Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In the name of protecting religious freedom, U.S. President Donald Trump again vowed to repeal the Johnson Amendment. Speaking at his first National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday February 2, Trump said that religious freedom is “under threat.”

The Johnson amendment is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Service code that prevents pastors, religious leaders and non-profits from campaigning for or against any political candidate, among other things.

“I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution,” Trump said at a high-profile event that draws faith leaders, politicians and dignitaries together once each year.

Though Trump made a similar pledge during his presidential campaign, he did not detail how he plans to scrap the rule or how quickly he will do so.

Religious conservatives overwhelming supported Trump’s bid for the White House. They are watching him closely because they want protections for religious objectors to gay marriage and abortion among other things. Trump had been the most outspoken presidential candidate on conservative religious issues.

Evangelical leaders want more power. It is inherent in their agenda to make America follow more conservative religious ideals. This may include Sunday observance. And the liberals, like the LGBTQ community, are running scared. They fear progress in their “equality” campaign to force Christians to accept their lifestyle even in their public business dealings, is about to be curtailed.

“We think it is entirely possible there could be an executive order that creates religious exemptions,” said James Esseks, LGBT project director for the American Civil Liberties Union. “The ‘narrative’ that Trump won’t harm the LGBTQ community was ‘not correct.’”

By putting Christians in power, the LGBT community will certainly feel they will have been harmed. But so far Trump left intact an Obama executive order that protects workers for federal contractors from anti-LGBTQ discrimination.

Gay rights supporters think Trump “could sign an executive order that would allow religious organizations that receive federal money — like charities or hospitals — to make hiring and other decisions based on religion. They also said he could offer a more wide-ranging order.”

In a letter to Roman Catholics during the campaign, Trump wrote, “I will defend your religious liberties and the right to fully and freely practice your religion, as individuals, business owners and academic institutions.”

Trump’s Supreme Court pick this week was also considered a positive sign to conservative Christians. Neil Gorsuch of the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, “sided with Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor when they mounted religious objections to the Obama administration’s requirement that employers provide health insurance that includes contraceptives.”

While many of Donald Trumps decisions and actions will be good for America, the implications of giving the churches more power will dramatically affect the way they relate to government. Will they cement their power over the state? Will they bring America back to the balance of liberty, or will they go to an equal and opposite reaction and trample on the rights of minority faiths? Perhaps not during Trump’s time in office, but the Bible predicts that Protestants in the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to clasp hands with spiritualism and Romanism and trample on rights of conscience.

“The Protestants of the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to grasp the hand of spiritualism; they will reach over the abyss to clasp hands with the Roman power; and under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome in trampling on the rights of conscience.” The Great Controversy, page 588.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like the amendment is unenforceable anyway, under both freedom of religion and freedom of speech. The only string they have to pull is the 501c3, which is unnecessary for the churches. They are tax exempt without volunteering to have that collar put on them.

No church should organize under a 501c3, especially a large, already recognized denomination.
501c3: Myths about 501c3 tax-exempt status for the church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Funny argument--if the state ceases to control the church, doing that amounts to "church controlling the state." Say what?

But the main point in this particular controversy, which is often missed, is that the liberal churches routinely and openly work for particular partisan candidates for public office while the conservative ones--which usually are much less interested in doing that, anyway--are often threatened by government officials for doing anything like what the liberals do all the time.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But the main point in this particular controversy, which is often missed, is that the liberal churches routinely and openly work for particular partisan candidates for public office while the conservative ones--which usually are much less interested in doing that, anyway--are often threatened by government officials for doing anything like what the liberals do all the time.

absolute nonsense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
absolute nonsense.
You might say that this problem isn't exactly as I worded it. Or you might contend that the problem isn't as widespread or important as many pastors say it is. But to dismiss it altogether with an "absolute nonsense" suggests that you may not have paid as much attention to the facts of the matter as other people have.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then churches should be paying taxes.
There actually is no connection between the two policies. And, as I think someone already mentioned, the Johnson amendment is not particularly old whereas the national policy about exempting churches from property taxes is.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Heaven knows there's way too much Gospel and no where near enough politics in America's churches.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Heaven knows there's way too much Gospel and no where near enough politics in America's churches.

Actually, there is too much politics in government and not nearly enough gospel. That's how we ended up with the number of abortions approaching the number of live births in this country.

In 2013, 664,435 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2013 was 12.5 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 200 abortions per 1,000 live births.
Data and Statistics | Reproductive Health | CDC

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All this is really about is for churches to become untaxed money mills for the candidates of their choice. Pathetic.
I don't think that's so, but in any case, the situation is that some churches do it now--a lot--while others are threatened by the government if they do the same. That can't be considered fair or reasonable.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While many of Donald Trumps decisions and actions will be good for America, the implications of giving the churches more power will dramatically affect the way they relate to government. Will they cement their power over the state? Will they bring America back to the balance of liberty, or will they go to an equal and opposite reaction and trample on the rights of minority faiths?
Yes, I must admit to having "two minds "on this issue. This part I like:
In a letter to Roman Catholics during the campaign, Trump wrote, “I will defend your religious liberties and the right to fully and freely practice your religion, as individuals, business owners and academic institutions.”
Hopefully that will mean the end of mean spirited prosecutions of Christian business owners by the 'gay' community. It should also allow schools that receive government money (such as vouchers & tax exemptions) to employ only those teachers who are compatible with the school ethos.

However, could politicization of the Churches, as you have suggested, lead to trampling on the rights of minority faiths? I doubt that could happen unless we are confronted with vastly different social circumstances - eg, complete economic collapse; a nuclear attack; a massive Californian earthquake or supervolcano - leading to a breakdown in social order.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I must admit to having "two minds "on this issue. This part I like:
Hopefully that will mean the end of mean spirited prosecutions of Christian business owners by the 'gay' community. It should also allow schools that receive government money (such as vouchers & tax exemptions) to employ only those teachers who are compatible with the school ethos.
Still trying to push the myth of persecution? Sad.

• Winner
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, there is too much politics in government and not nearly enough gospel. That's how we ended up with the number of abortions approaching the number of live births in this country.
There should be no Gospel in a secular government. Not that the Gospels mention abortion either for or against.
In 2013, 664,435 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2013 was 12.5 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 200 abortions per 1,000 live births.
Data and Statistics | Reproductive Health | CDC
200:1000 is "approaching"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, could politicization of the Churches, as you have suggested, lead to trampling on the rights of minority faiths? I doubt that could happen unless we are confronted with vastly different social circumstances - eg, complete economic collapse; a nuclear attack; a massive Californian earthquake or supervolcano - leading to a breakdown in social order.
FWIW, that's my "take" on this also. The issue is whether or not all the churches should be allowed to do what some are now doing--endorsing partisan candidates.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

My experience has been just the opposite. The only time I got a voter guide was in a conservative Continuing Anglican church. Mainline churches I have gone to rarely discussed politics in the sort of absolutist ways that conservative Christians do. Presiding bishop of the ELCA, Elizabeth Eaton, gave an address after the recent presidential election that was non-political.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My experience has been just the opposite. The only time I got a voter guide was in a conservative Continuing Anglican church. Mainline churches I have gone to rarely discussed politics in the sort of absolutist ways that conservative Christians do. Presiding bishop of the ELCA, Elizabeth Eaton, gave an address after the recent presidential election that was non-political.
I have no personal knowledge of any such voter's guides, but I've never seen one in any of the various continuing churches of my past. And I'd have to wonder what, exactly, was on the guide. For instance, calling on congregants to vote against abortion referenda or other such issues but not actually endorsing a partisan candidate would be outside the scope of this issue, I think.

Incidentally, one of the first ELCA churches I attended featured a sermon extolling the virtues of some political demonstrator that the speaker repeatedly referred to as a "saint." But while that's political, it wasn't, strictly speaking, partisan nor was the person a candidate for elective office, and that's what I understand by the Johnson amendment. There are, to be sure, some churches in which the candidate is invited to give a campaign speech in lieu of the Sunday sermon, followed of course by enthusiastic "attaboy" remarks offered by the pastor.

Upvote 0