LDS Joseph Smith on getting to Heaven thru suicide...

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I also remember that quote and think it was to make people believe that the kingdoms of glory are substantially better than earth life. I personally believe that any place outside of God's presence would definitely be hell.

Well the Holy Spirit is definitely a heavenly experience for me so I would have to agree :)

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was in the LDS church some years ago before I converted to Christianity and was taught a few times that Joseph Smith said the following, which I will quote from an LDS site:

"And on Friday last while speaking at the Funeral of Matilda Moody he said we should improve the present time and do all we could for our dead ere death called us away. He [referred] to a saying of Joseph Smith, which he heard him utter (like this) That if the People knew what was behind the vail, they would try by every means to commit suicide that they might get there, but the Lord in his wisdom had implanted the fear of death in every person that they might cling to life and thus accomplish the designs of their creator" (A. Karl Larson, Katherine Miles Larson, "Diary of Charles Lowell Walker," Utah State University Digital Commons)."

Now you'll notice that Joseph Smith didn't in fact commit suicide. It's therefore suggested that he feared death. Which is interesting because I don't believe a true prophet of God fears death, knowing they are secure in the Holy Spirit.

So what does that mean, was he told that revelation by some spirit? And if so which spirit would suggest such a thing? Was Joseph Smith suggesting that suicide can lead to heaven, or the spirit that suggested that saying? Is that an evil suggestion in your mind?
There are many atheist who do not fear death, as well as many very holy people who do. It has nothing to do with faith. Though hopefully one's faith will bring meaning to our deaths, and not just an ending.

Peace
Mark

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0