Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The first THE THING movie was made in the 50's, I think.

Then came the Kurt Russel remake -- unique in that it had no females wahtsover in the movie...

Then the 2011 re-remake.

I like the Kurt Russel one the best.

Reactions: 2Sugars
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes! It's one of my all-time favorites. I didn't see the recent prequel because of all the hubbub surrounding its effects (one of the main things that makes Carpenter's version work so well is its masterful use of lighting and practical effects, so seeing a CGI-laden mess bearing its name is not high on my list of priorities, especially since I know that they had practical effects in it that looked great but were nixed by dumb studio people; ugh!), but I did recently see the film "Annihilation" starring Natalie Portman (an actress I honestly don't usually care for) and was struck by some interesting tonal similarities to The Thing (though The Thing is obviously still light years beyond it in basically every single way). I would recommend seeing that on Amazon Prime or another service that would offer it for free to subscribers (not sure if it'd be worth a purchase or not; if you look at IMDB, you'll see from the reviews that it is very polarizing), if you like movies like The Thing. Some of the landscapes and 'nature shots' (of animals, etc.) in Annihilation are absolutely breathtaking and make me wish I could've seen it in the theater.

But yes, The Thing (1982) is great!

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Not all of us here are human".

(Could be said of posters at CF!)

Anyway, the brunette female lead did a good job in the re-remake, but I thought there were TOO MANY CHARACTERS...

In the Kurt Russel version, there was only a handful of characters, and it was interesting to try to figure out who if anyone had been THINGED.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But yes, The Thing (1982) is great!

I saw it back in the 80s as a 15 year old was very blown away by it. It was a break through movie (like the original Star Wars) only its greatness was in its scariness, dread, suspense and fantastic creature affects.

Reactions: Aquatic Waves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I saw it on DISH. (the 2011 version)

Still like the Russell version in 82 as the best.

I don't remember much about the original in the 50's

I thought it was a very competent sequel. The 80's one was better just because of it being so shocking seeing how there wasn't a movie around like it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aquatic Waves

Mar 31, 2019
USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The first THE THING movie was made in the 50's, I think.

Then came the Kurt Russel remake -- unique in that it had no females wahtsover in the movie...

Then the 2011 re-remake.

I like the Kurt Russel one the best.

Not to sound PC here but they could had 1 or 2 female members in the movie. Not as love interests. As workers like the guys. But regardless, I still love it.

Upvote 0

Aquatic Waves

Mar 31, 2019
USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Not all of us here are human".

(Could be said of posters at CF!)

Anyway, the brunette female lead did a good job in the re-remake, but I thought there were TOO MANY CHARACTERS...

In the Kurt Russel version, there was only a handful of characters, and it was interesting to try to figure out who if anyone had been THINGED.

The prequel had less characters I think while Carpenter's version had 12

Upvote 0