John 15:2, exactly what does Jesus mean?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
... every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.
— John 15:2

In what way are we to experience this? Exactly what does Jesus mean?
If the Lord sees evidence of your desire to bear fruit for His Name, He will also see issues
in your life that need to be addressed, so that you can bear more fruit. This pruning may leave
a few scars, at least from my experience, but is always worth it. This is what Peter
is addressing several times in his first epistle, with the theme of suffering for goodness sake,
for
Christ's sake, for the sake of righteousness.
2 Peter 4:
Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind,
for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
2 that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for
the will of God.

Reactions: Marc Munday
Upvote 0

Marc Munday

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
✟8,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you abide in his teachings/word you will produce good fruit if you do not you will make excuses for selfishness, one he rewards the other will be discarded and burnt up.

Also the good fruit can be people who you guide to repentance then they are pruned to go forth and do his works as a branch them selves, so you can both focus on helping others seek the Lord.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Imagine yourself as a grape vine producing some fruit. Father God prunes away the dead wood in your life and nips out those little sucker shoots that steal sap and cause your fruit bearing to be inadequate.Since He wants you to bountifully bear much fruit, He will cut things and sometimes people out of your life that is stunting your growth.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly you are doing something you think is for the Lord, but you are getting worn out, burnt out, arguing, fighting and forcing it to happen, not obeying Jesus in His "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:29) . . . not having joy.

So, pruning can mean God cuts that off from you, and then you pray and find out what He really wants you to do.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

It may be relevant that it could have been translated, "props up" rather than "prunes". I don't see that in the word translated "prunes", but that is what my father said, (a Greek Master, Greek reference book writer). Maybe he was drawing off a different text —I don't know— but it is curious.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Pruning removes dead and dying branches and stubs, allowing room for new growth

Sanctification is the pruning process.

process of being freed from sin or purified over the course of one's earthly lifetime.

2 Thessalonians 2:13
But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Adversity and trials are ways of pruning. They strengthen our faith and at other times they are used to "rein us in" from time to time when needed.
Also it is always the Holy Spirit at work in us teaching us and reminding us applicable teachings to everyday life.
Pruning I believe can be thought of as a grooming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Easy, the act of pruning a tree or vine makes it stronger, so it bears more fruit. It about cleansing those in Christ must go through in Him.

Rev 3:19
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
KJV

If one of His messes up, He chastises them, otherwise it means they don't belong to Him. Just like a good parent that loves their child in error, they will chasten the child because they want the child to know right from wrong, so the child can prosper in The Lord. Thus we are going to go through trials and tribulations in this life, and it doesn't mean The Lord doesn't love us; He expects us to be strong in Him, and He promised to never put upon us more than we are able to bear.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0