John Kasich says 'conscience' compelled him to speak at DNC, GOP is 'my vehicle but never my master'

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article.
Former Ohio Republican governor will speak on first night of Democratic gathering

Former Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich told CNNMonday he "had to search my conscience" before agreeing to speak at next week's Democratic National Convention in support of presumptive nominee Joe Biden.

CNN anchor Burnett disclosed that Kasich had written in then-Sen. John McCain's name for president in 2016, "which is a far cry from actually supporting the Democratic candidate for president.

“You were anti-Trump but you were not taking that extra step. What changed?" she asked.

Continued below.
John Kasich says 'conscience' compelled him to speak at DNC, GOP is 'my vehicle but never my master'

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the article.
Former Ohio Republican governor will speak on first night of Democratic gathering

Former Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich told CNNMonday he "had to search my conscience" before agreeing to speak at next week's Democratic National Convention in support of presumptive nominee Joe Biden.

CNN anchor Burnett disclosed that Kasich had written in then-Sen. John McCain's name for president in 2016, "which is a far cry from actually supporting the Democratic candidate for president.

“You were anti-Trump but you were not taking that extra step. What changed?" she asked.

Continued below.

John Kasich is still saltier than the Dead Sea over 2016.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, probably took him all of about 5 seconds which was dominated in his thoughts by how much he hates Trump. Kasich is finished in the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Yeah, probably took him all of about 5 seconds which was dominated in his thoughts by how much he hates Trump. Kasich is finished in the Republican Party.
The Republican Party is finished - the House put their "Heroes Bill" on McConnell's desk at the end of May and Senate Republicans had 8 weeks to reach a consensus amongst themselves and then negotiate a compromise with the Democrats as they had done earlier!

The Senate Republicans, in their infinite wisdom, took their summer recess in the middle of the Pandemic and did neither - given that it is doubtful that average Americans will ever see a penny of Trump's $400 plan, the nation has experienced enough congressional "gridlock" to come to the conclusion that the Senate needs to be flipped in 2020!

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The Republican Party is finished
I wouldn't send flowers to the funeral home just yet.....
the House put their "Heroes Bill" on McConnell's desk at the end of May and Senate Republicans had 8 weeks to reach a consensus amongst themselves and then negotiate a compromise with the Democrats as they had done earlier!

The Senate Republicans, in their infinite wisdom, took their summer recess in the middle of the Pandemic and did neither - given that it is doubtful that average Americans will see a penny of Trump's rescue plan, the nation has seen enough congressional "gridlock" to come to the conclusion that the Senate needs to be flipped in 2020!
And now the democrats say NO! because the Senate proposal does not support the liberal agenda and they become outraged because Trump does an end run around them. Hey, let'm sue if they think he is wrong....of course they will get beat over their heads with that until election day so my guess is they will simple encourage their media masters to continue attacking without attribution.....Que sera, sera......

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Republican Party is finished - the House put their "Heroes Bill" on McConnell's desk at the end of May and Senate Republicans had 8 weeks to reach a consensus amongst themselves and then negotiate a compromise with the Democrats as they had done earlier!

The Senate Republicans, in their infinite wisdom, took their summer recess in the middle of the Pandemic and did neither - given that it is doubtful that average Americans will ever see a penny of Trump's $400 plan, the nation has experienced enough congressional "gridlock" to come to the conclusion that the Senate needs to be flipped in 2020!
Actually sir, it is likely the democrat party that will be finished after the elections.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
And now the democrats say NO! because the Senate proposal does not support the liberal agenda and they become outraged because Trump does an end run around them. Hey, let'm sue if they think he is wrong....of course they will get beat over their heads with that until election day so my guess is they will simple encourage their media masters to continue attacking without attribution.....Que sera, sera......
Given the Republican Senate's refusal to provide funds to the states of offset their expenses after this President downloaded the responsibilities for combating the Pandemic onto their shoulders, why doesn't the White House know that Governors lack those $billions at their disposal to sign onto Trump's $400 plan?

The Senate Republicans also refuse to provide additional funds to protect the nation's election system from foreign intervention and the resources necessary to ensure that the US Postal Service will meet the anticipated demands of mail-in ballots - instead of setting it up to fail!

This President and his supporters will be the 1st to complain if the mail-in process in the middle of a Pandemic doesn't operate smoothly, after doing everything in their power to make this "a self-fulfilling prophecy!"

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Given the Republican Senate's refusal to provide funds to the states of offset their expenses after this President downloaded the responsibilities for combating the Pandemic onto their shoulders, why doesn't the White House know that Governors lack those $billions at their disposal to sign onto Trump's $400 plan?
The senate plan allocates 150 billion to state and local governments. I don't doubt that number is negotiable but not to the 950 billion the democrats as demanding in order to bailout democrat controlled states and cities. Try sticking to the facts for once.
The Senate Republicans also refuse to provide additional funds to protect the nation's election system from foreign intervention and the resources necessary to ensure that the US Postal Service will meet the anticipated demands of mail-in ballots -
Murkowski, Sullivan back Senate bill to help Postal Service - Alaska Public Media
Using alternative facts to support your claims is never a good idea......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From the article.

I believe Kasich is just one of many republicans and conservatives who speak out against and will not vote for trump. So he'll speak at the DNC...read the columns and articles of many conservatives....

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Well, the thing is that Kasich already was finished in the Republican Party, which is why this little moment in the spotlight was probably the best he could do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe Kasich is just one of many republicans and conservatives who speak out against and will not vote for trump.
A lot of wishful thinking goes into a conclusion like that one. The polling and the primary election results both show a very high level of support among Republicans. It's the Independent voters who will determine the 2020 election.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of wishful thinking goes into a conclusion like that one. The polling and the primary election results both show a very high level of support among Republicans. It's the Independent voters who will determine the 2020 election.

Will, Schmidt, Wilson, Kristol, Charon, Powell, ... I think the problem is that contrary to trump who calls any republican who offers disagreement to him a RINO, the actual RINOs are the unfettered trump supporters. Let the denigration of George Will and others begin...though he and the others represent the best of conservatism.

“How did the crazies take over the movement? Is there anything left of the principled conservatism that we thought had underlaid the conservative revolution?” Bulwark editor-in-chief Charlie Sykes said.

Revenge of the Never Trumpers: Meet the Republican Dissidents Fighting to Push Donald Trump Out of Office

Conservative columnist George Will wins over liberals with scathing takedown of Trump, congressional 'enablers'

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Will, Schmidt, Wilson, Kristol, Charon, Powell, ... I think the problem is that contrary to trump who calls any republican who offers disagreement to him a RINO

It's not Trump who coined the expression or defined the meaning, nor is it Trump who has made the use of it commonplace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not Trump who coined the expression or defined the meaning, nor is it Trump who has made the use of it commonplace.

Yes, I overstated his use of RINO he usually uses more hateful rhetoric... but he just called Sasse a RINO, and has called "The Lincoln Project" a bunch of RINOs. My only point was that I have considerable respect for Will and many other staunch intelligent conservatives... and what they say should matter to people who claim that descriptive.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I overstated his use of RINO he usually uses more hateful rhetoric...
Almost anything would be more "hateful" than that term, wouldn't it? ;)

but he just called Sasse a RINO, and has called "The Lincoln Project" a bunch of RINOs. My only point was that I have considerable respect for Will and many other staunch intelligent conservatives... and what they say should matter to people who claim that descriptive.

Well, you know, they have opposed the President from the start and some went so far as to find a nobody to run against him in the General Election in 2016 just to turn the election over to Hillary, so I'm having some difficulty with the idea that calling them Republicans In Name Only ought to be seen as "hateful rhetoric."

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, you know, they have opposed the President from the start and some went so far as to find a nobody to run against him in the General Election in 2016 just to turn the election over to Hillary, so I'm having some difficulty with the idea that calling them Republicans In Name Only ought to be seen as "hateful rhetoric."

"Trump is a philosophically unmoored political opportunist who would trash the broad conservative ideological consensus within the GOP (Republican Party) in favor of a free-floating populism with strong-man overtones,..."

I'm having a hard time understanding why one would not give due consideration to the people who represent the best of conservatism and republican ideology and values? So it seems to me that in fact the true RINOs lay directly in the trump supporter camp.

*Do you really need examples of his rhetoric against people who question or disagree with him?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Trump is a philosophically unmoored political opportunist who would trash the broad conservative ideological consensus within the GOP (Republican Party) in favor of a free-floating populism with strong-man overtones,..."

I'm having a hard time understanding why one would not give due consideration to the people who represent the best of conservatism and republican ideology and values?

First, you are referring to a mere handful of writers. They do not in any way speak for conservatism or the Republican Party. The leader of the group, in fact, is a neo-con and a self-described Democrat.

In addition, to deliberately go out and seek someone, anyone, to run as a third party candidate simply to deny the Republican nominee the Presidency is to put one's self out of the Republican party, everything philosophical aside. Surely you cannot dispute that.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, you are referring to a mere handful of writers. They do not in any way speak for conservatism or the Republican Party. The leader of the group, in fact, is a neo-con and a self-described Democrat.

In addition, to deliberately go out and seek someone, anyone, to run as a third party candidate simply to deny the Republican nominee the Presidency is to put one's self out of the Republican party, everything philosophical aside. Surely you cannot dispute that.

I am referring to those, such as Will, who best represent conservatism - and much more than a "handful"... do you really believe that their intent is arbitrary? I do accept that conservative and republican are simply subjective buzzwords with malleable meanings and quite adaptable to whomever claims the mantle.

Of course you do realize that just as the quote in a previous post (#18) was from National Review, and that a brief perusal of republican thoughts on trump were rife with critical views and harsh admonitions. It seems that republicans have become quite loose and permissive with their ...well whatever a conservative or republican is supposed to stand for, and as you note there is no particular intellectual spokesperson.

Wasn't it the Bush administration that had an ample supply of of neo-cons. So why would it be to put "one's self out of the Republican party" when the nominee ostensibly represents that which is counter to Republican ideals?

Upvote 0