Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One critical mistake a lot of well meaning Christians make, is that they are unable to separate individual people from evil principalities. We are to do battle with principalities, not with individual souls. Big difference that needs to be made clear. :)

Reactions: Plan 9
Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
cbk said:
Understood.... To us hillybillies, hangin' out means catin' around, drinkin', etc, and it could mean chillin' in a saintly way..... It doesn't offend me, so please do not edit the post...

Chess.... 1. Pawn to Q4

I'm a Christian and I drink a little, but I do not get drunk -- oh, damnation.

Spock is 100 times the character than zero of nine, by the way.

Yes, my apologies. I was slow to see that we were miscommunicating, due to regional speech differences.

Which one of thim thar hills is ya frum, Good Buddy?

Spock is indeed a marvel! Seven was not intended to carry on his role, though, so I don't see them as being in competition. ;)
As a matter of fact, I would love to see them both together in a film. (PG-13, Sweetkitty).
Lt. Tuvok is the Vulcan on Voyager and both Tim Russ and the writers have had a dificult example to live up to in Mr. Spock. :)

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TheBear said:
One critical mistake a lot of well meaning Christians make, is that they are unable to separate individual people from evil principalities. We are to do battle with principalities, not with individual souls. Big difference that needs to be made clear. :)

Could you go into that with a little more explanation?

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
sweetkitty said:
Could you go into that with a little more explanation?

I'll answer it by a statement and two questions. :)

Principalities, evil, darkness, prince of the world....all refer to Satan and his demons. Individual souls are not demons, and are why Christ died on the cross.

1) Are we to do battle with the individuals who are not saved, or are we to spread the good news of salvation to individuals who are not saved?

2) Are we to do battle with evil principalities, or are we to spread the good news of salvation to evil principalities?

Upvote 0
Plan 9 said:
Yes, my apologies. I was slow to see that we were miscommunicating, due to regional speech differences.

Which one of thim thar hills is ya frum, Good Buddy?

Spock is indeed a marvel! Seven was not intended to carry on his role, though, so I don't see them as being in competition. ;)
As a matter of fact, I would love to see them both together in a film. (PG-13, Sweetkitty).
Lt. Tuvok is the Vulcan on Voyager and both Tim Russ and the writers have had a dificult example to live up to in Mr. Spock. :)

Originally, Eastern K-tuck.... But now I sell pertin near the Fort Campbell Kentucky Army Base.

I know seven is not the replacement for spock --- i am fan of star trek as well. Reading Star Trek "Timetrap" at this moment -- 1988, first edition. Gooooooooooo Federation.

Tuvok is OK. I can't remember, is he 100% Vulcan. Spock had that human element to him that we all love.

I just used Spock because 'aint nobody to compete against that character... Top 5.

1. Spock
2. Q
3. Kirk
4. Data
5. Warf
6. Picard
7. All the other Klingons
8. Seven of Nine
9. The hologram doctor --- What's his name??
10. Scotty, when he has been drinking.

This post fits the thread because I am judging. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TheBear said:
I'll answer it by a statement and two questions. :)

Principalities, evil, darkness, prince of the world....all refer to Satan and his demons. Individual souls are not demons, and are why Christ died on the cross.

1) Are we to do battle with the individuals who are not saved, or are we to spread the good news of salvation to individuals who are not saved?

2) Are we to do battle with evil principalities, or are we to spread the good news of salvation to evil principalities?

Ok I'm going to sound pretty stupid here but what is a principality exactly?
And why can't a person be demonic?
Yes, you are right that we are not to do battle with individual souls.
And we are suppose to spread the good news. But aren't we also suppose to state and stand by what we believe to be right or wrong?
Not people..but things..such as abortion,murder...evil things.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not what you say, it's how you say something, that makes all the difference in the world. :)

One could patiently and gently lead someone to understand something, or they could bash the person over their head with what they believe. Which approach do you think is best?

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TheBear said:
It's not what you say, it's how you say something, that makes all the difference in the world. :)

One could patiently and gently lead someone to understand something, or they could bash the person over their head with what they believe. Which approach do you think is best?

Ok..so tell me how to improve my technique. I'm certainly willing to learn.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
cbk said:
Originally, Eastern K-tuck.... But now I sell pertin near the Fort Campbell Kentucky Army Base.

I know seven is not the replacement for spock --- i am fan of star trek as well. Reading Star Trek "Timetrap" at this moment -- 1988, first edition. Gooooooooooo Federation.

Tuvok is OK. I can't remember, is he 100% Vulcan. Spock had that human element to him that we all love.

I just used Spock because 'aint nobody to compete against that character... Top 5.

1. Spock
2. Q
3. Kirk
4. Data
5. Warf
6. Picard
7. All the other Klingons
8. Seven of Nine
9. The hologram doctor --- What's his name??
10. Scotty, when he has been drinking.

This post fits the thread because I am judging. :wave:

Ah live raht near tha Ozarks, so we has got sumpthin' in commem. Kentucky is a raht purty place, too.

How about you start a Star Trek thread????!!! Wouldya?? Puleese?? *wags tail hopefully*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Plan 9 said:
Ah live raht near tha Ozarks, so we has got sumpthin' in commem. Kentucky is a raht purty place, too.

How about you start a Star Trek thread????!!! Wouldya?? Puleese?? *wags tail hopefully*

It is done. Friendship court. But data indicates that many spin-offs are extremely likely.

Feel free to beam over at your convenience. We are lowering shields on my mark..... Mark!

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
cbk said:
It is done. Friendship court. But data indicates that many spin-offs are extremely likely.

Feel free to beam over at your convenience. We are lowering shields on my mark..... Mark!

On my way. Plan 9 out.

Upvote 0
TheBear said:
Just realize that the target of 'battle' is not the individuals who post here.

:)

You know, I wonder sometimes if people get caught up in the language of the more fervent Christian ministries - words like "battle", "Warriors for Christ", "wage war with the devil", and all that kind of thing. To some, fuelled by the passion of their belief, they feel the need to quite literally wage war with everything and everyone, and find so much sin in so many things?

By kitty's definition, I am an evil person because I am a non-believer. I am someone that she may feel that she must be vigilant about protecting herself from, and must battle the devil from me, "rebuking me in the Jesus Christ", etc. The problem, of course, is that I have a whole different world view to her and for her to beat me over the head with sin and fear and guilt and Bible as Law, etc, is really not going to endear me to either her or her message. (Please realise that I'm using "kitty" and "I" because it's convenient for me to illustrate the bigger picture here, ok)

So, anyway, because we get into this locked swords and shields thing, we end up with our minds snapped shut and a developing animosity for what each of us stands for, as we view each other as opponents. I wind up demonising Christians because of my experiences with kitty and her message; she winds up demonising all secular humanists because of her experiences with me. Noone learns anything - not me, not her - and noone gets anywhere. Shame. Because the key in life is communication - effective communication - and a willingness to compromise and occassionally concede. Hmmm...okay, I'm rambling on a bit - I guess I should wind up by employing this little adage which I think is appropriate - "you catch more bees with honey, than you do with vinegar". I hope I made sense. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
lunachick said:
You know, I wonder sometimes if people get caught up in the language of the more fervent Christian ministries - words like "battle", "Warriors for Christ", "wage war with the devil", and all that kind of thing. To some, fuelled by the passion of their belief, they feel the need to quite literally wage war with everything and everyone, and find so much sin in so many things?

By kitty's definition, I am an evil person because I am a non-believer. I am someone that she may feel that she must be vigilant about protecting herself from, and must battle the devil from me, "rebuking me in the Jesus Christ", etc. The problem, of course, is that I have a whole different world view to her and for her to beat me over the head with sin and fear and guilt and Bible as Law, etc, is really not going to endear me to either her or her message. (Please realise that I'm using "kitty" and "I" because it's convenient for me to illustrate the bigger picture here, ok)

So, anyway, because we get into this locked swords and shields thing, we end up with our minds snapped shut and a developing animosity for what each of us stands for, as we view each other as opponents. I wind up demonising Christians because of my experiences with kitty and her message; she winds up demonising all secular humanists because of her experiences with me. Noone learns anything - not me, not her - and noone gets anywhere. Shame. Because the key in life is communication - effective communication - and a willingness to compromise and occassionally concede. Hmmm...okay, I'm rambling on a bit - I guess I should wind up by employing this little adage which I think is appropriate - "you catch more bees with honey, than you do with vinegar". I hope I made sense. :scratch:

Yes, language, especially metaphorical language, is a powerful force. It should be used carefully and with thought; it affects us in ways we may not be aware of.

Upvote 0