London
✟16,633.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Has anyone heard that John Piper believes and teaches that initial justification is by grace alone through faith alone but final salvation is based on both faith and works? What do you think of this? I used to think Piper was a very reliable Bible teacher but now I really wonder if that is so.

Please note that this has nothing to do with true faith producing good works. There is no argument about that.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Has anyone heard that John Piper believes and teaches that initial justification is by grace alone through faith alone but final salvation is based on both faith and works? What do you think of this? I used to think Piper was a very reliable Bible teacher but now I really wonder if that is so.

Please note that this has nothing to do with true faith producing good works. There is no argument about that.
And how would we know that he believes this?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's been a long time since I read Piper (I had liked him though) ... but if you don't mind, I'd like to watch?

Any chance it might be that sanctification is acceptable as part of a life of salvation per Baptist theology? (I know there are some variations - I was brought up Baptist.) I am not sure if that's what Piper would be teaching though.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the link. I have read it and am quite pleased. While we might differ on how we express things, I am essentially in agreement with Piper on his points as well. We just had our 3-day festival weekend, and my "job" was to be inside the Church where I was available for discussion on whatever topics visitors wished. I discussed with a great many Baptists, who were interested to know if our view of salvation was different from theirs (and if so, how). When I expressed it pretty much as Piper has, they all agreed (though having been brought up Baptist, I am aware of two possibly opposing points, which I won't label as one might be considered derogatory).

While I know that we officially use very different words to express what we mean (without explanation, theosis probably sounds like blasphemy to a Baptist, but it only means that we become progressively more Christ-like), I have hope that we would find ourselves in agreement on some important points if we could but understand one another.

Thank you for your hospitality.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If this is the general response of Baptists, it may be time for me to leave and find a denomination more aligned to the historic, Reformed faith.
What did you find wrong with what he said?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't like the article.

'Whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned, he has crossed over from death to life' (John 5:24)

No two stages. You cross from death to life when you hear and believe. You have eternal life.

Mr Piper seems to be taking James out of context in that it was not written to a Gentile Church, it was written to Jews.

God Bless

:)

Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the article.

'Whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned, he has crossed over from death to life' (John 5:24)

No two stages. You cross from death to life when you hear and believe.

God Bless

:)
What part of the article went against that?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What part of the article went against that?

Hello Friend:
'In final salvation at the last judgment, faith is confirmed by the sanctifying fruit it has borne, and we are saved through that fruit and that faith'

In the sense the author is meaning I don't believe we are saved through that faith and that fruit.

We are saved through God's mercy.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hello Friend:
'In final salvation at the last judgment, faith is confirmed by the sanctifying fruit it has borne, and we are saved through that fruit and that faith'

In the sense the author is meaning I don't believe we are saved through that faith and that fruit.

We are saved through God's mercy.

God Bless :)
He’s saying the same thing James says in Chapter 2.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He’s saying the same thing James says in Chapter 2.

He shouldn't be taking James ch 2 out of context. He should be saying what Paul says in Ephesians Chapter 2. James wrote to legalistic Jews in need of salvation, Paul wrote to Gentile believers.

But I don't think John Piper is saying the same as James anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danny23000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All our good works are no better than filthy rags in the sight of a Holy God. None of us could save ourselves or make ourselves acceptable to God by our works, our fruits, our faith. God himself had to provide himself as a sin offering for us, Jesus Christ, the Son of God come in flesh to live the perfect life of faith and fruit we could not live, then die on the cross as God's atoning sacrifice for our sins. All who believe in the Lord Jesus, his finished work on the Cross will be saved, our debts PAID IN FULL. Salvation is freely given, for free and freely to any who would receive it. You can be saved, come to the Lord Jesus today. Whoever you are, if you haven't yet been saved, Jesus is waiting for you, you can be saved today :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All our good works are no better than filthy rags in the sight of a Holy God. None of us could save ourselves or make ourselves acceptable to God by our works, our fruits, our faith. God himself had to provide himself as a sin offering for us, Jesus Christ, the Son of God come in flesh to live the perfect life of faith and fruit we could not live, then die on the cross as God's atoning sacrifice for our sins. All who believe in the Lord Jesus, his finished work on the Cross will be saved, our debts PAID IN FULL. Salvation is freely given, for free and freely to any who would receive it. You can be saved, come to the Lord Jesus today. Whoever you are, if you haven't yet been saved, Jesus is waiting for you, you can be saved today :oldthumbsup:
But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. - James 2:18

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

BBAS,

Part of what John Piper states in this article helps clarify what he means by justification by faith and the place that works involves:

So, when James says these controversial words, “A person is justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24), I take him to mean not by faith which is alone, but which shows itself by works. Paul calls this effect or fruit or evidence of faith the “work of faith” (1 Thessalonians 1:3; 2 Thessalonians 1:11) and the “obedience of faith” (Romans 1:5; 16:26). These works of faith, and this obedience of faith, these fruits of the Spirit that come by faith, are necessary for our final salvation.​

Oz

Upvote 0

Danny23000

Oct 18, 2017
London
✟16,633.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's a world of difference between saying:
1) True, saving faith must produce good works
and
2) Final salvation comes through faith and good works.

At worst, this is a desertion of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. At best, it's plain confusing and will lead many to believe in good works for salvation.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There's a world of difference between saying:
1) True, saving faith must produce good works
and
2) Final salvation comes through faith and good works.

At worst, this is a desertion of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. At best, it's plain confusing and will lead many to believe in good works for salvation.
What exactly does he say that leads you to the conclusion that he holds to number 2?

Upvote 0