Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
During the time before Yeshua was born, and for sometime after, there was a dispute as to who the true High Priest was. In 6 BC, Annas the Sadducee became the High Priest. Or was he?

The Sadducees were a heretical sect that did not believe in an afterlife. They were more like Atheists than Jews.
  • Sadducees rejected entirely the supernatural, refuting belief in angels, demons, heaven, hell, and resurrection. To their way of thinking “souls die with the bodies.” The End.
Yet there is a long held belief among Christian historians that Zacharias was the true High Priest.

Zacharias, father of John the Baptist, as high priest

Unfortunately Zacharias had no son to succeed him. On a certain Day, Zacharias went into the Temple and did not come out for such a long time that the people outside marvelled. This is recorded in Luke 1:21. But for what reason could the people not enter the Temple to check on him? Perhaps the old man died in there! Shouldn't they have at least peeked in the door to see what was taking him so long? The most obvious reason was they were not allowed to enter. Only one person could enter the Temple on this particular Day. And this Day could only have been the Day of Atonement. This is why no one could go into the Temple to check on him, because they were afraid they would die!

If the High Priest was not worthy, he would die when he went in to offer incense on the Day of Atonement. According to tradition, a rope was tied around the ankle of the High Priest when he went in on this Day. If he died, they pulled out his body. Many High Priests are said to have died this way!

"There was an incident involving a certain Sadducee who was appointed as High Priest, who prepared the incense outside and then brought it into the Holy of Holies... The Sages said: Not even a few days passed until he died and was laid out in the garbage dump, and worms were coming out of his nose in punishment for his actions. And some say that he was struck as soon as he emerged from the Holy of Holies, as Rabbi Ḥiyya taught: A type of sound was heard in the Temple courtyard, as an angel came and struck him in the face. And his fellow priests came in to remove him from there and they found the likeness of a footprint of a calf between his shoulders. That is the mark left by an angel striking, as it is stated with regard to angels: “And their feet were straight feet, and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf’s foot”
Talmud Yoma 19:b

Was this "certain Saduccee" Annas' own father?
So you can imagine Annas' fear when it was his turn to have the rope around his ankle! What better way to prove who the true High Priest is, than to let Zacharias go instead! So on this Day of Atonement, Zacharias proved to all the people he was the true High Priest. When he lived, of course, this infuriated the Saduccees. It proved they were not accepted by Yahweh. But since Zacharias had no successor, they simply waited for the old man to die. Until John the Baptist was born.

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It was John the Baptist who became the next High Priest. But the Romans appointed Caiaphas, the Sadducee. And after the death of John, the High Priesthood went to Yeshua HaMashiach. However, about AD 47, Ananaias Nedebeus was the acting High Priest, appointed by Herod. Paul appears to not be aware of this in Acts 23, or so it seems.

23 Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, “Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.” 2 And the high priest Ananias commanded those who stood by him to strike him on the mouth. 3 Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! For you sit to judge me according to the law, and do you command me to be struck contrary to the law?”

4 And those who stood by said, “Do you revile God’s high priest?”

5 Then Paul said, “I did not know, brethren, that he was the high priest; for it is written, ‘You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’ ”

Now at first glance, it appears that Saul did not know that Ananaias was the High Priest. But is this logical? Excuses include the fact that Paul had been away from Jerusalem for some time before this, or that Paul was half blind. But Paul should certainly have known who the High Priest was. Especially during the council. The High Priest had a specific seat, and specific outfit. Additionally, the High Priest was the leader of the council. This should have been immediately obvious to everyone there, especially to Paul. How could Paul not have known? Was Paul lying?

After thinking about Paul's remark, it seems to me that Paul did not accept Ananaias as the High Priest. His reply was a backhanded subtle comment. As if to say, "Is he truly the High Priest? I didn't know. I thought Yeshua is the High Priest." But Paul's next remark was also subtle:

"for it is written, ‘You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’ "

And in saying this, Paul was indirectly saying that the council should not speak evil of Yeshua, the true High Priest.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know the answer to that question. I do know this, Christ in reference to John said this. "I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Regarding the courses of the priests, of which Abia was Zacharias' course, it is not written regarding whether something was done to keep the courses aligned with the seasons. The priestly courses do not align with either the solar or lunar year. Instead, the courses appear to have cycled through all seasons of the year. So trying to calculate what time of year the course of Abia was, is not so easy as counting from Abib 1.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Regarding the courses of the priests, of which Abia was Zacharias' course, it is not written regarding whether something was done to keep the courses aligned with the seasons. The priestly courses do not align with either the solar or lunar year. Instead, the courses appear to have cycled through all seasons of the year. So trying to calculate what time of year the course of Abia was, is not so easy as counting from Abib 1.

The Priests served 2 courses each throughout the year (depending on their house) as well as all of them serving on Pesakh, Shavuot and Sukkot. Zakharyah drew the lot to offer incense on the day the Malakh visited him in the Temple...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
During the time before Yeshua was born, and for sometime after, there was a dispute as to who the true High Priest was. In 6 BC, Annas the Sadducee became the High Priest. Or was he?

The Sadducees were a heretical sect that did not believe in an afterlife. They were more like Atheists than Jews.
  • Sadducees rejected entirely the supernatural, refuting belief in angels, demons, heaven, hell, and resurrection. To their way of thinking “souls die with the bodies.” The End.
Yet there is a long held belief among Christian historians that Zacharias was the true High Priest.

Zacharias, father of John the Baptist, as high priest

Unfortunately Zacharias had no son to succeed him. On a certain Day, Zacharias went into the Temple and did not come out for such a long time that the people outside marvelled. This is recorded in Luke 1:21. But for what reason could the people not enter the Temple to check on him? Perhaps the old man died in there! Shouldn't they have at least peeked in the door to see what was taking him so long? The most obvious reason was they were not allowed to enter. Only one person could enter the Temple on this particular Day. And this Day could only have been the Day of Atonement. This is why no one could go into the Temple to check on him, because they were afraid they would die!

If the High Priest was not worthy, he would die when he went in to offer incense on the Day of Atonement. According to tradition, a rope was tied around the ankle of the High Priest when he went in on this Day. If he died, they pulled out his body. Many High Priests are said to have died this way!

"There was an incident involving a certain Sadducee who was appointed as High Priest, who prepared the incense outside and then brought it into the Holy of Holies... The Sages said: Not even a few days passed until he died and was laid out in the garbage dump, and worms were coming out of his nose in punishment for his actions. And some say that he was struck as soon as he emerged from the Holy of Holies, as Rabbi Ḥiyya taught: A type of sound was heard in the Temple courtyard, as an angel came and struck him in the face. And his fellow priests came in to remove him from there and they found the likeness of a footprint of a calf between his shoulders. That is the mark left by an angel striking, as it is stated with regard to angels: “And their feet were straight feet, and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf’s foot”
Talmud Yoma 19:b

Was this "certain Saduccee" Annas' own father?
So you can imagine Annas' fear when it was his turn to have the rope around his ankle! What better way to prove who the true High Priest is, than to let Zacharias go instead! So on this Day of Atonement, Zacharias proved to all the people he was the true High Priest. When he lived, of course, this infuriated the Saduccees. It proved they were not accepted by Yahweh. But since Zacharias had no successor, they simply waited for the old man to die. Until John the Baptist was born.
Were the common people allowed into the sanctuary?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
John the Baptist the true High Priest

I had come to the same conclusion many years ago.

I've found supporting evidence from many facets.

About two years ago I stumbled onto this scholarly dissertation, which further supports this conclusion:

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It was John the Baptist who became the next High Priest. But the Romans appointed Caiaphas, the Sadducee. And after the death of John, the High Priesthood went to Yeshua HaMashiach. However, about AD 47, Ananaias Nedebeus was the acting High Priest, appointed by Herod. Paul appears to not be aware of this in Acts 23, or so it seems.

23 Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, “Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.” 2 And the high priest Ananias commanded those who stood by him to strike him on the mouth. 3 Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! For you sit to judge me according to the law, and do you command me to be struck contrary to the law?”

4 And those who stood by said, “Do you revile God’s high priest?”

5 Then Paul said, “I did not know, brethren, that he was the high priest; for it is written, ‘You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’ ”

Now at first glance, it appears that Saul did not know that Ananaias was the High Priest. But is this logical? Excuses include the fact that Paul had been away from Jerusalem for some time before this, or that Paul was half blind. But Paul should certainly have known who the High Priest was. Especially during the council. The High Priest had a specific seat, and specific outfit. Additionally, the High Priest was the leader of the council. This should have been immediately obvious to everyone there, especially to Paul. How could Paul not have known? Was Paul lying?

After thinking about Paul's remark, it seems to me that Paul did not accept Ananaias as the High Priest. His reply was a backhanded subtle comment. As if to say, "Is he truly the High Priest? I didn't know. I thought Yeshua is the High Priest." But Paul's next remark was also subtle:

"for it is written, ‘You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’ "

And in saying this, Paul was indirectly saying that the council should not speak evil of Yeshua, the true High Priest.

I don't agree with all of the opinions of this article; and I believe that some of it is in error; but it does present some interesting information on this subject:

Office of High Priest was Bought | Who Is America?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yochanan the Immerser was practicing at Betharaba. The desert there is hostile. It is a short distance from what is now called Qumran. There are mikvehs there too. Why would so many people come to this hostile environment, instead of just going to the Temple?

Perhaps this document, found at that location, might give us some insight:

War Scroll (1QM)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums