Judge Emmet Sullivan Will Oversee Voting Rights Act Case Accusing Trump of Anti-Black Campaign to Ov

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
full headline:
Judge Emmet Sullivan Will Oversee Voting Rights Act Case Accusing Trump of Anti-Black Campaign to Overturn Election
Judge Emmet Sullivan Will Oversee Voting Rights Act Case Accusing Trump of Anti-Black Campaign to Overturn Election
President Donald Trump and his failed re-election campaign have engaged in an unlawful strategy aimed at overturning the results of the 2020 election in violation of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, according to a lawsuit recently filed in federal court.
tulc(will be watching this story)

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This lawsuit is irrelevant and not just because the matter is largely moot. The Supreme Court is not going to go along with a suit the precedence of which would ban campaigns from challenging voting procedures and counts in majority minority precincts. Such a precedence would open the door to vast voter fraud that could essentially never be challenged.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This lawsuit is irrelevant and not just because the matter is largely moot. The Supreme Court is not going to go along with a suit the precedence of which would ban campaigns from challenging voting procedures and counts in majority minority precincts. Such a precedence would open the door to vast voter fraud that could essentially never be challenged.
The claim wouldn’t be that you can’t challenge results, but that Trumps people were using obviously bogus cases with an ulterior motive. Courts do recognize that suits can be used as harassment. Take a look at SLAPP suits. But it’s controversial, and there’s a very high bar. I agree with the accusation, but I doubt there’s a real legal case here. As I read the Wikipedia article the goal of anti SLAPP legislation is to stop frivolous suits. But they have already been stopped, so I don’t quite see what the goal,would be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The claim wouldn’t be that you can’t challenge results, but that Trumps people were using obviously bogus cases with an ulterior motive. Courts do recognize that suits can be used as harassment. Take a look at SLAPP suits. But it’s controversial, and there’s a very high bar. I agree with the accusation, but I doubt there’s a real legal case here. As I read the Wikipedia article the goal of anti SLAPP legislation is to stop frivolous suits. But they have already been stopped, so I don’t quite see what the goal,would be.
Trump's lawsuits aren't necessarily frivolous, even if they aren't successful. There are legitimate questions about vote counting and fraud. A good example is the Iowa Congressional race that last I saw may be down to single digits complete with inconsistent counting methods, magically discovered votes and a lawsuit certain to be filed by the loser. In New York State one of their Congressional races is already in suit, with a judge deciding which spoiled ballots will and won't be counted. Only problem is that it isn't clear if those ballots have already been counted and so it isn't clear if the judge's ruling will add or subtract votes. The difference in that race is a couple hundred votes.

There needs to be a discussion about voting and counting votes. Trump's lawsuits may spur that discussion, which is a good thing in the long run.

Upvote 0