Sitting judges” aren’t ethically free to speak as Judge Alcala did, which is why she waited to do so.

Your cynicism over her actions reeks of sour grapes.

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is good to see that President Trump can clean up the Republican Party and get rid of the RINO’s and other non-hackers just by being the greatest elected President of all time!
Donald of the House Trump, the Third of His Name, King of Huge Rallies of the Light Men and Women, Ruler of the Skies, Lord of the Red States, Protector of the Southern Border and the National Anthem. He is rightful Heir to the Golden Throne of the Western World. :liturgy:
eUnS2r2.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums