John 3:16 and limited attonment.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Same as when it died? No, glorified. But is it the same body? Absolutely. It's a simple question really: Christ's tomb, occupied or empty?

The flesh conceived in Mary's womb is the flesh that was raised up Easter morning. The same with us. Romans 8:11

God's creation is not thrown away, it is restored, healed, and made new. Christ is risen.

-CryptoLutheran
You have missed something ViaCrucis about Christ versus believers in Christ.
Christ was not yet glorified as He had not yet ascended after the resurrection.
A glorified body is not the same body as flesh and blood body.

John 20:15-18New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”

She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!”

She turned and said to Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher).

17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’”

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.

This was most certainly more proof Jesus actually was raised from the dead, and circumstantially arraigned by God, however the disciple did not believe the women's testimony until they had seen for Christ alive themselves.

For believers, they, when they are raised, they are then glorified, as Christ was after Hie ascended back to the Father, with a glorified body, but with Christ there was a delay arranged by God to demonstrate infallible proof that He was raised from the dead, for 40 days until His ascension in Acts.
Acts 1

1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

BUT for believers when they die, they dont walk around 40 days exhibiting infallible proof of their resurrection, remaining on earth 40 days to teach others, they are caught up in the air and are CHANGED in a moment of time at that time.

1 Corinthians 15:52
in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1 Corinthians 15:44
It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
Most definitely not the same body is resurrected like your saying, not in the slightest.

However, I don't deny Christ could have ascended multiple times after His resurrection, with the last time recorded in Acts 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You have missed something ViaCrucis about Christ versus believers in Christ.
Christ was not yet glorified as He had not yet ascended after the resurrection.

Christ's body was glorified in the resurrection. Not the ascension.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Christ's body was glorified in the resurrection. Not the ascension.

-CryptoLutheran

It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Christ was glorified many different ways, including while He was walking on earth. Actually this is a continual ongoing glorification, people glorify Him, God glorifies Him.
John 11:4
When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

Then again here specifically says Christ was not yet glorified. After He returned to the Father saying when He went away, Jesus would send to His people the Holy Spirit, not leaving us orphaned.

Recall Pentecost?
John 7:39
But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This glorification must have occurred after He ascended and left the disciples.
He sent to them the Holy Spirit. this glorification did not occur at the resurrection, because even at the resurrection He had not sent to them the Holy Spirit, the Spirit was not yet given until Christ was glorified. And we read of Christ telling the disciples to wait for the Holy Spirit in Acts 1, and we read about the Spirit being poured out in Acts 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Yes, in the resurrection, the body is transformed; from being a soulish body (soma psuchekos) to being a Spiritual body (soma pneumatikos).

Christ was glorified many different ways, including while He was walking on earth. Actually this is a continual ongoing glorification, people glorify Him, God glorifies Him.
John 11:4
When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

Not what is meant. Christ died and was raised up in glory, and His resurrection sets the precident of our resurrection, as per 1 Corinthians 15:23

Then again here specifically says Christ was not yet glorified. After He returned to the Father saying when He went away, Jesus would send to His people the Holy Spirit, not leaving us orphaned.

Recall Pentecost?
John 7:39
But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This glorification must have occurred after He ascended and left the disciples.
He sent to them the Holy Spirit. this glorification did not occur at the resurrection, because even at the resurrection He had not sent to them the Holy Spirit, the Spirit was not yet given until Christ was glorified. And we read of Christ telling the disciples to wait for the Holy Spirit in Acts 1, and we read about the Spirit being poured out in Acts 2.

Jesus was not yet raised from the dead in John 7.

It seems interesting to me that the further pressed you are on these things the further afield you go from basic Christian orthodoxy.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So usually when a debate arises about Calvinism and/or limited attonment someone is sure to quote John 3:16 to refute Calvinisim. John 3:16 and limited attonment do not contradict each other, here's why.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. That whosoever beliveth on him shall not perish but eternal life.
God loves the world doesn't mean Christ died for every person in the world, because world doesn't always mean every person within it. World or kosmos in the Greek has more than one meaning, one of them is the believers only. Another is all nations of the world. If we use the word " world" as meaning everyone and apply it to other verses we see it has multible meanings. Examples- 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole WORLD lieth in wickedness.
Rev. 13:3 and I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and all the WORLD wondered after the beast.
Scripture tells us who Christ died for.
John 10:15 As the Father knoweth me I know the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Eph. 5:25 Husbands love your wives even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it.
Limited attonment isn't cruel and doesn't mean God is unloving but shows us how the work of Christ is unfailing and the maximum effect always.

Stay strong in Christ and have a blessed day.
So usually when a debate arises about Calvinism and/or limited attonment someone is sure to quote John 3:16 to refute Calvinisim. John 3:16 and limited attonment do not contradict each other, here's why.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. That whosoever beliveth on him shall not perish but eternal life.
God loves the world doesn't mean Christ died for every person in the world, because world doesn't always mean every person within it. World or kosmos in the Greek has more than one meaning, one of them is the believers only. Another is all nations of the world. If we use the word " world" as meaning everyone and apply it to other verses we see it has multible meanings. Examples- 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole WORLD lieth in wickedness.
Rev. 13:3 and I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and all the WORLD wondered after the beast.
Scripture tells us who Christ died for.
John 10:15 As the Father knoweth me I know the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Eph. 5:25 Husbands love your wives even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it.
Limited attonment isn't cruel and doesn't mean God is unloving but shows us how the work of Christ is unfailing and the maximum effect always.

Stay strong in Christ and have a blessed day.

Is this what you mean?

Calvinist_John_3_16.jpg

Upvote 0