✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Beginning of the Gospel Of Truth
According to Mark, the gospel begins with John the Baptist.

Mark 1:1-3. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of God. As it is written in the prophets: behold I send my messenger before your face which shall prepare your way before you. The voice of one crying out in the wilderness to prepare the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.

We are given two scriptures, from Isaiah 40, and from Malachi 3, from which the ministry of John the Baptist draws an anointing from the Spirit of Truth.
The gospel of John tells us the ministry of John the Baptist also served as a test on the hearts of all who heard his message.

John 1:6, 7. There was a man sent from God whose name was John. The same came for
a witness to testify of the Light that all through him might believe.

It is said of John that he was sent from God. Compare this to the answer
Jesus gave
to the question: what must we do to perform the works of God?

John 6:29. Jesus answered and said: this is the work of God: that you believe
the one whom He has sent.

The words of all who are sent by God become a basis for faith.

Ephesians 2:20. Having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The words of all who are sent by God become a basis for faith

It ctually referrs only to Jesus and given the frequent appearance of those who are not of God we should be zealous in knowing what the Bible says and in challenging those who miss use it.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It ctually referrs only to Jesus and given the frequent appearance of those who are not of God we should be zealous in knowing what the Bible says and in challenging those who miss use it.
It actually does not. You do greatly err, not knowing the scriptures or the power of God.
Here is one example.
Acts 9:
10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”
11 So the Lord said to him, Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the
house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying.
12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him,
so that he might receive his sight.
13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm
he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem.
14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.
15 But the Lord said to him, Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel.
16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.
17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said,
Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came,
has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.
18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once;
and he arose and was baptized.
19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples
at Damascus.

Before the Damascus Road, Saul's hardened heart prevented him from knowing the Spirit of Truth.
He presided over the stoning of Steven. After his conversion, he was able to receive not only from the Lord, but also from the one whom He sent.

Brother TJ, by your logic, we should reject the testimony of Paul to the nations. You sound like Thomas:
"Unless Jesus Himself appears to me, I will not believe".
Are you challenging me? Challenge accepted. If you knew the scriptures as well as you are contending, you would also know the Spirit of Truth. It goes both ways. Notice the posting says part 1. More to come.
That being said, I totally respect the wisdom of testing the spirit. Can you receive?
Ephesians 5:21. submitting to one another in the fear of God.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you can demonstrate that the numerous false prophets in history have come from God, I'll look again.
Scripture identified those who were sent from God, we do not have that, but have to evaluate a man based on his words and actions and the recommendation of others.

Anyone who has watch posts here will be aware of the many problems in many small town and large town/city churches.
Pastor and elders misusing there position, mix treating some in the congregation etc etc.
Having a theological qualification is not a guarantee that this prospective pastor is a Godly man.

What practical advice do you have for a church member who is concerned about the teaching coming from the pulpit?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If you can demonstrate that the numerous false prophets in history have come from God, I'll look again.
Why would I do that? I never made that claim. We are warned to always be vigilant to discern false teachings.
What practical advice do you have for a church member who is concerned about the teaching coming from the pulpit?

We do that by abiding in the Spirit. Heeding the Voice of the Spirit. I have heard things being said from the pulpit on many occasions that grieved or vexed the Spirit. I experienced something akin to nausea.
We must be students of the scriptures, for all scripture is profitable. But our sufficiency is not of ourselves, we must have a relationship with the Lord.

Scripture identified those who were sent from God, we do not have that, but have to evaluate a man based on his words and actions and the recommendation of others.
Amen. The problem is that people think they need to hear from some "mighty man of God". As to practical advice? Find a few other brethren that you know personally and are fully committed to the Lord.
Fellowship often, learn to trust each other. Receive from the Lord, even from the one who seems weakest among you, for The Holy Spirit will preside over you. Once again,
Ephesians 5:21. submitting to one another in the fear of God.
This only works if there is a mutual commitment, yes?
I will say this again, I fully respect your vigilance in wanting to make full prove of a teaching. Find someone you can trust.
1 Thessalonians 5:
19 Do not quench the Spirit.
20 Do not despise prophecies.
21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If you can demonstrate that the numerous false prophets in history have come from God
Just as an aside, God has sent lying prophets to wicked kings. :)
1 Kings 22:
Then Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by, on His right hand and on His left.
20 And the Lord said, ‘Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?’ So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner.
21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ 2
2 The Lord said to him, ‘In what way?’ So he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And the Lord said, ‘You shall persuade him, and also prevail. Go out and do so.’
23 Therefore look! The Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the Lord has declared disaster against you.
Fun story, no?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We do that by abiding in the Spirit. Heeding the Voice of the Spirit. I have heard things being said from the pulpit on many occasions that grieved or vexed the Spirit. I experienced something akin to nausea.
We must be students of the scriptures, for all scripture is profitable. But our sufficiency is not of ourselves, we must have a relationship with the Lord.

Basically what I said in post 2.

Upvote 0