1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

John 3:16-18

Discussion in 'Bibliology & Hermeneutics' started by HIM, Oct 9, 2021.

1. HIM

HIM Friend CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Once again wrong Greek word in the original so your point is not relevant

2. Religiot

Religiot Well-Known Member

+372
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I, on the contrary, accept as proof the meaning given to me by the Holy Spirit against all so called experts: please remember, the experts always get it wrong when it comes to God, always.

3. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Amen!
    I don't think it is always easy for us my friend though it should be. May the Lord have mercy on us all.

4. pescador

pescador Wise old man Supporter

+4,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Try reading my post and understanding what I wrote before commenting on it.

You have the original texts? You should announce that to the world, since nobody has ever found the original texts except you.

Again (and again and again and again) I believe the results of committees of qualified translators over self-appointed amateurs who lack the qualifications and training. They devote their lives to bringing us the most accurate translations.

5. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Reminds me of something given to me a while ago. " Once we realize we don't know anything then we can learn something"

6. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    And yet no real argument that speaks contrary to the OP.
    Incidentally you don't know me or of any qualifications I have.
    Papers on a wall, framed so all can see, look at me, look at me.

7. pescador

+4,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Whatever..

Does this also apply to yourself? Do you admit that you don't know anything about the principles of Bible translation?

8. pescador

+4,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Here is John 3:16-19 in the NET 2.1 (a great translation) with my emphases. Notice the difference between "in" and "into".

For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him. The one who believes in him is not condemned. The one who does not believe has been condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God. Now this is the basis for judging: that the light has come into the world and people loved the darkness rather than the light, because their deeds were evil."

Or perhaps you think this is better...

For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes into him will not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son in the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him. The one who believes into him is not condemned. The one who does not believe has been condemned already, because he has not believed into the name of the one and only Son of God. Now this is the basis for judging: that the light has come in the world and people loved the darkness rather than the light, because their deeds were evil."

believes into him; send his Son in the world; The one who believes into him; because he has not believed into the name of the one and only Son; the light has come in the world

Sounds illogical and bizarre...

I'm leaving this bizarre conversation. Read your Bible!

9. Freth

Freth Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,554
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    Who decides who is qualified and where does that authority to decide come from? Where did it originate?

Jesus wasn't there after the crucifixion. How did the apostles remember His teachings? John 14:26 tells us that the Holy Spirit taught them all things and gave remembrance. When they were preaching and writing their books, where did the inspiration come from? The book of Acts tells us that the apostles received directly from Jesus through the Holy Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 1:1-2, Acts of the Apostles 2:4).

Jesus Himself promises to give the Holy Spirit to anyone who asks.

Luke 11:9-13 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
    If we are a royal priesthood, each of us must be given discernment.

1 Peter 2:9-10 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  10. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes because contextually INTO fits with the rest of the Gospel John, For He is the vine and we are the branches. Without Him we can do nothing. Jo 15:5

We can't be a branch unless we are in and of the vine. We can't be of the vine unless we placed into it by our belief.

The prayer of a righteous man availeth much. So it is written...

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
    (Joh 17:20-23 KJV)

We can't be in Christ and God without first being place into by our faith. Take care.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  11. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The learned; Scribes, Pharisees, the High Priest, His council and Sadducees are the ones who refused Christ and His words and had Him crucified. These are they that the people looked up to and trusted.

12. Freth

+1,554
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    This is what I was pointing at, although I didn't come out and say it; when I said notice the absence of the word scholar (or Biblical equivalent).

13. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life

+6,200
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well we wouldn’t abide into Christ or remain into Christ. I have to agree with pescador. The use of “into” isn’t grammatically correct and the use of “in” doesn’t change the meaning of the message.

14. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I knew that Freth. I guess I should of said it before went on a rant lol. Sorry...

15. Freth

+1,554
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    I'm glad you said it.

16. HIM

+1,186
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No you are right we abide in Christ but first we have be place into Christ to Abide in Christ. Likewise We have to be placed into Christ to remain in Christ.

17. Freth

+1,554
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    This goes along with my previous post and the current debate over the word in vs into:

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

18. BNR32FAN

+6,200
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The words “in” in John 17 are a different Greek word than what is used in John 3:16-18 but I do agree with you about the grammatically incorrect use of the word “into” in John 3:16-18.

19. Religiot

Religiot Well-Known Member

+372
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have learned, with clarity, that the more I learn the more I realize how little I knew; and the more I learn the easier it becomes for me to learn more: that fact has always impressed me, it causes me to wonder at God, how He made us contrary to beasts, that is spiritually, for trained beasts can be seen to plateau in knowledge, and to be adversely affected by human training; but man, on the other hand, can be observed to grow in knowledge, exponentially, with the only discernible plateau being the result of the decay of death.

To reject knowledge is unnatural for man, infact, it is evil, and will ultimately result in rejection from God.

20. BNR32FAN

+6,200
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well I would definitely agree that we must be grafted into the vine and grammatically speaking that usage would be correct but I don’t see that as being the case in John 3:16-18. We’re dealing with a Greek to English translation and the goal is to translate it so that it is grammatically correct in the English language. The term “believes in Him” is not referring to a grafting into Him it’s referring to maintaining a current status or present state of belief in Him.