John 17 - The Prayer for Unity

Rate the importance of Ecumenism from 1 (very) to 5 (not at all)

Votes: 5 83.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
John 17
Jesus Prays for His Disciples
After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, ‘Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.

‘I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

‘I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

‘Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.’​

I have copied the whole of John 17 so that we have some context for the sustained prayer Jesus makes for our unity. For me, this in part is picked up in the first Note of the Church in the Creed of the 1st Council of Constantinople. (the 4 being: one, holy, catholic and apostolic)

I came to the forum, as a happy (eastern leaning) Anglican, confident in our strengths and failings, to a discussion in a wider context, where we might grow and learn together. Sadly, I would have to conclude that more than once (a day) I have seen contributions that are rude, divisive, unhelpful to how I would understand the cause of the Gospel, and failing to see what binds us together. I am sure that we do not all see the truth of the Gospel in the same light, but if one person sees more red in the fire of the Gospel Diamond and another sees more green, that does not mean that either of the is wrong.

I don't think Oecumenism is easy, (sometimes it is ), and looking at this site I think sometimes we could do better. A (non-christian friend of mine) says 'you will know they are christians by the way they rip one another's arms off'. I don't think that this is what Jesus was praying for.

It is probably realistic to say at the moment that organic unity for the moment is beyond us, and maybe not even what was intended. However we might ask, how important is our relationship with other Christians across denominational boundaries.

I also note that rather than all despair, their are also signs of great hope. There was a photo last year called by some 'Three Popes and a Patriarch' where Pope Francis (RCC) Pope Tawadros (OOC) Pope Theodore (EOC) and Patriarch Bartholomew (EOC) were all present for a service on the site of the Bombing of St Mark's in Cairo.

Popes-@-Cairo-5.jpg

This sight would have been impossible in generations past for I would think 1000 years, and yet in our own age there are signs of great hope.

The Work of the World Council of Churches was seen as hugely important when I was growing up, and often now it is seen as swallowed up in left wing politics, and really as a side show for many. I suspect that while the RCC stays out of it, it cannot go close to being able to speak for all Christians with one voice.

We live in a world where there are many challenges to the Gospel, including a rapidly growing missionary approach from Islam, The disaffection of young people in the western with institutions they regard is irrelevant of inauthentic. We in our various denominational groups are not each others enemies, though sometimes you would think we are.

So what does our unity mean and how important to us is it?

Last edited:

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't think Oecumenism is easy, (sometimes it is ), and looking at this site I think sometimes we could do better. A (non-christian friend of mine) says 'you will know they are christians by the way they rip one another's arms off'. I don't think that this is what Jesus was praying for.

It is probably realistic to say at the moment that organic unity for the moment is beyond us, and maybe not even what was intended. However we might ask, how important is our relationship with other Christians across denominational boundaries.

I also note that rather than all despair, their are also signs of great hope. There was a photo last year called by some 'Three Popes and a Patriarch' where Pope Francis (RCC) Pope Tawadros (OOC) Pope Theodore (EOC) and Patriarch Bartholomew (EOC) were all present for a service on the site of the Bombing of St Mark's in Cairo.
Tawadros-Francis-Bartholomew-web.jpg
This sight would have been impossible in generations past for I would think 1000 years, and yet in our own age there are signs of great hope.
I am much less optimistic than you are. Oh, I was, but that was 30 and 20 years ago. The cheese moved. We need unity for a proper witness to Jesus Christ, but I see little desire for it. I'm not against it, but I don't expect to see anything even out of the Eastern Orthodox/Catholic endeavors. I had hoped to see that in my lifetime, but I'm dubious now. I pray for it, but I expect nothing.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a rule, Catholics have a very specific definition of unity. And I must admit that I am no exception to that rule.

However, ecumenism is an inherently positive thing. The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification - Wikipedia wouldn't have been possible without ecumenism. The different sides talked to each other and discovered that maybe they're not as far separated as they originally thought.

Full, visible, corporate unity might not be possible right now. The doing of it will undoubtedly require divine intervention. But even if the only thing that gets settled is a better understanding of what the other side believes, it will still have been worth it.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The different sides talked to each other and discovered that maybe they're not as far separated as they originally thought.
There is a world of truth in this statement.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus prayed for unity.
God didn't answer?
Jesus didn't get His prayer answered?
We are one, we the church, the body of Christ
are one in Him!!!
WOOOOT
  • Jesus prayed for unity. - I think we have acknowledged that.
  • God didn't answer? - The statement does not sit comfortably with me.
  • Jesus didn't get His prayer answered? - Maybe that is our abuse of free will?
  • We are one, we the church, the body of Christ are one in Him!!! - Some outsiders might be excused for not recognising that.
  • WOOOOT - I am not sure if this is an acronym or simply an American term I an unfamiliar with, however I am not in a position to comment n that.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Jesus prayed for unity. - I think we have acknowledged that.
  • God didn't answer? - The statement does not sit comfortably with me.
  • Jesus didn't get His prayer answered? - Maybe that is our abuse of free will?
  • We are one, we the church, the body of Christ are one in Him!!! - Some outsiders might be excused for not recognising that.
  • WOOOOT - I am not sure if this is an acronym or simply an American term I an unfamiliar with, however I am not in a position to comment n that.
Well that's because they're thinking of the church, as "those who attend the various
churches", when in reality, wide is the gate, broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is that road, and narrow the gate that leads to life and only a FEW find it.

We agreed that Jesus prayed for unity
We agree that God answered Him.
We agree He got His prayer answered..
So there ya go.

I know many people who call themselves a brother.
Like these ones:
I was not including the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you not to associate with anyone who claims to be a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a verbal abuser, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.12What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?…

Not only do we excuse much of the above, as "a disease" or as something God
put on us, or we're born with or it's Just fine to ... but some churches have gay
pastors in the pulpit lol.
So when He refers to "us" "them" "we" maybe He refers to those who
have died and risen with HIm.

So there are those who are born again, who have the mind of Christ,
which would mean we all have the same mind.
Those who can no longer practice sin because God's seed
abides in them/us:

The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the very start. This is why the Son of God was revealed, to destroy the works of the devil. 9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin,because God’s seed abides in him; he cannotgo on sinning, because he has been born ofGod. 10By this the children of God and the children of the devil can be distinguished: Anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is anyone who does not love his brother.…

Not all that glitters is gold.

Upvote 0