✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From B'reshit 46:4

I was reading this and wondered what that meant, it's never stood out to me before so I went to look up Rashi's commentary and there was nothing.

Does anyone have an idea what the L-RD meant by this?

I looked over at Chabad (did you know they have it listed now as
The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary?

It used to be called the Complete Jewish Bible (they still have that as a header but the link and title page has the above. )

After looking at a few other versions the meaning became clear

"And Joseph's own hand will close your eyes'

Meaning that his son, long thought to be dead would be alive and with him when he, Jacob died.

This became a witness to all his other sons had told him about their last trip into Egypt.

It is interesting to note that the L-RD said this also.

“Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there."

The birth of Israel in fact happened in Egypt, not in Canaan, not in the Sinai, or wandering in the desert, but in Egypt.

“So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt."

This part of the verse above got me to thinking.

Joseph was 17 years old when he was sold into slavery
Joseph was 30 years old when he was taken from prison and elevated to vizier
Joseph was 39 years old when his brothers first came seeking bread
Joseph was about 41 when then all came down (including Jacob)
Joseph was 110 years old when he died.

Joseph would have been married to the daughter of the Priest of On around his 30th year.

Before the years of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. 51 Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, “It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father’s household.” 52 The second son he named Ephraim and said, “It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.”

Before Joseph was 37 he was the father of two boys.

Some translations say 'advisor' or similar but the word in Hebrew is Alef Bet, AV or AB, meaning Father.

What are the implications of that?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What are the implications of that?
Shabbat Shalom in Yeshua HaMashiach !
Do you mean what does Yahweh say about that,
or what do men say about that ?
(and maybe just exactly what ? Simply about Joseph being the father of 2 boys? or more in the post ?)

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Re the initial OP question - The Rashi chumah (R. Silverstein) reads: I shall go down with you to Egypt, and I shall also bring you up [to Eretz Y'israel for burial] and Joseph shall place his hand on your eyes.

This is clearly a part of a burial and Joseph will close his eyes (as still happens today to the eyes of the dead).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was reading this and wondered what that meant, it's never stood out to me before so I went to look up Rashi's commentary and there was nothing.

Does anyone have an idea what the L-RD meant by this?

I looked over at Chabad (did you know they have it listed now as
The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary?

I didn't write the Tanach :) The OP said Rashi says nothing. I have shown that Rashi does say something about the verse in question.

I specifically said that Chabad did not show anything from Rashi, I didn't lie.

upload_2017-12-2_13-2-33.png

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I specifically said that Chabad did not show anything from Rashi, I didn't lie.

View attachment 215226

I wasn't calling you a liar - I was simply posting what Rashi said, as quoted by a Rabbi, without comment, until I was challenged by another poster. I then explained why I had posted the Rashi comments. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shabbat Shalom in Yeshua HaMashiach !
Do you mean what does Yahweh say about that,
or what do men say about that ?
(and maybe just exactly what ? Simply about Joseph being the father of 2 boys? or more in the post ?)

I was just reading ahead of the parsha and it just struck me about that Jacob was told that his son whom he thought long dead would be there with him when he died. Then I read about the being a father to Pharaoh and my thoughts started to move in that direction.

There's the whole thing at the beginning of Exodus where we read that there came a time when Joseph was no longer respected for the job he did saving all Egypt as well as the surrounding countries.

8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.

There are a few ways you can become a father to someone.

First hand by siring
Secondly by adoption
Thirdly by marriage. (father in law)

We have no mention specifically of Joseph having any female children but if he did one could have become Pharoah's wife, even at a young age. These kinds of covenants were made in the middle east back then, we see it later on with King Solomon of course.

So I just got to wondering what him being called the father of Pharoah would mean?

Or Father of the King

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In the Bible, any male teaching another male Torah, becomes that persons spiritual father. That is where the use of that name comes from as far as the RCC is concerned for their ministers (Priests they call themselves, but use the title of Father as well). Did Joseph teach Pharaoh Torah?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So I just got to wondering what him being called the father of Pharoah would mean?
Shabbat Shalom in Yeshua to all abiding in Him.
I've read more than I can remember as far as "father" in the Bible, and never once thought it referred to Joseph having children in Egypt related to his being called father. I wouldn't be surprised if "father" is not the best translation either, but I don't worry about that, as the understanding from Yahweh does not rely on man's word, but on Yahweh's.
There are for instance some teachers totally unrelated to me (as far as I know) except in Yahweh's Plan, whose teachings were used by Him to guide me ,
and upon reflection they have been a kind of father to me. Also some others who Yahweh set in my life to provide at various times according to His Plan, who might be called or thought of as , for a time, a father (or father figure), but none of course ever replacing Yahweh ABBA nor Yeshua in any way, and never contradicting Yeshua's Word not to call any man father or rabbi. (I think context shows simply not to make any other man 'head', as only Christ is head of man, as Yahweh is head of Christ).
So "father" has usually not meant to me those 3: siring(physically), adoption(physically or legally) or by marriage in-law. Or at least never been restricted to those.
It is awkward not having seen a clear distinction in english words what Yeshua meant "call no man father or rabbi", although it is clear in spirit, as we never want to disobey His Instruction, but in english, as in mankind and society, so much is muddled.

Joseph saved Egypt, or Yahweh did, as Esther saved her people, again Yahweh did, and Moses saved Yahweh's people (was Moses called father of Israel?) ,
and best of all for eternity, Yahweh's Plan,
Abraham is our father, the father of all the faithful, the father of faith.
It is just remember that I considered Abraham my father much and longer and still, as Yahweh's Word Says, than more than any other man,
and not in conflict with Yahweh ABBA
Who is Sovereign Giver of Life, our Father by His Will (being born again), not by our will,
and not in conflict but in perfect harmony with His Will as Written.

Never tried to put all this in words before,
but it is all good,
Let all thanks and praise be to our Father in heaven forever !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As I said above the translation should be father, it is AV which is Hebrew for Father.

I'm still contemplating the inference of one of his daughters possibly becoming queen.

He was given a royal burial and his tomb was well known in Egypt that is why it was easy when Passover came to take him out with them in the Exodus.

His wife was Egyptian so her children would be half Egyptian and could be considered 'royalty' or of very high class with her father being a priest there too.

Upvote 0