Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟53,491.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, we have to look at the context. What is Christ doing? He is praying!

John 17: 1 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: 2 "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Yes we will have enternal life if we believe. But this doesn't mean that's all we need. Jesus tells us to do what he says. Later, we see we must also be baptized:

Mark 16:16 - Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does
not believe will be condemned.

Think about it, to those who don't believe will not have eternal life. Those who do, do believe, but also follow the commandments Christ gave.

Snowy said:
John 17:3
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

We will have eternal life if we believe?

Upvote 0

Snowy

Jesus, You're all this heart is living for.
Jul 16, 2003
✟30,502.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
drdeancrosby said:
John 17:3.This mentions one part of the salvation requirement.But you can't ignore other verses.In John 3:3-9 Jesus states that both the water baptism and the baptism of the Holy Spirit (received only through prayer) are requirements for salvation. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 lists sins that will send people to hell unless they are stopped and repented for.(asking God for forgiveness)

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Snowy said:
John 17:3
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

We will have eternal life if we believe?

Hi there!

:wave:

Here's a fact. Everyone is going to be somewhere eternally. For the believer that will "know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent", eternity will be spent in the presence of God.

For the rest, eternity will be spent outside the presence of God.

The difference is, being in the presence of God is termed "eternal life", and being outside heaven or the presence of God is termed "eternal damnation" or eternal hell"

~malaka~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.