UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes l agree that the period between conversion and ES is one where we discover just how wretched we are, in that the God who has reached out to us and died for us, receives nothing back but unfaithfulness. This is needed to take us down into the dust so that full salvation can at last take place.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Based on all of your comments in this thread and the way you misread scripture to try to convince yourself that you are faultless (again, ever heard of the sin of pride?), ...
Pride in submitting to Another?
That is almost funny...

it would seem that you haven't even begun to understand the concept of holiness to be able to make such an accusation of others.
Through Christ, one may only be free of the dominion of sin, which is not at all the same as being sinless or never sinning again.
Do you understand what "freedom" means?

If you refuse to even acknowledge and confess your sins and regularly, then you remain immature in your faith and your sanctification is stunted. It is a denial of the need for God's grace in your life.
If one has been freed from the dominion off sin, why would they sin again?
Because they still walk in the flesh instead of in the Spirit. (Rm 8:1-16)
Thankfully, God has made a way to kill the flesh and be raised with Christ to walk in newness of life. (Rom 6:3-6)

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, this means that Holiness does mean and teach absolute sinlessness and spiritual perfection in this life. As understood by the Wesleyan Holiness churches.
I'm not sure how "they" define holiness, but it is the way I define it.
Liars, thieves, and adulterers are not "holy".

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how "they" define holiness, but it is the way I define it.
Liars, thieves, and adulterers are not "holy".
Do you believe that Christians can still fall into sin after trusting Christ? As in, stumble over an answer, and lie, trying to save face? Knowing that the lie was wrong, and feeling bad about it afterwards. Would that be something that you believe a Christian could do?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might be interested in this article which better helps to define a Wesleyan view of Christian Perfection or Entire Sanctification. As Wesley never taught that we could be absolutely free of all sin in this life, I doubt any Wesleyan-based church would teach it as standard doctrine.

John Wesley's Christian Perfection: Myths, Realities, and Critique
Keep in mind that this site's writings were by NON-Wesleyans.
They don't agree with what I have read in "Wesley Plain Account Of Christian Perfection".

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note that John Wesley made no claims of entire sanctification for himself. Be very wary of those who do.
Even with these "mistakes," Wesley still stated that they were in need of atonement even as he was reluctant to call them sins per se, but what else besides sins would be in need of atonement?
When it comes to entire sanctification, I think it needs to be clear that we are really speaking primarily of voluntary sins when it comes to being in a state of "not sinning". We are still sinners while residing in our corruptible flesh, and the moment we think of ourselves as otherwise, we have fallen prey to sin.
And it's definitely not a state of someone saying the sinner's prayer, getting baptized, and are therefore magically incapable of sinning ever again.
God made a way to get rid of the "corruptible flesh".
It is written..."Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Rom 6:3-7)
Thanks be to God for enabling us to walk in the Spirit instead of in the flesh !

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe that Christians can still fall into sin after trusting Christ? As in, stumble over an answer, and lie, trying to save face? Knowing that the lie was wrong, and feeling bad about it afterwards. Would that be something that you believe a Christian could do?
People can leave the faith.
It is written of on several occasions.
But keep in mind that those reborn of God's seed cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil.
Really reborn men don't tell lies.
If a sinner will turn from sin, permanently, they can START a life as a Christian.
Their prior life was a lie.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People can leave the faith.
It is written of on several occasions.
But keep in mind that those reborn of God's seed cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil.
Really reborn men don't tell lies.
If a sinner will turn from sin, permanently, they can START a life as a Christian.
Their prior life was a lie.
This is something I actually would disagree with other Wesleyans with on here on this forum. I actually do not believe that a true Christian would ever choose to commit Apostasy and leave the Faith. Doing so to me would prove that they truly were not a Christian to begin with.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Keep in mind that this site's writings were by NON-Wesleyans.
They don't agree with what I have read in "Wesley Plain Account Of Christian Perfection".

Apparently, neither do you.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Per John Wesley concerning Christian perfection. I have emphasized some phrases. Note that Wesley separates "sins" from "trespasses" so when he says someone who has attained Christian Perfection, he is only indicating voluntary sins. The rest he calls "transgressions" or "mistakes" but all are in need of Christ's atonement, without which would expose to eternal damnation.

So for any who believe that Wesley is stating that a person reaches a state of flawlessness, or sinlessness in the sense that one is free of all error or wrongdoing, no longer in need of God's grace or atonement, it is not at all the case.

------------
Q. [1] What is Christian perfection?

A. The loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. This implies that no wrong temper, none contrary to love, remains in the soul; and that all the thoughts, words, and actions, are governed by pure love.

Q. [2] Do you affirm that this perfection excludes all infirmities, ignorance, and mistake?

A. I continually affirm quite the contrary, and always have done so.

Q. [3.] But how can every thought, word, and work be governed by pure love, and the man be subject at the same time to ignorance and mistake?

A. I see no contradiction here. “A man may be filled with pure love, and still be liable to mistake.” Indeed I do not expect to be freed from actual mistakes till this mortal puts on immortality. I believe this to be a natural consequence of the soul’s dwelling in flesh and blood. For we cannot now think at all but by the mediation of those bodily organs which have suffered equally with the rest of our frame. And hence we cannot avoid sometimes thinking wrong, till this corruptible shall have put on incorruption. But we may carry this thought farther yet. A mistake in judgment may possibly occasion a mistake in practice. For instance: Mr. de Renty’s mistake touching the nature of mortification, arising from prejudice of education, occasioned that practical mistake, his wearing an iron girdle. And a thousand such instances there may be, even in those who are in the highest state of grace. Yet where every word and action springs from love, such a mistake is not properly a sin. However, it cannot bear the rigour of God’s justice, but needs the atoning blood.

Q. [4.] What was the judgment of all our brethren who met at Bristol in August 1758 on this head?

A. It was expressed in these words: 1) Everyone may mistake as long as he lives. 2) A mistake in opinion may occasion a mistake in practice. 3) Every such mistake is a transgression of the perfect law. Therefore, 4) every such mistake, were it not for the blood of atonement, would expose to eternal damnation. 5) It follows that the most perfect have continual need of the merits of Christ, even for their actual transgressions, and may say for themselves, as well as for their brethren, “Forgive us our trespasses.” This easily accounts for what might otherwise seem to be utterly unaccountable; namely, that those who are not offended when we speak of the highest degree of love, yet will not hear of living without sin. The reason is, they know all men are liable to mistake, and that in practice as well as in judgment. But they do not know, or do not observe, that this is not sin if love is the sole principle of action.

Q. [5.] But still, if they live without sin, does not this exclude the necessity of a mediator? At least, is it not plain that they stand no longer in need of Christ in his priestly office?

A. Far from it. None feel their need of Christ like these; none so entirely depend upon him. For Christ does not give life to the soul separate from, but in and with himself. Hence his words are equally true of all men, in whatsoever state of grace they are: “As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine, no more can ye, except ye abide in me; without” (or separate from) “me, ye can do nothing.” In every state we need Christ in the following respects: 1) Whatever grace we receive, it is a free gift from him. 2) We receive it as his purchase, merely in consideration of the price he paid. 3) We have this grace not only from Christ, but in him. For our perfection is not like that of a tree, which flourishes by the sap derived from its own root, but, as was said before, like that of a branch, which, united to the vine, bears fruit, but severed from it “is dried up and withered.” 4) All our blessings, temporal, spiritual, and eternal, depend on his intercession for us, which is one branch of his priestly office, whereof therefore we have always equal need. 5) The best of men still need Christ in his priestly office, to atone for their omissions, their shortcomings (as some not improperly speak), their mistakes in judgment and practice, and their defects of various kinds. For these are all deviations from the perfect law, and consequently need an atonement. Yet that they are not properly sins, we apprehend, may appear from the words of St. Paul: “He that loveth hath fulfilled the law; for love is the fulfilling of the law.” Now mistakes, and whatever infirmities necessarily flow from the corruptible state of the body, are no way contrary to love, nor therefore, in the Scripture sense, sin.

[Q. 6 … A.] To explain myself a little farther on this head: 1) Not only sin properly so called, that is, a voluntary transgression of a known law, but sin, improperly so called, that is, an involuntary transgression of a divine law, known or unknown, needs the atoning blood. 2) I believe there is no such perfection in this life as excludes these involuntary transgressions, which I apprehend to be naturally consequent on the ignorance and mistakes inseparable from mortality. 3) Therefore “sinless perfection” is a phrase I never use, lest I should seem to contradict myself. 4) I believe a person filled with the love of God is still liable to these involuntary transgressions. 5) Such transgressions you may call “sins” if you please. I do not, for the reasons above mentioned.

Q. [7.] What advice would you give to those that do and those that do not call them so?

A. Let those who do not call them “sins” never think that themselves or any other persons are in such a state as that they can stand before infinite justice without a mediator. This must argue either the deepest ignorance, or the highest arrogance and presumption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently, neither do you.
That is correct,
He starts out with the right idea, but by the end of his writings had descended back into darkness.
When someone introduced me to his writings I was overjoyed.
His position was perfectly stated with scriptural backing.
But in the end, it was apparent he had given up his previous conviction.

I believe a man reborn of the seed of God is equipt to love God above all else, and all the time.
Having killed the flesh, with the affections and lusts, there is nothing on earth worth more than God's love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
That is correct,
He starts out with the right idea, but by the end of his writings had descended back into darkness.
When someone introduced me to his writings I was overjoyed.
His position was perfectly stated with scriptural backing.
But in the end, it was apparent he had given up his previous conviction.

I believe a man reborn of the seed of God is equipt to love God above all else, and all the time.
Having killed the flesh, with the affections and lusts, there is nothing on earth worth more than God's love.

So is there some reason you are on the Wesleyan forum if you don't at all agree with Wesleyan theology? Or are you really just trying to push your own unorthodox views that came from who knows where?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So is there some reason you are on the Wesleyan forum if you don't at all agree with Wesleyan theology? Or are you really just trying to push your own unorthodox views that came from who knows where?
I subscribe to the earliest doctrines of John Wesley.
The ones wherein man can live in perfect obedience to God.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of Paul's Rom 7 writing is a narrative of his past, while under the Law and failing.
Disagree. It was describing his life AFTER becoming a Christian but still dealing with legalism.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Disagree. It was describing his life AFTER becoming a Christian but still dealing with legalism.
Rom 7:23 says..."But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."
But Rom 8:2 says..."For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
Paul's Rom 7:23 lament must have been in hind-sight, a remembrance of a prior time, because Rom 8:2 says he has been freed from the law of sin by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.
And Rom 7:24, the culmination of his lament,..."O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"...was already answered in Rom 6:6..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Rom 7 is a transition from Rom 6's end of our walk in the flesh and Rom 8's beginning of our walk in the Spirit.
People freed from the law of sin don't commit sin anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People freed from the law of sin don't commit sin anymore.
Only if you have an inadequate definition of sin.

There is an old Hindu story about a man who was selling doves. He hd them tied up and nailed to the ground so they grew up walking only in circles on the ground. One day a Brahman came and bought the whole lot of them to set them free. When he took the string off of their feet, they flew a few feet and then landed back on the dirt and startd walking in circles again. He ran to them and shooed them off but they did the same a few feet farther away.

the point is that if legalism is what we know, we tend to drift back into it, even though we have been actually set free from it.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only if you have an inadequate definition of sin.
1 John 5:17 is sufficient for me..."All unrighteousness is sin:...)

There is an old Hindu story about a man who was selling doves. He hd them tied up and nailed to the ground so they grew up walking only in circles on the ground. One day a Brahman came and bought the whole lot of them to set them free. When he took the string off of their feet, they flew a few feet and then landed back on the dirt and startd walking in circles again. He ran to them and shooed them off but they did the same a few feet farther away.

the point is that if legalism is what we know, we tend to drift back into it, even though we have been actually set free from it.
What if God had allowed those pigeons to be reborn as mustangs?
They wouldn't have just repeated the things of the old "bird".
They would have taken up the things of all the other mustangs...and in our case the Progenitor of our new life is God.
It is Him that we emulate.
Your Hindu's pigeons are the unreborn.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 John 5:17 is sufficient for me..."All unrighteousness is sin:...)
What about “What ever is not from faith is sin?” Or “All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God?” Or “Sin is transgression of the Law?”

Your verse is a good partial answer but it is in no way complete.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about “What ever is not from faith is sin?” Or “All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God?” Or “Sin is transgression of the Law?”
Your verse is a good partial answer but it is in no way complete.
I disagree.
Without faith, everything dome by men is for self gratification...idolatry.
All, but Jesus, have sinned, but as reborn sons of God we need not sin anymore.
As we are free from the edicts of the Law, the discontinuance of abiding by it is not sin.
BTW, your version of scripture has changed "fallen short" to "fall short": as though the reborn continue to commit sin.
It has changed the phrase from past tense to present tense with the subtraction of the "en".

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BTW, your version of scripture has changed "fallen short" to "fall short": as though the reborn continue to commit sin.
As I have previously said, both the Hebrew OT and Greek NT words translated "sin" are archery terms meaning to aim at a target but miss the "mark" or bulls eye. If you do not believe me go get Strongs or any reputable lexicon and you will see that is correct.

Just because someone is reborn does not mean they hit the dead center of God's perfect will and standard every time 100%. Do you never make a mistake in what you say or do, or how you feel about things? Do you have absolutely perfect understanding of every scripture?

If not, you have sinned. You missed the mark.

Upvote 0