✟24,936.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."

So does that mean that I am from God and I can do anything?

Of course the Bible also says that "Thou shalt not kill." One has to remember that.

And what I actually think is that the conclusion is wrong and it isn't what the writer intended. It just means that if Jesus were not from God, he couldn't do anything. No conclusions needed.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
John 15:5. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
All things are possible with God, not all things available for us to choose are edifying or appropriate.
1 Co 6:12. All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.(also 1 Co 10:23)

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Of course the Bible also says that "Thou shalt not kill." One has to remember that.

And what I actually think is that the conclusion is wrong and it isn't what the writer intended. It just means that if Jesus were not from God, he couldn't do anything. No conclusions needed.
Your second sentence made no sense...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The verse talks about plant producing fruits.

Without abiding in Christ, we cannot bear the fruit of the Spirit, which is what we need to walk by the Spirit.
John 15 is not about those who have God's salvation supposedly losing it (although one expects to see fruit from genuine life in Christ); but abiding in the vine is indeed necessary for fruit to appear.

2 Peter 1.5-8:

"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Honestly, you don't make much sense.

After Jesus had performed miracles, there was a discussion between Pharisees and some others. Jesus' miracles testified in support of the claims He made about Himself. Thus, verse 33, "If this man were not from God, He could do nothing."

The passage is about Jesus, about who He was and what He was doing. It has nothing to do with you and with what you can and cannot do.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I mean to a person who has a messiah complex, that verse could be taken out of context like that.
That certainly wasn’t clear in the OP.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This verse is saying, we saw Jesus miracles, and because of them we are led to believe Jesus is from God, if he were not from God, he could not perform the miracles.

So does that mean that I am from God and I can do anything?..Of course the Bible also says that "Thou shalt not kill." One has to remember that.

It does not mean you can do anything morally that you want. It is not a moral statement, it is a statement talking about Jesus, and His miraculous power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luke631

Jun 6, 2019
New York
✟24,936.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This verse is saying, we saw Jesus miracles, and because of them we are led to believe Jesus is from God, if he were not from God, he could not perform the miracles.
But isn't it poorly chosen words then? It says if this man were not from God, he could do absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But isn't it poorly chosen words then? It says if this man were not from God, he could do absolutely nothing.
It’s inspired scripture. The Holy Spirit didn’t make a mistake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luke631

Jun 6, 2019
New York
✟24,936.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seeing as the healed blind man was already talking about His miracle, it would have just been redundant.
I think the original verse is still worse cos it has inspired people to kill people. They thought that they are from God and they can do anything, including kill people.

But again, in the Bible it says also that "Thou shalt not kill", so they were obviously in the wrong.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the original verse is still worse cos it has inspired people to kill people. They thought that they are from God and they can do anything, including kill people.

But again, in the Bible it says also that "Thou shalt not kill", so they were obviously in the wrong.
I think you are way off base.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0