John 15:5. "Without me you can do nothing" *but* 'neither need you do *everything* with Me'

God will..

• ...thank me for doing everything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...thank me for doing a lot of things

• ...be pleased with me for doing somethings

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ...be more pleased with me doing enough

• ...be blessed that I master what I do

• ...be most blessed that I master what He has asked me to whatever that may be

• ...create more for me to do, when I get to Heaven

• ...create people to work with me when I do what I know to do in Heaven

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I thought this was a neat angle, on something Jesus said - something which is hard to learn: that is, Jesus said
Jesus Christ said:
I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing.
(the emphasis being on "apart from Me you can do nothing")

This seems daunting, at first, because there is a lot we would like to be able to do, without Jesus, or at least without respect to Jesus, whatever it is we want to do. But the point can be made with a simple contrast, namely: "apart from Me you can do nothing, but (more to the point) you need not do everything, if you have Me". The lesson here is simple, God calls us to a life of humility, not perdition. Though one can be mistaken for the other, more often than not, with practice it comes to be easy to see that there is a far less asked than is actually done, at least to begin with.

You may think "if I was a Christian, I wouldn't be the hypocrite that Christians are" but then you become a Christian and you start to think "why do I want to do so much - even more than I say I want to do" - the reason is clear you are presuming doing something to be the same as doing everything: that is not the case. The truth is if with Jesus you can do something, then with the Holy Spirit you are able to "add to the something you can already do" - not in exception to it, but in addition and extension to what Jesus makes possible. That is the point, unless you are de facto doing the work, what you are talking about is "possibility".

If you are a master of possibility - as all Christians in Spirit are - you are a master of the awareness of when what you have is because you asked for it, and when what you have is because you wanted to ask for it but you never really knew why: you never really knew why because in principle you were under the influence of an anti-Christ, while in the world and you were faced with leaving it that way, when you came to the faith (not because you were evil, but because evil does not deserve the attention of the faith, once faith has been established - I am giving it attention here, but only to prove that you need not fear, what "doing everything" implies). It is possible to be a Christian, and know "this is a work of the Lord".

If you can understand this, you can avoid the snare of the world altogether! The world thinks believing something means becoming a slave to it, doing what it asks of you, no matter what it is - don't think that way! It may be a struggle at first, but the voice of the Holy Spirit only gets "calmer" - you can trust what He says. The time will come when you will laugh at how much you thought you would have to do to keep God happy, it's not far off from now in fact. The point you will remember will be "doing something for God is wise, but not attempting to do everything is equally wise".

Gottservant said:
Doing something for God is wise, but not attempting to do everything is equally wise (selah)

I hope this reaches you, in the faith in which the Holy Spirit inspired it, that you grow from it and learn to practice patience in it, for the good of the work that the Lord Jesus Christ does. In Jesus's Name Amen.

Remember what Jesus said "Mary has chosen that good part and it will not be taken from her" (Luke 10:41)

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
What parent isn't pleased when their child accomplishes some new task ...

Fair point.

But what parent commends a child for what they have not done? There is a slight possibility there, that God will not be completely pleased. Hence the choice.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair point.

But what parent commends a child for what they have not done? There is a slight possibility there, that God will not be completely pleased. Hence the choice.
God is pleased that we are His child. All other pleasures are a bonus ...

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So I thought this was a neat angle, on something Jesus said - something which is hard to learn: that is, Jesus said (the emphasis being on "apart from Me you can do nothing")

This seems daunting, at first, because there is a lot we would like to be able to do, without Jesus, or at least without respect to Jesus, whatever it is we want to do. But the point can be made with a simple contrast, namely: "apart from Me you can do nothing, but (more to the point) you need not do everything, if you have Me". The lesson here is simple, God calls us to a life of humility, not perdition. Though one can be mistaken for the other, more often than not, with practice it comes to be easy to see that there is a far less asked than is actually done, at least to begin with.

You may think "if I was a Christian, I wouldn't be the hypocrite that Christians are" but then you become a Christian and you start to think "why do I want to do so much - even more than I say I want to do" - the reason is clear you are presuming doing something to be the same as doing everything: that is not the case. The truth is if with Jesus you can do something, then with the Holy Spirit you are able to "add to the something you can already do" - not in exception to it, but in addition and extension to what Jesus makes possible. That is the point, unless you are de facto doing the work, what you are talking about is "possibility".

If you are a master of possibility - as all Christians in Spirit are - you are a master of the awareness of when what you have is because you asked for it, and when what you have is because you wanted to ask for it but you never really knew why: you never really knew why because in principle you were under the influence of an anti-Christ, while in the world and you were faced with leaving it that way, when you came to the faith (not because you were evil, but because evil does not deserve the attention of the faith, once faith has been established - I am giving it attention here, but only to prove that you need not fear, what "doing everything" implies). It is possible to be a Christian, and know "this is a work of the Lord".

If you can understand this, you can avoid the snare of the world altogether! The world thinks believing something means becoming a slave to it, doing what it asks of you, no matter what it is - don't think that way! It may be a struggle at first, but the voice of the Holy Spirit only gets "calmer" - you can trust what He says. The time will come when you will laugh at how much you thought you would have to do to keep God happy, it's not far off from now in fact. The point you will remember will be "doing something for God is wise, but not attempting to do everything is equally wise".

I hope this reaches you, in the faith in which the Holy Spirit inspired it, that you grow from it and learn to practice patience in it, for the good of the work that the Lord Jesus Christ does. In Jesus's Name Amen.

Remember what Jesus said "Mary has chosen that good part and it will not be taken from her" (Luke 10:41)
We love God because He first loved us. That love is the goal; it's man's perfection, his transformation into God's own image. Our justification is the beginning of that journey that we're to embark on in the here and now and if were not on it, loving God and neighbor and growing in it overall, with all that implies, then we're not one of His, we're not children of the light. Love is both a gift of God and a human choice, daily

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
"Even one work, with faith, is better than all the works, without faith (selah)"

One work is not by faith, as, the work of God is faith...

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Hanson: "loving God and neighbor and growing in it overall, with all that implies, then we're not one of His, we're not children of the light. Love is both a gift of God and a human choice, daily"

Why speak our own words, and not like the verses that speak better?

1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
If you read 1 Cor. 13:1-3 what ever you do without Godly Love is worthless. God's Love is to comple us to do all we do.

Is talking love..

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums