United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
John 14

2 In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.

What is Jesus doing in heaven to prepare a place for us?

As always, please provide scripture you believe to support your answer(s) whenever possible.

God Bless all.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about the word “prepare” don’t you understand?

Jesus is getting heaven ready for us, that is all we know. The scriptures don’t describe how.

"What about the word “prepare” don’t you understand?" Uncalled for statement - contemptuous at best

The scriptures don’t describe how. ok

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
2Co 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2Co 5:2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
2Co 5:3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
2Co 5:4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

Here our human body is likened to a "house" and our spiritual body of the resurrection as a "building of God" which originates from heaven.

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
1Pe 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

Again, something awaits us in heaven. Is it not the new glorified body given in a heavenly resurrection?

If scripture interprets scripture then I submit:

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Though Jesus was a carpenter's son, I do not believe he is literally speaking of building a house in heaven for us but this being a reference to what 2 Corinthians 5:1 touches upon, a new body.

• Informative
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me its like the old Jewish wedding. Well they father son would pay a price for her. He would then go back to his fathers house to make them a place to live. She stayed behind to get ready and also had no clue when he was coming back for her. Then about a year later he would come back with some friends mostly at night and when he got close would make some loud noise so she knew he was coming..

He then takes her back to his fathers house for about a week. Now not in the word but.. what are the oods. Not sure what your asking.. well I go to prepare a place for you so where I am you will be also.. very clear to me.. He is making me a place to live. And when we read out BRIDE and things like this.. then I find this old jewish wedding..

For me.. I am not looking for some mansion.. never have.. I dont care.. not why I am in this.. I will take what ever He gives but.. I was once lost.. not found.. holy JESUS...this gift alone.. is more then I would have hoped dreamed of. Every moment I am given a new breath.. WOW....to finally see Him.. as He is.. to have him hold you and never let go.. never..NEVER! At His feet.. I can ask for nothing more.. yet.. He made ALL for us and its ALL ours.. WOW

• Winner
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He is making me a place to live.

And we shall LIVE in an eternal body :)

We don't live in heaven for eternity but on the Earth and the Father and Son will live there with us so it is something in heaven he is preparing but it doesn't remain in heaven.

Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but only for those with a heavenly calling. The earth will remain forever and the resurrected and those that survive the foretold tribulation-deemed righteous-will remain on earth. Psalms 115:16; Isaiah 45:18; Proverbs 2:21, 22; 10:30; John 10:16; Revelation 7:13-18

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In John 13 and 14, Christ is talking to the 12 only and, therefore, everything He said applied only to the 12. It is absurd to think otherwise. Christ is talking about the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of the New Heavens and attaches to the New Earth. The NJ is not Heaven. It will be the abode of the 12 and the other Israel elite. The only Gentiles in the NJ will be those from the Acts church, all of which were part of Israel, since they were all grafted into Israel. The NJ even has a gate for each tribe to go in and out of. There are no Gentile gates.

A main reason there are 40,000 denominations (supposedly) in the world is because we are falsely taught in the denominational churches that everything given in the Bible is ours to claim, whether it was given to us or not. So, therefore, there are 1000s of things to pick and choose from that were never given to you. Some were given only to Israel and some were only given to Gentiles in Acts. Since they were never given to you, you'll never get them anyway. Different churches pick and choose a different assortment of these things they'll never get. Thus, there are 40,000 denominations, every one of which is wrong.

Miles Coverdale's (1488-1569) famous quote is still one of the best guides for the interpretation of scripture.
“It shall greatly help ye to understand the Scriptures if thou mark not only what is spoken or written, but of whom and to whom, with what words, at what time, where, to what intent, with what circumstances, considering what goeth before and what followeth after (context). ”

All of these will help determine whether, or not, the passage is TO or ABOUT you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
John 14

2 In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.

As always, please provide scripture you believe to support your answer(s) whenever possible.

God Bless all.

In Jewish weddings, after the couple was betrothed, the man would return to his father's house to prepare a place for his betrothed. In other words, he would build an addition onto his father's house and only the father knew the day or the hour when they were done and it was time for his son to return for his bride.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In Jewish weddings, after the couple was betrothed, the man would return to his father's house to prepare a place for his betrothed. In other words, he would build an addition onto his father's house and only the father knew the day or the hour when they were done and it was time for his son to return for his bride.

I'm thinking it is Him being our High Priest and interceding for us, getting ready to receive us upon His return.

But you are correct, as Christ does liken himself as a husband to the church (the saved), refers to her as the bride etc. so that analogy fits as well. Thanks for the historical info. interesting.

Hebrews 7

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking it is Him being our High Priest and interceding for us, getting ready to receive us upon His return.

But you are correct, as Christ does liken himself as a husband to the church (the saved), refers to her as the bride etc. so that analogy fits as well. Thanks for the historical info. interesting.

Hebrews 7

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

I would recommend looking up some articles or videos about parallels between Jewish wedding customs and what is spoken about in the Bible.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Hebrews 7

Where does Christ refer to the church as the bride? It doesn't. The New Jerusalem (its occupants) is referred to as the bride in Rev. The NJ will NOT contain today's church. The Bride is all-Israel, except for those Gentiles on Acts who were grafted into Israel. There's a gate for each tribe to enter and leave from and there are no Gentile gates.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where does Christ refer to the church as the bride? It doesn't. The New Jerusalem (its occupants) is referred to as the bride in Rev. The NJ will NOT contain today's church. The Bride is all-Israel, except for those Gentiles on Acts who were grafted into Israel. There's a gate for each tribe to enter and leave from and there are no Gentile gates.

The church are the called out ones ... they are all the believers in Christ ... we are all the same in Christ Jesus ... so all the believers are His Israel/His church.

Galatians 3:28

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The church are the called out ones ... they are all the believers in Christ ... we are all the same in Christ Jesus ... so all the believers are His Israel/His church.

Galatians 3:28

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

That was true during Acts, when everyone, including the saved Gentiles, who were grafted into Israel, were part of Israel's program. In Acts of the Apostles 28:25-28, about 64AD, Israel was set aside by God, through the mouth of Paul pronouncing the curse of Isa 6:9-10 for the 7th and last time, vs 25-27, and passing the Salvation of God (Jesus Christ) to the Gentiles, Acts of the Apostles 28:28. They have ceased to be a nation in God's eyes ever since. Also, at that time, everything associated with Israel was postponed - the Acts church, the rapture, the second Coming, the Gifts, the Kingdom, the tribulation, you name it. Israel will most likely be back on the scene in about 2064 and prophecy will once more be fulfilled.

After Acts, Paul received a special revelation from Christ, Ephesians 3:3, to set up a new, all-Gentile church, contained in a mystery which had been hid in God since the word began, Ephesians 3:9, Colossians 1:26, and which can be found ONLY in Paul's 7 post-Acts epistles. In those 7 books, no Jew is ever addressed or is spoken of as being involved in the present Church. Everything is addressed to Gentiles. Today's Gentile church are the only people in the Bible to have a Hope of spending eternity in the Heavenly Places, Ephesians 2:6, Far above all Heavens, Ephesians 4:10, God's abode, where Christ sits at the right hand of God, Ephesians 1:20. This Church is Christ's actual Body, Ephesians 5:30, where Christ is the Head. Therefore, since we are THE Body of Christ, and Christ is the bridegroom, is is impossible for us to be the Bride. The Jewish Church in Acts, which WILL make up part of the Bride, is non-existent today.

The body in 1Cor 12 was a body of believers that made up the figure of a man composed of the Gifts distribution. It was never called a church. The only church during Acts was the Church of God, which doesn't now exist.

The Jews today are treated by God as Gentiles. To get saved, they must believe in Christ as Savior. Just believing in Him as their Messiah won't work at the present time.

In Acts it was a 100% Jewish program. After Acts it is a 100% Gentile program. In both, the Gentiles and Jews in the church have an equality. But, the 2 churches are totally different, with totally different Callings, Hopes, and Futures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where does Christ refer to the church as the bride? It doesn't.

The church is the bride of Christ.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

New Jerusalem is used as a metaphor for it's inhabitants. Christians are the bride:

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Explicitly explained that the church is the bride Christ will marry.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense...never having been violated by another person namely Satan.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman, Babylon also called a city, can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ can also represent a group of saved people and can be represented as a city, New Jersalem as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The church is the bride of Christ.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

New Jerusalem is used as a metaphor for it's inhabitants. Christians are the bride:

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Explicitly explained that the church is the bride Christ will marry.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Spoken to Christians, the church, being presented as Virgins in a spiritual sense...never having been violated by another person namely Satan.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev_17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

If a woman, Babylon also called a city, can represent a group of unsaved people then certainly the bride of Christ can also represent a group of saved people and can be represented as a city, New Jersalem as well.

The Acts Church, which is now temporarily defunct, is part of the Bride.
Today's post-Acts church is NOT part of the Bride. It is not the Groom, either, but since it is literally Christ's Body, it will be where Christ, the Head, is.

In Ephesians, Paul is comparing Christ's love for the church with the way a man should love his wife. Nothing is said about the church being the Bride of Christ. It would be impossible anyway, since the Hope of the church in Ephesians is NOT the New Jerusalem. Its Hope is to be resurrected in Heavenly Places, Ephesians 2:6, Far Above All (starry) Heavens, Ephesians 4:10, where Christ sits at the right hand of God, Ephesians 1:20. This church in Ephesians is made up of today's Gentiles plus Jews who believe in Christ as their Savior, not just their Messiah.

I've never used the CEB Bible, but they sure nailed Eph 5:31-33 perfectly:
31 This is why a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and the two of them will be one body.
32 Marriage is a significant allegory, and I’m applying it to Christ and the church.
33 In any case, as for you individually, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and wives should respect their husbands.

Rom and Cor were written to the Acts Church, only, which was composed of Jews and Gentiles who were part of Israel, since they were grafted into Israel. Those in this all-Israel Acts church, both Jews and Gentiles, had a Hope of the New Jerusalem and will be part of the Bride. The only Gentiles in the New Jerusalem will be those grafted into Israel during Acts. Each tribe has their own gate in the NJ. There are no Gentile gates. The NJ isn't the same as the uncreated Heavenly Places. The NJ comes out of the created New Heavens and settles on the Earth, It certainly isn't Heavenly Places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Acts Church, which is now temporarily defunct, is part of the Bride.
Today's post-Acts church is NOT part of the Bride.

There's only one church and one body of Christ. It is composed of Jews and Gentiles that accepted Christ.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's only one church and one body of Christ. It is composed of Jews and Gentiles that accepted Christ.
That is true, but only about the Church which is the Body of Christ, where Christ is the Head, found ONLY in Paul's post-Acts books. It has nothing to do with the "body" in 1Cor 12.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is true, but only about the Church which is the Body of Christ, where Christ is the Head, found ONLY in Paul's post-Acts books. It has nothing to do with the "body" in 1Cor 12.

No, it's the same body there or anywhere. The church in Acts is the same church found in any Nt scripture. The idea that there are somehow two different churches is false.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 14

God Bless all.

Acts 26:17

I shall deliver you from this people and from the Gentiles to whom I send you, to open their eyes that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God

I agree with those who notice that Jesus is talking to His Church, the Twelve Apostles, rather than to individual believers. I think Jesus is talking about His Second Coming in John 14. In Jesus' prayer to The Father, in John 17, Jesus asks His Father, for Him to be united with His Church on earth, and His Church protected from 'The evil one'. Jesus asks that, "so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us"

When God brought His Presence to reside with Israel in the desert, God considered this His Marriage to Israel. In John 17, Jesus is asking for His Church's hand in marriage, on earth. Jesus wants to bring His Presence into His Church as the Father brought His Presence into a stone temple in Jerusalem.

Jesus says, "I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one." In Jesus', 'The Lord's Prayer', we are praying for God to deliver us from the 'evil one'. If Jesus simply pulls His Church from earth and puts them in heaven, then who is left on earth to build up Jesus' Church with converts?

Upon the Second Coming of Jesus, Jesus will Rule the world. With Jesus, a descendant of king David, Ruling the world, Israel is Restored. Jesus will Rule with and through His Church. The New Jerusalem, in Revelation 19, is the Bride of the Lamb, Christ's Church on earth, with Jesus', as the Lamp, with His Presence, having Come to reside within His Church (in a new and spectacular way), to guide the nations of the earth, to God.

In John 14:2, Jesus is talking about bringing His Presence to earth, in the Second Coming, so that His Church can be with Him. Rather than Jesus taking His Faithful to heaven, to be in His Presence. In other words, Jesus is talking about, 'The Wedding Day of the Lamb', which happens upon Jesus' Second Coming. There are rooms for everyone who is prepared for the Wedding Day of the Lamb, and they will live in Christ's Kingdom Come, on earth.

Concept quoted from:
Jesus is Getting Married

John 17 Prayer of Jesus.
When Jesus had said this, he raised his eyes to heaven and said, 'Father, the hour has come. Give glory to your son, so that your son may glorify you, just as you gave him authority over all people, so that he may give eternal life to all you gave him. Now this is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ. I glorified you on earth by accomplishing the work that you gave me to do. Now glorify me, Father, with you, with the glory that I had with you before the world began.

I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you gave me is from you, because the words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for the ones you have given me, because they are yours, and everything of mine is yours and everything of yours is mine, and I have been glorified in them. And now I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are. When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you. I speak this in the world so that they may share my joy completely. I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.

I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.

Revelation 19:6
The Lord has established his reign, (our) God, the almighty. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory. For the wedding day of the Lamb has come, his bride has made herself ready. She was allowed to wear a bright, clean linen garment.

Revelation 21:9 The New Jerusalem.
"Come, I will show you the woman who is the bride of the Lamb." He carried me away in spirit to the top of a very high mountain and showed me the holy city of Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It gleamed with the splendor of God.

Upvote 0