Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was translating Revelation and studying on certain greek words and this particular greek word #3963 stood out.
It is the only place in the whole NT which mentions this word.
I would like to ask what the meaning of this word is and is it a literal island called "patmos"? I would think the english word is simply the way the transliterated form of this word is used.
And also, where does it say WHEN he might have visioned Revelation?

[There also seems to be a lot of variations in the 3 major greek texts I used for this verse....]Thanks.

Reve 1:9 I John the brother of ye and joint-partaker in the affliction and kingdom and endurance in *Jesus Christ* came to be in the island, the being called Patmos/patmw <3963>, because of the word of the God and because of the testimony of Jesus *Christ*.

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

Revelation 1:9 egw iwannhV o *** adelfoV umwn kai ***koinwnoV en th qliyei kai ** ** basileia kai upomonh en *cristw* ihsou egenomhn en th nhsw th kaloumenh patmw dia ton logon tou qeou kai dia thn marturian ihsou *cristou

3963. Patmos pat'-mos of uncertain derivation; Patmus, an islet in the Mediterranean:--Patmos.

Eucharistic Adoration

May 1, 2009
✟657.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was translating Revelation and studying on certain greek words and this particular greek word #3963 stood out.
It is the only place in the whole NT which mentions this word.
I would like to ask what the meaning of this word is and is it a literal island called "patmos"? I would think the english word is simply the way the transliterated form of this word is used.
And also, where does it say WHEN he might have visioned Revelation?

[There also seems to be a lot of variations in the 3 major greek texts I used for this verse....]Thanks.

Reve 1:9 I John the brother of ye and joint-partaker in the affliction and kingdom and endurance in *Jesus Christ* came to be in the island, the being called Patmos/patmw <3963>, because of the word of the God and because of the testimony of Jesus *Christ*.

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

Revelation 1:9 egw iwannhV o *** adelfoV umwn kai ***koinwnoV en th qliyei kai ** ** basileia kai upomonh en *cristw* ihsou egenomhn en th nhsw th kaloumenh patmw dia ton logon tou qeou kai dia thn marturian ihsou *cristou

3963. Patmos pat'-mos of uncertain derivation; Patmus, an islet in the Mediterranean:--Patmos.

I was thinking about this recently.

Do you know of any credible extrabiblical accounts of his time in captivity?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was thinking about this recently.

Do you know of any credible extrabiblical accounts of his time in captivity?
I am of the view he could have visioned Revelation anytime after the ascension of Jesus or Pentecost.
I notice there is also this version of it, which I would tend to agree with more than not. Thoughts?

CHURCH FATHERS: Revelation of St. John

After the taking up of our Lord Jesus Christ, I John was alone upon Mount Tabor, where also He showed us His undefiled Godhead; and as I was not able to stand, I fell upon the ground, and prayed to the Lord, and said: O Lord my God, who hast deemed me worthy to be Your servant, hear my voice, and teach me about Your coming........................
................And again I heard a voice saying to me: Behold, you have heard all these things, righteous John; deliver them to faithful men, that they also may teach others, and not think lightly of them, nor cast our pearls before swine, lest perchance they should trample them with their feet. Matthew 7:6

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Why would you not think it literal? Isn't the island still called Patmos today?

When a geographic place name is of uncertain derivation, it could mean the word comes from a proper noun, i.e., someone's name.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why would you not think it literal? Isn't the island still called Patmos today?

When a geographic place name is of uncertain derivation, it could mean the word comes from a proper noun, i.e., someone's name.
Where does the greek word for "patmos" originate and what is the meaning of it is what I also would like to know :wave:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thks Ortho but I was hoping for a meaning of that word and if there is an equivalent Hebrew word in the OT for it.
I really do not think it is the one we know of as the island Patmos today......Just thinking out loud :p

.....Patmos was mentioned only on rare occasions in Greek history by ancient Greek authors in their works. The Carians are supposed to have been its prehistoric inhabitants. The name of the island "Patmos" believed to be related to Latmos, which is mountain's name at the area of Ancient Karia, a land in Asia Minor, where the goddess Artemis was particularly worshipped. .........

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We kwon that it is...

from the link:

The name of the island "Patmos" believed to be related to Latmos, which is mountain's name at the area of Ancient Karia, a land in Asia Minor, where the goddess Artemis was particularly worshipped.

I think that's as close as your going to get. It's strictly Greek.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where does the greek word for "patmos" originate and what is the meaning of it is what I also would like to know :wave:

I'm just saying one possibility is that it has no "meaning"; it could be some very ancient Greek explorer's name. Like "America" is named for Amerigo Vespucci; "America" doesn't have a meaning we can discern, it was just a person's name.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I found this infrormation but not sure about it as I have not yet checked it out with more sources...

Traditionally the date of the writing of this book has generally been fixed at the year 96 A.D., in the reign of Domitian. Others contend for an earlier date, 68 or 69 A.D., in the reign of Nero. Those who are in favour of the later date appeal to the testimony of the Christian father Irenaeus (died 185 A.D.), who received information relative to this book from those who had seen John face to face. He says that the Apocalypse &#8220;was seen a long time ago.&#8221; Other evidence for the later date is internal: the book alludes to significant persecution, affecting the Christians of Asia Minor. This is a better historical fit for Domitian&#8217;s reign than Nero&#8217;s, Nero&#8217;s persecution was mostly confined to the territories around Rome, while Domitian&#8217;s persecution was indeed vigorously carried out in Asia Minor.

Patmos island, the island of the Apocalypse

But I am sure you have read similar info LLOJ...;)

patmos, history of island
try this^ it does have some more in depth references as to the name... but I am not sure what kind of connection you are thinking off.....

Upvote 0

Rebekah30

Apr 9, 2007
floating on Ceres
✟13,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw your thread earlier and have always just taken Patmos as we know it today.

You are looking for the meaning behind the word Patmos, I looked and can't find it. There must be though, if it can be found out, I don't know.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

also a dead end here :wave:

and just to add to the list, this link contains other possible names and a bit more of the history patmos, history of island

Based on mythology the island of Patmos got its name from the word Patnos, which comes from the incident when Poseidon stepped foot on the island. The historian and researcher Vahar, believes that the name Patmos originates from part of a Phoenician or Karik word, which means place with conifer trees.
etc ...

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I saw your thread earlier and have always just taken Patmos as we know it today.

You are looking for the meaning behind the word Patmos, I looked and can't find it. There must be though, if it can be found out, I don't know.
The first 3 letters could mean "father".
The closest I could come for "mos" was the word for "shoulder". Thanks for all replies so far

3962. pater pat-ayr' apparently a primary word; a "father" (literally or figuratively, near or more remote):--father, parent.
3968. patris pat-rece' from 3902; a father-land, i.e. native town; (figuratively) heavenly home:--(own) country.
3963. Pat-mos pat'-mos of uncertain derivation; Patmus, an islet in the Mediterranean:--Patmos

5606. omos o'-mos perhaps from the alternate of 5342; the shoulder (as that on which burdens are borne):--shoulder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rebekah30

Apr 9, 2007
floating on Ceres
✟13,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The closest I could come for "mos" was the word for "shoulder". Thanks for all replies so far

3962. pater pat-ayr' apparently a primary word; a "father" (literally or figuratively, near or more remote):--father, parent.
3968. patris pat-rece' from 3902; a father-land, i.e. native town; (figuratively) heavenly home:--(own) country.
3963. Pat-mos pat'-mos of uncertain derivation; Patmus, an islet in the Mediterranean:--Patmos

5606. omos o'-mos perhaps from the alternate of 5342; the shoulder (as that on which burdens are borne):--shoulder.
I don't know, we could go along these lines or like Thekla said a pagan origin. Although her link could be wrong in the exact pagan origin.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The closest I could come for "mos" was the word for "shoulder".

I think you're working too hard on this stuff, LLOJ, take a break, have a beer... :)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hmmm. The transliterated greek for shoulders has the letters "wm" reversed ehehe......

Matthew 23:4 "For They are binding burdens, weighty and ill-bearing. And they are on-placing upon the shoulders/wmouV <5606> of the men, to the yet finger of them, not are willing to move them".

patmw <3963>,

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
aFi_PunchSaddam.gif

I think we are "beating the text" to confess here....lol....

* I am sure you figure by now I am in a funny mood right?*.....I do not mean to be mallicious here :)

Upvote 0

Rebekah30

Apr 9, 2007
floating on Ceres
✟13,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you're working too hard on this stuff, LLOJ, take a break, have a beer... :)
Good idea :p
He has an inquisitive mind, I do too.
For me, when I want to know something I keep looking til I find it or a dead end.

Thankfully curosity didn't kill this cat yet.

Upvote 0