Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
JonF said:
unsure the link i gave if this first one i found with some of his stuff. What i've had up to now a friend gave me.

Same guy. This the link that I was talking about (text not audio).

My first - very brief - impressions are: Reformed theology.

Not knowing anything about it I would say that he has some seminary or whatever is equivalent - a master's or phd in some form of theology. Further, none of his preaching seems to be "we're anti-this or that" more of "this is what we believe and why" which will always get me to at least listen.

Then again, to some degree, I'm part of the proto-Calvinist wing of the RCC.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi everyone. John Piper is the preaching pastor of the church I attend (Bethlehem Baptist, in Minneapolis), so I obviously have a very positive opinion of him. Bethlehem was the first church I ever attended as a believer, and it didn't take me long to figure out that it was where I belonged. So Pastor John has obviously shaped a lot of my foundational Christian beliefs. I can certainly testify that God has used Piper to help me become "rooted and grounded" in the faith (Ephesians 3:17).

I strongly encourage everyone to read Piper's writings, even if you ultimately disagree with his theological distinctives. He is extremely knowledgable about the Bible, theology, and church history. Yet if you were to meet him in person, you'd find him to be a very humble person. He holds to orthodox Christian doctrines, but without the hypocrisy that accompanies so many modern evangelicals. He preaches from the Bible, even when it means preaching the harder teachings, but does not cause unnecessary controversy with his own opinions (i.e. he doesn't tell anyone how to vote, what movies to watch or not watch, what books to read/avoid, etc.). He's really helped to make our church orthodox, but not legalistic. And I like his social justice stand; he is a strong opponent of racism in the Christian community. If nothing else, I think everyone here will appreciate his idea of "Christian hedonism" (don't worry, it's not what it sounds like).

Well, I'll stop now. As you can tell I approve of the guy, but I don't want to turn this place into the Church of John Piper. Like everyone else he's a fallible man, so I don't want to give anyone the impression that my faith is based on Piper rather than Christ Jesus.

Tonks said:
My first - very brief - impressions are: Reformed theology.

Quite correct. He is openly a five-point Calvinist.

Tonks said:
Not knowing anything about it I would say that he has some seminary or whatever is equivalent - a master's or phd in some form of theology. Further, none of his preaching seems to be "we're anti-this or that" more of "this is what we believe and why" which will always get me to at least listen.

He's got a Ph.D. He actually did his graduate work somewhere in Germany. Anyway, I think you've also identified one of the characteristics of his preaching which appeals to me. He makes no effort to attack non-Calvinists, or Christians of different theological persuasion. Nor does he spend time criticizing false religions. Aside from the usual "controversial" issues that most evangelical Christians take up (pro-life, anti-homosexuality, etc.), he's not a very controversial person at all.

Upvote 0

mdSchultz

Feline Sensation
Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
✟15,413.00
Faith
Protestant
arunma said:
Hi everyone. John Piper is the preaching pastor of the church I attend (Bethlehem Baptist, in Minneapolis), so I obviously have a very positive opinion of him. Bethlehem was the first church I ever attended as a believer, and it didn't take me long to figure out that it was where I belonged. So Pastor John has obviously shaped a lot of my foundational Christian beliefs. I can certainly testify that God has used Piper to help me become "rooted and grounded" in the faith (Ephesians 3:17).

Much agreement here, arunma. I've read a number of Piper's books, and his fundamental thesis--that taking pleasure (true pleasure, not shallow, sinful pleasure) in God is to glorify Him forever--has been revolutionary in my life. His works have been one of two key factors (the other Dr. Timothy Keller's sermons) in my coming to know and trust Jesus Christ, and I'd highly recommend them.

What an opportunity to hear him preach on a regular basis! I am almost jealous.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
try explaining THAT one to some Presbyterians! ;) i was actually looking at a tract about the five points the other day, and an elder walks up behind me (we'd been discussing catholicism earlier in the day) and says, "try showing that to your roman catholic friends and see what they think of it."
on John Piper,
i heard that he had cancer, is this correct?

Upvote 0

Beoga

Sola Scriptura
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
✟19,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
pjw said:
i heard that he had cancer, is this correct?

About a month before he left on his sabbatical, he had surgery for the cancer. And surprisingly, a mere two weeks later he was back in the pulpit! He spent a minute mentioning some medical technobabble, which from what I understand means that he's going to be OK.

Actually, this cancer turned out to be a real blessing to our church. So many people get cancer, lose a job, or encounter bad luck in some other form, and quickly abandon their faith in Christ. Not so with Piper. He wrote an essay entitled "Don't Waste Your Cancer" (a play on a book he wrote: Don't Waste Your Life). He explained how God often afflicts his children in order to draw us closer to himself, and so that we may provide testimony about his faithfulness to us. The way that Pastor John responded was certainly an inspiration to many of us. So I can see that God brought much good out of a seemingly bad thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While in seminary, I stimbled onto www.monergism.com. Found it to be very helpful while I was in school.

Yes you can rely on John Piper. Used his works many times writing papers in seminary. arunma, it must be nice to have a wealth of bible knowledge there in the pulpit you can go to.

God Bless you friend.

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ Except for the sadness that he is a follower of the gnostic teachings of calvin, he is not a bad guy. He makes an interesting read even if a lot of his stuff is predictible regurgitation. I pray for his healing and his deliverance.
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Tonks said:
none of his preaching seems to be "we're anti-this or that" more of "this is what we believe and why" which will always get me to at least listen.

Is there a proto-Calvinist wing of the BCC or OCC?;)

Upvote 0

oneshot012

Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
He is a good guy and has some interesting stuff to say and if I remember correctly (I have not read his books all my Bible college friends like him I am to busy reading Murray and Spurgeon and Augustine) he likes world missions a lot. But good guy def a Calvinist has some great one liners in his books.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Leimeng said:
~ Except for the sadness that he is a follower of the gnostic teachings of calvin,

That is the first time I've ever heard Calvin refered to as a "legalizer" a "gnostic."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Leimeng said:
~ Except for the sadness that he is a follower of the gnostic teachings of calvin, he is not a bad guy. He makes an interesting read even if a lot of his stuff is predictible regurgitation. I pray for his healing and his deliverance.
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Gnostic? I'd like to see proof for this.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
DeaconDean said:
That is the first time I've ever heard Calvin refered to as a "legalizer" a "gnostic."

I've heard Calvin referred to as a Sith Lord.

I guess Calvin is an acquired taste. The first time I went to Bethlehem, I found out that they were Calvinist, and declared that I would never believe in such doctrine. And now, without any arm-twisting, here I am embracing TULIP.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
arunma said:
About a month before he left on his sabbatical, he had surgery for the cancer. And surprisingly, a mere two weeks later he was back in the pulpit! He spent a minute mentioning some medical technobabble, which from what I understand means that he's going to be OK.

Actually, this cancer turned out to be a real blessing to our church. So many people get cancer, lose a job, or encounter bad luck in some other form, and quickly abandon their faith in Christ. Not so with Piper. He wrote an essay entitled "Don't Waste Your Cancer" (a play on a book he wrote: Don't Waste Your Life). He explained how God often afflicts his children in order to draw us closer to himself, and so that we may provide testimony about his faithfulness to us. The way that Pastor John responded was certainly an inspiration to many of us. So I can see that God brought much good out of a seemingly bad thing.
That article, "Don't Waste Your Cancer" is excellent and I highly encourage others to read it. It can be found on the Desiring God website.

CC&E

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have never read this testimony before , it is John Piper's ........ this is a fantastic testimony : :cool:

The Absolute Sovereignty of God

What is Romans Nine About?

November 3, 2002

(Romans 9:1-5)
I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, 5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

There are two experiences in my life that make Romans 9 one of the most important chapters in shaping the way I think about everything, and the way I have been led in ministry. One happened in seminary and turned my mental world upside down. The other happened in the fall of 1979 and led to my coming to serve this church.

When I entered seminary I believed in the freedom of my will, in the sense that it was ultimately self-determining. I had not learned this from the Bible; I absorbed it from the independent, self-sufficient, self-esteeming, self-exalting air that you and I breathe every day of our lives in America. The sovereignty of God meant that he can do anything with me that I give him permission to do. With this frame of mind I entered a class on Philippians with Daniel Fuller and class on the doctrine of salvation with James Morgan.

In Philippians I was confronted with the intractable ground clause of chapter 2 verse 13: "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure," which made God the will beneath my will and the worker beneath my work. The question was not whether I had a will; the question was why I willed what I willed. And the ultimate answer – not the only answer – was God.

In the class on salvation we dealt head on with the doctrines of unconditional election and irresistible grace. Romans 9 was the watershed text and the one that changed my life forever. Romans 9:11-12 said, "Though they [Jacob and Esau] were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad – in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of his call – she was told, ‘The older will serve the younger.’" And when Paul raised the question in verse 14, "Is there injustice on God's part?" He says, no, and quotes Moses (in verse 15): "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." And when he raises the question in verse 19, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" He answers in verse 21, "Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use?"

Emotions run high when you feel your man-centered world crumbling around you. I met Dr. Morgan in the hall one day. After a few minutes of heated argument about the freedom of my will, I held a pen in front of his face and dropped it to the floor. Then I said, with not as much respect as a student ought to have, "I [!] dropped it." Somehow that was supposed to prove that my choice to drop the pen was not governed by anything but my sovereign self.

But thanks be to God’s mercy and patience, at the end of the semester I wrote in my blue book for the final exam, "Romans 9 is like a tiger going about devouring free-willers like me." That was the end of my love affair with human autonomy and the ultimate self-determination of my will. My worldview simply could not stand against the scriptures, especially Romans 9. And it was the beginning of a lifelong passion to see and savor the supremacy of God in absolutely everything.

The Fall of 1979

Then, about ten years later, came the fall of 1979. I was on sabbatical from teaching at Bethel College. My one aim on this leave was to study Romans 9 and write a book on it that would settle, in my own mind, the meaning of these verses. After six years of teaching and finding many students in every class ready to discount my interpretation of this chapter for one reason or another, I decided I had to give eight months to it. The upshot of that sabbatical was the book, The Justification of God. I tried to answer every important exegetical objection to God’s absolute sovereignty in Romans 9.

But the result of that sabbatical was utterly unexpected—at least by me. My aim was to analyze God’s words so closely and construe them so carefully that I could write a book that would be compelling and stand the test of time. What I did not expect was that six months into this analysis of Romans 9 God himself would speak to me so powerfully that I resigned my job at Bethel and made myself available to the Minnesota Baptist Conference if there were a church who would have me as a pastor.

In essence it happened like this: I was 34 years old. I had two children and a third on the way. As I studied Romans 9 day after day, I began to see a God so majestic and so free and so absolutely sovereign that my analysis merged into worship and the Lord said, in effect, "I will not simply be analyzed, I will be adored. I will not simply be pondered, I will be proclaimed. My sovereignty is not simply to be scrutinized, it is to be heralded. It is not grist for the mill of controversy, it is gospel for sinners who know that their only hope is the sovereign triumph of God’s grace over their rebellious will." This is when Bethlehem contacted me near the end of 1979. And I do not hesitate to say that because of Romans 9 I left teaching and became a pastor. The God of Romans 9 has been the Rock-solid foundation of all I have said and all I have done in the last 22 years..

http://www.desiringgod.org/library/s...02/110302.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.