Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, that's not a fair interpretation of the events and it's not even logic.

I think we can fairly say Australia....particularly its government....was in HRC's camp.

The allegation of a possible Russian operative approaching the campaign began with a fellow named Mifsud in the spring of 2016 who befriended Papadopoulos and who claimed he knew people in high levels of the Russian government. In May of 2016, Papadopoulos, a Trump campaign official, told a foreign diplomat that he had knowledge that Russia had dirt on Hillary in the form of thousands of Hillary's emails. The allegation was witnessed to twice, and by two separate diplomats.

Wonderful. It shouldn't have been to difficult to verify those people were all in the same place. Why didn't they?

That is also documented in sworn testimony from the Mueller report:
Mifsud told Papadopoulos that he had met with high-level Russian government officials during his recent trip to Moscow. Mifsud also said that, on the trip, he learned that the Russians had obtained “dirt” on candidate Hillary Clinton. As Papadopoulos later stated to the FBI, Mifsud said that the “dirt” was in the form of “emails of Clinton,” and that they “have thousands of emails.”

Which would be an easy accusation to make considering the public nature of her investigation.

That's a total misrepresentation of the facts.

In what way?

Prior to crossfire hurricane the FBI is already conducting a counterintelligence investigation into the Russian hack of the Whitehouse, the state department, the joint chiefs of staff, and the DNC. In mid-July 2016 Guccifer 2.0 is dumping hacked materials from the DNC so as to hurt the Hillary campaign, which of course is a federal crime happening in real-time.

Which federal crime are you talking about? Rigging the DNC nomination? Or revealing the nomination was rigged?

At this same time, the FBI hears about Papadopoulos, a Trump campaign official, who was approached by someone with knowledge of Hillary emails that had been hacked. The FBI were therefore obligated to investigate whether the Russians were attempting to compromise the Trump campaign. The investigation wasn't even into candidate Trump, but whether his campaign was knowingly co-operating with Russian dissemination of Hacked material.

How? Russians released the info on their own.

The standard for opening a full investigation is "an articulable factual basis for the investigation that reasonably indicates that ... [a]n activity constituting a federal crime or a threat to the national security ... is or may be occurring ... and the investigation may obtain information relating to the activity.''

Ok....so in this case, we lack the factual basis.....as until this point, only allegations have been made. Those don't suddenly become facts when spoken.

Do you understand the difference between evidence and allegation?

The FBI, as both a federal crime and an ongoing counter-intelligence matter, would have been derelict in their duty to not investigate a Russian attempt to infiltrate a Presidential campaign with the promise of hacked information.

Right....but given the sensitive nature of investigating 1 of 2 candidates for office....particularly under the orders of the opposite party....one needs more than hearsay.

No you don't have to explain the difference, thanks for asking though. Actually, the allegations turned out to be true, Russia did in fact have thousands of hacked emails from Hillary, and Papadopoulos was forming friendships with people indicating they could arrange high level meetings with Russia.

Russia also hacked the RNC. As for Papadopoulos forming friendships.....is this a joke?

There is no conclusive evidence that Trump or his campaign conspired or coordinated in interference activities, but Roger stone did have a contact with WikiLeaks informing him what types of emails and when dumps of those hacked materials would happen. However, as pertains to collusion, what bothers me the most, is the email exchanges with Don jr. conveying that Russia secretly wanted to help Trump, which turned into the subsequent meeting at Trump tower, followed by the public denial of any knowledge of Russia involving themselves to help their campaign.

Yeah...troubling. This never happens. Foreign leaders and emissaries never meet with presidential candidates.

Well, I don't agree with that assessment because that's not even the case here. It was already known that crowd strike had determined it was Russia that hacked the DNC, so any information from two witnesses of a Trump campaign official being approached with knowledge of Hillary emails from Russia would need to be investigated. Particularly if the campaign official didn't notify the FBI knowing of its illegality.

Right....you would want to investigate the allegations. Assuming them true would be biased and catastrophically stupid.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some people might reasonably think there's something suspicious to a guy who got help from Russia easing sanctions against them after being elected.

Those sanctions were put in place after the election.

It can't possibly be a reason to help him before the election.

This reads like a few fragments of right-wing mythology smushed together into something which makes zero sense unless one lives among the right echo chamber.

Cool story.

Your memory doesn't seem to line up with what actually happened.

I remember a bunch of liberals foaming at the mouth at the prospect of a Trump impeachment that never happened.

Turned out the story was bogus.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Those sanctions were put in place after the election.

It can't possibly be a reason to help him before the election.

Is the argument that working to put the guy into a position of power doesn't matter if the guy then uses his power to help those people with something that came up after the help?

Seems like a pretty weak defense to me.

I remember a bunch of liberals foaming at the mouth at the prospect of a Trump impeachment that never happened.

I'm not convinced your memory is accurate here, either on the foaming at the mouth bit, or memory that Donald didn't get impeached. At least one is factually incorrect, and the other just seems like an attempt at a lame personal attack given the facts have a liberal bias.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is the argument that working to put the guy into a position of power doesn't matter if the guy then uses his power to help those people with something that came up after the help?

Seems like a pretty weak defense to me.

No...c'mon, of course not. The argument is you're bad at timelines.

You literally suggested that Russia helped Trump win....so that he could remove sanctions that didn't exist before he won.

See how that doesn't work in reality? Try to think of time as moving forward....

I'm not convinced your memory is accurate here, either on the foaming at the mouth bit, or memory that Donald didn't get impeached. At least one is factually incorrect, and the other just seems like an attempt at a lame personal attack given the facts have a liberal bias.

You don't seem aware of any facts....but at least you're aware of your liberal bias.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You literally suggested that Russia helped Trump win....so that he could remove sanctions that didn't exist before he won.

No, I answered the question of what Russia got out of the deal. There's clearly a pattern that can't be dismissed in any reasonable way, so we get this attempt to pretend that Russia didn't get anything from Donald fighting sanctions against Russia and withholding aid from Ukraine because those things happened after Donald was elected and had the ability to try them.

With a defense that weak, makes me wonder what the real reason for trying to sell his support for Russia might be.

You don't seem aware of any facts....but at least you're aware of your liberal bias.
Does this kinda stuff work in place of actual reality-based discussions in right-wing echo chambers? Cause I'm just kinda chuckling at the desperation of so quickly needing to run away from the content of what I posted.

Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I answered the question of what Russia got out of the deal.

You listed the lifting of sanctions that were imposed after Trump got elected....

That couldn't possibly have been part of any deal to help him get elected. Nobody can see the future.

withholding aid from Ukraine because those things happened after Donald was elected and had the ability to try them.
Shame too....since it appears the Biden family is corrupt.

With a defense that weak, makes me wonder what the real reason for trying to sell his support for Russia might be.

What defense? You're unable to follow a simple matter of which of 2 things happened first.

Do you think the Russians have a time machine or something?

Does this kinda stuff work in place of actual reality-based discussions in right-wing echo chambers?

What stuff? You can say "right wing echo chambers" till you're blue in the face....you've failed to make any points. You haven't made an argument.

You're just confused about what happened and when.

Cause I'm just kinda chuckling at the desperation of so quickly needing to run away from the content of what I posted.
I addressed your links....you seem to think Russia made a deal to get Trump elected so he could remove sanctions that didn't even exist yet.

I don't even need a brain to respond to that lol.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You listed the lifting of sanctions that were imposed after Trump got elected....

And withholding aid to Ukraine, and supporting Putin's claims over those of US intelligence services. Yep.

That couldn't possibly have been part of any deal to help him get elected. Nobody can see the future.

I imagine one doesn't have to be very smart to realize that once elected president, a president can do things presidents can do. Don't see how it is so difficult here.

Shame too....since it appears the Biden family is corrupt.

Throwing out random unfounded accustions is a pretty ineffective way to try and change the subject away from the demonstrated ways Donald helped Russian interests during his term.
What defense? You're unable to follow a simple matter of which of 2 things happened first.

Do you think the Russians have a time machine or something?

What stuff? You can say "right wing echo chambers" till you're blue in the face....you've failed to make any points. You haven't made an argument.

You're just confused about what happened and when.

All of this bluster and fumbling about is amusing, thanks for that.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So Mueller comes out and says there wasn't anything to the whole Trump Russia hoax.
Can you cite a source where Mueller says that? I think you'll find that you're mistaken if you look.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And withholding aid to Ukraine,

What does your article say about that?

Does it say it was done to help Russia?

Or was it done to investigate Biden?

and supporting Putin's claims over those of US intelligence services. Yep.

Read the Durham Report, the Mueller Report, and the bogus letter the left wing media circulated about a certain laptop. Then consider the Chinese spy balloons flying across the nation....

Our intel community isn't exactly top notch these days.

I imagine one doesn't have to be very smart to realize that once elected president, a president can do things presidents can do. Don't see how it is so difficult here.

I'm not going to explain cause and effect or the mysterious process of time to you....

If you don't understand why your response fails completely....these concepts are way out of your reach.

Throwing out random unfounded accustions is a pretty ineffective way to try and change the subject away from the demonstrated ways Donald helped Russian interests during his term.

He lifted sanctions imposed for "election interference" which turned out to be....

Exposing DNC corruption.

All of this bluster and fumbling about is amusing, thanks for that.

Don't know what bluster you're referring to.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think we can fairly say Australia....particularly its government....was in HRC's camp.
I think we can fairly say Russia was in Trump Tower.
Wonderful. It shouldn't have been to difficult to verify those people were all in the same place. Why didn't they?
I believe they had contemporaneous verification. Durham: These meetings were documented by Downer on May 11, 2016 and by Australian Diplomat-I later in the month.
Which would be an easy accusation to make considering the public nature of her investigation.
Whatever accusation you're referring to is a moot point since we now know Russia was helping Trump and the campaign knew it.
In what way?

The required predicate for opening a full investigation does not articulate in terms of evidence, and Cross fire Hurricane was not investigating Trump.
How? Russians released the info on their own.
Yeah, that's essentially what Papadopoulos was describing.
Ok....so in this case, we lack the factual basis.....as until this point, only allegations have been made. Those don't suddenly become facts when spoken.
It's a statement of facts that reasonably indicate an activity constituting a federal crime or a threat to the national security has or may have occurred, is or may be occurring, or will or may occur. The decision was unanimous by all FBI senior executives.

Do you understand the difference between evidence and allegation?
It's a moot point since I'm sure the FBI knows.
Right....but given the sensitive nature of investigating 1 of 2 candidates for office....particularly under the orders of the opposite party....one needs more than hearsay.
Who said it was under the orders of the opposite party and why should that even matter? It was the leaking of hacked Hillary emails through WikiLeaks in Mid-July that was the impetus for the two diplomats to come forward with their hearsay about Russia releasing Hillary emails to help the Trump campaign back in early May. There was the crime they heard about happening right in front of their eyes. That should count as some verification.
As for Papadopoulos forming friendships.....is this a joke?
From the Mueller report:
Papadopoulos’s Russia-related communications with Campaign officials continued throughout the spring and summer of 2016. On May 4, 2016, he forwarded to Lewandowski an email from Timofeev raising the possibility of a meeting in Moscow, asking Lewandowski whether that was “something we want to move forward with.”469 The next day, Papadopoulos forwarded the same Timofeev email to Sam Clovis, adding to the top of the email “Russia update.”470 He included the same email in a May 21, 2016 message to senior Campaign official Paul Manafort, under the subject line “Request from Russia to meet Mr. Trump,” stating that “Russia has been eager to meet Mr. Trump for quite sometime and have been reaching out to me to discuss.”471 Manafort forwarded the message to another Campaign official, without including Papadopoulos, and stated: “Let[’]s discuss. We need someone to communicate that [Trump) is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the Campaign so as not to send any signal.”472

On June 1, 2016, Papadopoulos replied to an earlier email chain with Lewandowski about a Russia visit, asking if Lewandowski “want[ed] to have a call about this topic” and whether “we were following up with it.”473 After Lewandowski told Papadopoulos to “connect with” Clovis because he was “running point,” Papadopoulos emailed Clovis that “the Russian MFA” was asking him “if Mr. Trump is interested in visiting Russia at some point.”474 Papadopoulos wrote in an email that he “[w]anted to pass this info along to you for you to decide what’s best to do with it and what message I should send (or to ignore).”475

After several email and Skype exchanges with Timofeev,476 Papadopoulos sent one more email to Lewandowski on June 19, 2016, Lewandowski’s last day as campaign manager.477 The email stated that “[t]he Russian ministry of foreign affairs” had contacted him and asked whether, if Mr. Trump could not travel to Russia, a campaign representative such as Papadopoulos could attend meetings.478 Papadopoulos told Lewandowski that he was “willing to make the trip off the record if it’s in the interest of Mr. Trump and the campaign to meet specific people.”
Yeah...troubling. This never happens. Foreign leaders and emissaries never meet with presidential candidates.
To discuss getting them dirt on their opponent and releasing sanctions?
Right....you would want to investigate the allegations. Assuming them true would be biased and catastrophically stupid.
It's futile to argue semantics that can only end in hypocritical bias; even if I were to assume the report was false, I would still have to investigate.

Look at it this way, it was already true that Russia was dumping Hillary's emails anonymously, so the FBI would want to investigate how the Trump campaign knew about it months in advance. Just like they would want to know who Roger Stone's contact in WikiLeaks was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,673.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Steven Smith was a Labour minister. Labour were in opposition when he wrote that. And Steven Smith had left government at that point. :doh:

The idea of him being representative of the Australian government's position on Trump would be a bit like using using Leon Panetta or John Kerry as representative of what the Trump administration thought about Scott Morrison following the 2018 leadership spill in Australia.

Here's the thing though - you're right. Trump was DEEPLY unpopular in Australia. Even before he was elected. Afterwards, particularly following his poor showing on a phone call with Malcolm Turnbull, he got less popular still.

Eventually, we built up a sort of grudinging tolerance to his antics. A bit like exposure therapy - the terrible thing appears less bad after you've had time to adjust. But, even across the right-wing Australian parties he was never popular. I don't think he ever cracked 50% approval from anyone barring voters from the white-nationalist and neo-Fascist set.

It wasn't because we were for in Hillary Clinton's camp. It was because when you're faced with boring normality or interesting danger, you choose the side that's not an obvious lunatic.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The title of this thread is funny "John Durham concludes FBI should NOT have investigated Trump"
Because, as we already know, the FBI didn't investigate Donald Trump.
James Comey even told D Trump that he wasn't personally under investigation.

D Trump only came under investigation when Rod Rossenstien started up a special council investigation. He asked them to look into obstruction, but as overseer he also made sure that Mueller wasn't to indict the sitting president.

• Winner
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What does your article say about that?

Does it say it was done to help Russia?

You're really trying to sell the idea that the US President withholding defensive military aid to a country that Russia subsequently invaded wouldn't help Russia in the least?

Read the Durham Report, the Mueller Report, and the bogus letter the left wing media circulated about a certain laptop. Then consider the Chinese spy balloons flying across the nation....

Our intel community isn't exactly top notch these days.

I love that far-right talking points have backed people so far into a corner that they are forced to agree with Russian propaganda to keep the house of cards from collapsing. Shows me how seriously to take the claims.

I'm not going to explain cause and effect or the mysterious process of time to you....

If you're really that confused about the timelines of benefits parties get from each other, this is going to blow your mind : Reds receive player to be named later from Mariners in Winker/Suarez trade. Not only do both parties not get something from the deal at the exact same instant, but it turns out that two parties can in fact figure out things about the future and make them work.

So like other far-right propaganda, the reality of situations like this seem quite different from the talking points.

He lifted sanctions imposed for "election interference" which turned out to be....
Things found in the investigation linked here, for starters : Senate panel finds Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. election

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The title of this thread is funny "John Durham concludes FBI should NOT have investigated Trump"
Exactly. This is Blatant propaganda, and it works to foment anger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. This is Blatant propaganda, and it works to foment anger.

There was no other reason for the who "Durham investigation" as the Inspector General had already done their work.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was no other reason for the who "Durham investigation" as the Inspector General had already done their work.
Exactly. The language in the Durham report consistently articulates the actions taken by the FBI in reaction to Russian collusion, as if the FBI were sinister for reacting. Not so in the Horowitz report.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

D Trump only came under investigation when Rod Rossenstien started up a special council investigation. He asked them to look into obstruction, but as overseer he also made sure that Mueller wasn't to indict the sitting president.
Yes, Trump won the prize of a special counsel after Comey was fired by Trump for investigating Mike Flynn and his interactions with, wait for it, Russians.

Durham thinks that the Russian investigation should have been just preliminary, and when those being interviewed were caught lying about their interactions with Russians replete with their own admittance, it should never have been a full investigation.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The hoax....the hoax that Russian disinformation led to Trump's election. The hoax that the Trump campaign in some way conspired with the Russians to win the election. The idea that Trump was Putin's puppet and the many other suggestions that the left made for years.

The Trump campaign was sharing political data with Russians.
The Trump campaign was actively seeking help from Russians regarding the presidential campaign.
The Trump campaign was actively interacting with Russian cutouts to make use of that data.
The Trump campaign was lobbying Russian for help, and Russia reciprocated.

What the Russians were offering was in fact help for Trump, and plenty of disinformation, and that Trump campaign was receptive. That is no hoax, No one is saying that disinformation is reason why Trump won. There are many other factors. And yes, Trump is Putin's lapdog in defense of Putin at every turn.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm sorry to be jumping in so late but I'm hoping someone can give me a quick "uh yeah" if I'm correct:

The Mueller report indicted 34 people (guilt from 8 and 3 Russian businesses), compelling evidence of Trump obstructing justice and 14 other matters sent to the DOJ.

So how can anyone logically argue that the impetous for an investigation was misguided and should not have occurred when there were so many actions of concern?

Is the other side arguing "They had to stretch the law to indict individuals who broke the law and that's not okay" or are they arguing that "we should have just let them break the law without charging them"?

Upvote 0