Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We can go further. Suppose election is not true. Suppose that eons ago God set up salvation on this system: Every person will have an equal ability to accept or reject Christ, who will die and be raised and be presented through the gospel message. The moment God determined to set up salvation on that system, he would’ve immediately known exactly which persons would be saved and which would be condemned on that basis. So the minute he “set it up,” he would be de facto electing some and passing over others. We come out to the same place. God could save all, but he doesn’t.

I understand your argument, but it is circular. If Election is true, then only those that God set up get to heaven, and the ones that He did not elect go to hell.

Very nice set-up. FOR THE ELECT! It doesn't do a bit of good for the unelect, though, does it?

On the other hand, if God gives us free will, He can love us all, and we can choose to love Him back. You do that by following Jesus' two commands; love God, love your neighbor. That's it. If anyone chooses to obey God, they get to heaven. Those who don't obey end up in hell.

So the difference is whether God gave us free will.
First of all, did God have free will? Yes He did, abundantly!

When God created humans, what did He say? “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

Now, if we are made in God's image, and God has free will, then it stands to reason that WE have that same free will, right?

If my understanding is faulty, tell me where I have made a mistake.

Rom 7:17: Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Not Eve's freewill but sin.

Oh. So how did sin make Eve listen to the Serpent? Before Adam sinned, there was NO sin in the world. Where did the sin come from? The Serpent (satan), who rebelled (by his free will) against God.

So, if we are but little lower than angels ourselves, why are we robots?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I understand your argument, but it is circular. If Election is true, then only those that God set up get to heaven, and the ones that He did not elect go to hell.

Very nice set-up. FOR THE ELECT! It doesn't do a bit of good for the unelect, though, does it?

On the other hand, if God gives us free will, He can love us all, and we can choose to love Him back. You do that by following Jesus' two commands; love God, love your neighbor. That's it. If anyone chooses to obey God, they get to heaven. Those who don't obey end up in hell.

So the difference is whether God gave us free will.

When God created humans, what did He say? “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

Now, if we are made in God's image, and God has free will, then it stands to reason that WE have that same free will, right?

If my understanding is faulty, tell me where I have made a mistake.

Oh. So how did sin make Eve listen to the Serpent? Before Adam sinned, there was NO sin in the world. Where did the sin come from? The Serpent (satan), who rebelled (by his free will) against God.

So, if we are but little lower than angels ourselves, why are we robots?

Do you mean to say that presence of freewill in all humans is a guarantee that all humans will choose Jesus Christ?

Before Adam sinned, there was NO sin in the world. Where did the sin come from? The Serpent (satan), who rebelled (by his free will) against God.

If satan caused Adam to violate the command as you seem to claim, what caused satan to violate the command of God?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Reading through Gospel of John 6 and immediately thought of predestination. I wouldn't classify myself as Calvinist and I accept I may have comprehension barriers others do not, (1 Corinthians 13:9-13 in my defense! :))

I do find its claims interesting to explore. John 6 was very striking in this regard, the whole predestination thing jumped out. What do you think? Will bold the most pertinent vereses...

JOHN 6:22-71

22 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but that his disciples were gone away alone;

23 (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks:)

24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.

25 And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?

26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.

42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

48 I am that bread of life.

49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.

50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

When you let these words speak for themselves, you end up a Calvinist. Or, should I say, you end up in agreement with Christ.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The same problem exists without Calvinism though

Yes!

If God created a world in which He knew before He created it, that most would voluntarily reject Him, as the "free willers" think, then the "problem of God saving some and not others is the same. Arminians don't get a free pass on this matter.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose the question comes down to this (for me anyway), do we always take each verse in the most pedestrian way possible, and out of its immediate context (as well out of the context of the rest of the Bible), or do we try to see if there might be something more to each of these verses than our presuppositions will allow for at first blush?

David, this is it. This is at the heart of the issue. People don't read their Bibles as carefully and thoughtfully as they the would read the Sunday paper. Taking verses out of context, and not looking for explanations for texts which seem to contradict 10 other texts, as in you example, is so common, one might say that 90% of the church acts in such a manner.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi MB, I'm not sure why God chose to involve us in evangelism, or why any of it, incl preaching, teaching, witnessing, hearing and believing, etc., is necessary, but it clearly is as we need to respond to the Gospel in faith to be saved (except for the infant/unborn children, the mentally infirmed, etc.). Again, Calvinism specifically teaches (along with the Bible) that "faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" .. Romans 10:17 cf John 5:24.

Yours and His,
David

Yes. Amen.

God's word created mankind, and His word, spoken through His messengers, is what re-creates us.

The proclamation of the gospel is used in re-creation. God does not save apart from His word. He does not "zap" us into the kingdom.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism implies that God actually wants one thing to happen but because of some undefined set of rules, something else happens... and God cant do anything about it.

Where have you gotten that idea? Calvinism believes just the opposite.

Upvote 0

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where have you gotten that idea? Calvinism believes just the opposite.

Because God wants everyone to come to Him...the Bible makes that very clear in several passages...and yet calvinists believe that countless people will end up in hell...separated from God for all eternity.
So somehow the universe that God has predestined and planned down to the smallest detail does not match with what he actually wants...

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Because God wants everyone to come to Him...the Bible makes that very clear in several passages...and yet calvinists believe that countless people will end up in hell...separated from God for all eternity.
So somehow the universe that God has predestined and planned down to the smallest detail does not match with what he actually wants...

God wants everyone to obey the 10 commandments, as well. . . God has two wills. One essentially is: what SHALL be, and the other is: what SHOULD be.

Let's see the passages in question, in order to discuss them. You might just be surprised at what you've overlooked or read into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

Is conditional election (CE) any different? In CE God knows beforehand who will believe in His Son. But still He goes ahead to create them that He knows will not believe! Does that match with what He wants?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes!

If God created a world in which He knew before He created it, that most would voluntarily reject Him, as the "free willers" think, then the "problem of God saving some and not others is the same. Arminians don't get a free pass on this matter.

You do not understand time being relative to God (time over the last 100 years has been experientially shown to be relative and nothing has shown time to not be relative). We have no problem believing God sees everyone at the same time and can process his reaction to it, but seeing everything at the same time throughout all of time is difficult.

In God’s time frame there is no “beforehand” as it relates to man it is all the present.

You might think about it like this: “if there is a prior time in God’s time frame, to deciding to not create a limited free willed person would also mean God would know all the possible choices that person could make, but not the free will choice the person did make, since they will never exist. As soon as God does decide to make a person that person is born, lives, makes free will choices dies and goes to heaven or hell in God’s same moment, so there is no turning back and redoing history, since the history of that person exists from the beginning of God deciding to make the person. God cannot change history.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you mean to say that presence of freewill in all humans is a guarantee that all humans will choose Jesus Christ?

I didn't say that! Because there IS free will, that means that some will choose to follow Jesus, and some will not.

If satan caused Adam to violate the command as you seem to claim, what caused satan to violate the command of God?

He also had free will. He CHOSE to rebel against God, saying "I will be like the Most High!"

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Jimmy, don't you know that God lives outside of Time? That is why He is called ETERNAL. Eternal means without time. That means that He can see the what we call the future and the past, but to Him, it is always NOW.

To create beings that He knows He will just throw into hell doesn't make a whole lot of sense viewed from that angle.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You do not understand time being relative to God (time over the last 100 years has been experientially shown to be relative and nothing has shown time to not be relative). We have no problem believing God sees everyone at the same time and can process his reaction to it, but seeing everything at the same time throughout all of time is difficult.

In God’s time frame there is no “beforehand” as it relates to man it is all the present.

You might think about it like this: “if there is a prior time in God’s time frame, to deciding to not create a limited free willed person would also mean God would know all the possible choices that person could make, but not the free will choice the person did make, since they will never exist. As soon as God does decide to make a person that person is born, lives, makes free will choices dies and goes to heaven or hell in God’s same moment, so there is no turning back and redoing history, since the history of that person exists from the beginning of God deciding to make the person. God cannot change history.

So, "chance" is sovereign.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God wants everyone to obey the 10 commandments, as well. . . God has two wills. One essentially is: what SHALL be, and the other is: what SHOULD be.

Sorry, Jimmy, but God has only given us TWO commandments. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

See? Just two. And there is nothing in there about any Sabbath service or observance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes thats a good example of what I mean... God wants everyone to obey the Ten Commandments and yet for some reason what God wills does NOT happen. Almost as if an overriding set of rules has prevented Him from creating the universe that he actually wants...

Upvote 0

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is conditional election (CE) any different? In CE God knows beforehand who will believe in His Son. But still He goes ahead to create them that He knows will not believe! Does that match with what He wants?

Well some Free Will advocates might say that God not always know what is going to happen (or perhaps I should say- chooses not to know)
This would explain verses like Genesis 6:6 where God expresses regret for making man...
But I probably disagree with that perspective...I actually tend more towards Calvinism (amongst other things- it matches perfectly with the scientific concept of quantum determinism)
My only objection with Calvinism/ predestination is the idea that the universe would end up in an imperfect state. I think that the idea of an eternal hell is incompatible with predestination theology. ie the ultimate state of the universe has to be exactly the universe that God wants it to be

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that! Because there IS free will, that means that some will choose to follow Jesus, and some will not.

He also had free will. He CHOSE to rebel against God, saying "I will be like the Most High!"

Because there IS free will, that means that some will choose to follow Jesus, and some will not.

Why do some choose to follow while others do not?

Is man's will free? Doesn't it need knowledge and assurance (faith) given by God to make a choice? Can man produce the required knowledge and assurance?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Well some Free Will advocates might say that God not always know what is going to happen (or perhaps I should say- chooses not to know)
This would explain verses like Genesis 6:6 where God expresses regret for making man...
But I probably disagree with that perspective...I actually tend more towards Calvinism (amongst other things- it matches perfectly with the scientific concept of quantum determinism)
My only objection with Calvinism/ predestination is the idea that the universe would end up in an imperfect state. I think that the idea of an eternal hell is incompatible with predestination theology. ie the ultimate state of the universe has to be exactly the universe that God wants it to be

I think the Bible talks about eternal hell. Do you believe in the Bible?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

God actually wants or desires to make His power known throughout the earth, but He has this timetable He sticks too for the sake of His kingdom, which He said would grow and grow and someday fill the earth.

There is no hope for the wicked unless He grants they repent.
Example, these 'brood of vipers' warned by John the baptist.
Matthew 3
7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, 9 and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 10 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Romans 9 for context, God endures with much longsuffering those destined for wrath, for the sake of those He destined for Glory, also refer to the parable of the wheat and the tares. God will not allow any of that which He plants as new creation in Christ to be lost. v16 tells us everyone's destiny is in the hands of God to do with as He pleases. This is due to sin and God's perfect hatred of it, something which we do not fully appreciate! But that sin caused ultimately the entire destruction of ages and will bring about the making of a new heaven and a new earth where they can exist no sin.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Upvote 0