USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When Christ says "behold thy son" - is there traditional agreement about whether he means "Mother, look at what's happening to your son, who won't be here to take care of you in the same way" or "Mother, here is your 'new' son, who will take care of you"?

Either way, the sense of the passage is the same, but I am wondering about what this part means.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When Christ says "behold thy son" - is there traditional agreement about whether he means "Mother, look at what's happening to your son, who won't be here to take care of you in the same way" or "Mother, here is your 'new' son, who will take care of you"?

Either way, the sense of the passage is the same, but I am wondering about what this part means.

Verse 27 makes it clear what Christ is talking about:

Joh 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Joh 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

The disciple would have a new mother, and she a new son.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Verse 27 makes it clear what Christ is talking about:

Joh 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Joh 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

The disciple would have a new mother, and she a new son.
Yes, I understand the overall sense of the passage. I just meant "what exactly does he mean in the first part?"

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I understand the overall sense of the passage. I just meant "what exactly does he mean in the first part?"

If he says the disciple has new mother then when he says "Woman, behold thy son!" it is the same thing reversed...the mother has a new son. Jesus is not saying, "Woman, behold me!"

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
However, more than simply ensuring Mary's temporal wellbeing, Jesus is entrusting us to His mother.

What part of the text supports that idea?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What part of the text supports that idea?
You have to remember we are not sola scriptura. Our interpretations come from how the Church has always understood various passages rather than having to prove over and over again using the text alone.

If the early Christians understood something in a certain way, it was passed down and we consider that the only legitimate way to interpret a particular passage.

(Not looking to argue with you, just pointing out that your question isn't the way we answer for interpretation.)

Such textual study can provide additional edifying insights - Scripture is rich and multi-layered and that is often possible (as long as it doesn't contradict what we know to be true). But it's not our only, or even our main approach.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You have to remember we are not sola scriptura. Our interpretations come from how the Church has always understood various passages rather than having to prove over and over again using the text alone.

If the early Christians understood something in a certain way, it was passed down and we consider that the only legitimate way to interpret a particular passage.

(Not looking to argue with you, just pointing out that your question isn't the way we answer for interpretation.)

I hear you...but I feel like I should express great concern that belief or tradition can be as important or more important that what scripture teaches. (or does not teach)

Contextually, Jesus only spoke of the one disciple to take Mary as his mother, not all Christians. If he wanted to express that, he would have but I respect why you believe as you do.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hear you...but I feel like I should express great concern that belief or tradition can be as important or more important that what scripture teaches. (or does not teach)

Contextually, Jesus only spoke of the one disciple to take Mary as his mother, not all Christians. If he wanted to express that, he would have but I respect why you believe as you do.
While I appreciate your concern coming from where you probably do - many of us would equally express concern over the tendency of modern Christians to divorce Scripture from its context. That's not even what Martin Luther intended by "sola scriptura". It is a practice only of the past couple of centuries.

This isn't the place where we could debate it. There's always St. Justin's which allows debate. :)

But as to the topic, yes, the Theotokos was regarded as mother in a sense to all Christians, because she was mother to Jesus. This indicates the importance of the Incarnation and of Christ Himself in the story of mankind's salvation. To forget those things would leave us poorer in appreciation and understanding.

God be with you. (And really, please feel free to continue the discussion in St. Justin's if you wish - just not here as I don't want to see anyone get in trouble :) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

just a thought to avoid a thread derail, but you could ask us too about the relationship between Scripture and tradition, especially since Scripture tells us to keep the tradition

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0