Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Go to your local Catholic bookstore and ask to listen to some of their demo CD's (most Catholic bookstores have them).

It all depends on your personal tastes, of course. I'm not big on JM Talbot myself; his music tends to be a tad too hippie-esque for my taste, and I'm not big on the folk vein to begin with. Some people find his music spiritual and uplifting, I just find it annoying.

Part of it is his voice---absolutely drives me batty. He does have some new CD's out that are totally instrumental, called "Pathways", and I actually like those, quite a bit. But anything where he's singing, I am not fond of. I don't care for his voice or his lyrics.

But that's just me. :)

Now the St. Louis Jesuits, on the other hand, anything written by those guys I absolutely cannot STAND!!! (shuddering in total revulsion)

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
I absolutely looove JMT!!!! We have about half of his CDs, and can't wait to buy the rest, especially some of his more recent work. Since we've been married (4.5 years), he's put out something like 15 new albums (or more). Those are awesome - the Pathways series is very good - especially for meditation/prayer (and practicing my yoga - when I remember). He has a new one with Michael Card too, called Brother 2 Brother. It is good (of course, IMHO, most things he has out are excellent). I also recommend to you the set "Come and Worship the Lord". We listened to the first CD with AnglicanFather some time ago, and completely loved it!!! It is very Charismatic - I think you might really enjoy that one.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Avila
I absolutely looove JMT!!!! We have about half of his CDs, and can't wait to buy the rest, especially some of his more recent work. Since we've been married (4.5 years), he's put out something like 15 new albums (or more). Those are awesome - the Pathways series is very good - especially for meditation/prayer (and practicing my yoga - when I remember). He has a new one with Michael Card too, called Brother 2 Brother. It is good (of course, IMHO, most things he has out are excellent). I also recommend to you the set "Come and Worship the Lord". We listened to the first CD with AnglicanFather some time ago, and completely loved it!!! It is very Charismatic - I think you might really enjoy that one.

I can't agree more! JMT is quite good at what he does, if you like his music. Funny thing, as traditional as I am, I am very eclectic in my liturgical music. JMT is right up my alley. I love his Mass settings (though the old English translations of the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei are so differently worded that I can't use them!) and he has a really good CD, Songs for Worship I&II, that has Responsorial Psalms, Mass settings, the Jesus Prayer. . .good stuff!

His Charismatic album is quite interesting too. In fact, I think you still have that one, Amy ;-)

I wish I could find some old Glory and Praise or other Modern Catholic hymnals. My parish uses the 1940 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church, and I horridly miss singing Alleluia, Alleluia, Let the Holy Anthem Rise in Eastertide.

Anyone got some old hymnals?!?!?! ;-)

Father Rob - who notes that hymnals should be the least of his worries!

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK...

I am looking for some rockin' Catholic music.

I mean stuff that sounds like straight ahead rockin' roll...not this stuff nowadays thats like punk,newave and rap rolled up into one.

There has to be a happy medium between metal, todays junk and the ooozie-cooozie Christian music.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To KC:

How about Black Gospel? Or what used to be called "Negro Spirituals"? I'm the first to admit, a LOT of liturgical music in the Catholic Church today is a DRUDGE. But you put on a tape of Spirit-moving, hand-clapping, toe-tapping Gospel music, and I'll be smiling from ear to ear, "amen" ing with the rest of them!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by KC Catholic
OK...

I am looking for some rockin' Catholic music.

I mean stuff that sounds like straight ahead rockin' roll...not this stuff nowadays thats like punk,newave and rap rolled up into one.

There has to be a happy medium between metal, todays junk and the ooozie-cooozie Christian music.

We could all start a band! :D Something like the Partridge Family..I mean, the Rolling Stones..we could get an old bus and paint it psychodelic colors. :wave:
I don't play an instrument, so I'll just stand in the back and shake the tamborine!

I've thought of everything else, so you'll have to decide on a name for our band.
Vow, Wolseley, ZooMom..Are you in?

Peace and Rock-n-Roll,
Annabel

PS..Is it obvious I didn't get any sleep last night??

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by VOW
To KC:

How about Black Gospel? Or what used to be called "Negro Spirituals"? I'm the first to admit, a LOT of liturgical music in the Catholic Church today is a DRUDGE. But you put on a tape of Spirit-moving, hand-clapping, toe-tapping Gospel music, and I'll be smiling from ear to ear, "amen" ing with the rest of them!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

No... :(

I am talking about Rock and Roll...whether its
Journey-esque or Foriegner sounding. :clap: :cool:

Petra is to poppy where as Stryper is no longer around.

I want to rock without inflicting injury to my neck area :bow: - but I don't want sugar-coated love and praises either :sick: .

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To KC:

Picky, picky, picky...

And Annabel, please, I un-volunteer myself. I cannot carry a tune, even in the proverbial bucket. People PAY me not to sing. I could hire Carnegie Hall, and stand at the door, holding out my hand, and people would file by and drop twenty dollar bills, with tears of joy in their eyes, knowing that I WON'T be singing!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Annabel Lee

We could all start a band! :D Something like the Partridge Family..I mean, the Rolling Stones..we could get an old bus and paint it psychodelic colors. :wave:
I don't play an instrument, so I'll just stand in the back and shake the tamborine!QUOTE]
I'll join Annabel...as long as it does not require me to sing, I'm with VOW on that...but I do play the harp, so can we make room for a harp in our band? :D
Amie

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Amie:

Re your harp remark:

My husband nearly KILLED me in Church one day. We found our seats and were quietly waiting for Mass to begin. Up in the choir loft, one of the parishoners was providing musical accompaniment on a harp. It sounded beautiful! My husband leaned over to me, and whispered very gently, "See that lady with the harp? She's really an ANGEL."

Do you have any idea how LOUD it sounds when you snort thru your nose in a quiet church??????

Peace and Kleenex,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Avila
especially for meditation/prayer (and practicing my yoga - when I remember).

Hi Avila,

That statement sounds a bit frightening to me. What exactly do you do in 'yoga'? Are you simply doing the exercises, or is there some nonbiblical spiritual stuff included?

I was once into meditation, yoga, mantras, wicca, the occult, taichi, psychics and all sorts of other new age related things. If anything, none of it did me any good, because I believed in many of the spiritual teachings included with taichi, wicca, etc. It was VERY dangerous stuff. I used to get nightmares and such. Nothing was helping my life. It wasn't until I gave my life to Jesus did I finally find freedom and peace. So I'm a bit concerned about your statement about 'yoga'.

-Jason

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Hoonbaba - I mainly do the asanas for strength, flexibility, and balance. I took a Hatha yoga class, and there was a minor portion of meditiation. Instead of saying "om" or something like that, I used the Jesus prayer (I think pax posted it in the "prayers" thread). It worked quite nicely as you can coordinate your breaths with it. <inhale>Lord Jesus Christ <exhale>Son of the Living God <inhale>Have mercy on me <exhale>a sinner. I found that focusing on that prayer really helped me - to relax, to refocus on Christ, etc. I've read about some of the (non-biblical) spiritual stuff in association with yoga, and quite frankly, the stuff scares me. If I hadn't had such a good experience with the asanas improving my flexibility, strength, etc., I'd probably stay far, far, far away from it. There are good principles associated with yoga, IMHO, that need to be separated from the larger practice of it, if you are a Christian. HTH.

KC - I don't think you're getting any takers on the band. LOL!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.