Not open for further replies.

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
John 13:12-17

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

What does this mean to you?

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ gives His disciples and us an example of servant leadership.

Cultural context:
The washing of the feet was a common practice in that day before eating a meal. Reason being that most people wore sandals and their feet would get quite dirty. The task of washing feet always fell to the lowest servant. It was unthinkable to the disciples that Jesus, who was their teacher and Lord, to wash their feet. Therefore this is a wonderful example of leading through service.

Some denominations, like the one I grew up in, take this literally and actually partake in foot washings every now and then. Nothing wrong with this as long as the meaning of the passage is not lost.

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The cultural context that Knight mentioned in my opinion is related to the deeper meaning.

As we walk through life, we get dirty, we sin. Just as our Master did everything to make us clean, we should uplift our brethren who are trapped in sin:

(Gal 6:1-2) Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. {2} Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting.

I still think the base meaning of the passage is servant leadership.

However, if we back up a couple of verses I think we see something more like what you are talking about.

John 13:10-11 (NASB)
10 Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
11 For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."
We (Christians) are already clean, having been washed by the blood of Christ. However, because of our sin nature, we still need to get our feet washed by living in repentance.

This is a deep, profound passage.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
This is a deep, profound passage.

It is very deep indeed. Many do not realize the significance of this act that Jesus did for the disciples and the example that He set in doing it to them.

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

It is a very humbling exercise to wash someone else's feet.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Are you asserting that this specific practice should be done by Christians today?
Jesus gave us this example and told His followers to do it, so yes I am saying that we should do it.

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

It the same as most things important, they have been high-jacked by tradition and left by the side of the road.

Upvote 0

tetelestai

my sins are paid in full
Nov 22, 2003
South Dakota
✟248.00
Faith
Christian
but is the only area in which we are to be servants in washing the feet? i think when we make it only about washing eachothers feet, we leave out the greater implications. if i dont wash your feet, but i am constantly in service to you and my other bretheren in Christ, am i not following the spirit of Christs act?

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Where is the example of the NT church doing this?
It's no doubt that they served each other. This is plainly seen in Acts.
It does not say to my knowledge that they did this but they did break bread often. In doing so they would have followed what Jesus said to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, as per the custom of the day they would have washed their feet prior to eating. It's probably a safe assumption that they traded this task around. Demonstrating service to one another. They also served each other in many other ways.

How is it that the specific practice of washing feet is applicable today?

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul even expounds on this, he description in Ephesians 5:21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ. stands as one of the best descriptors of what Christ was saying directly after the washing of the feet. I have been considering teaching on this in Sunday school and having my youth group wash each others feet. I have done it before and it is a humbling experience and really opens up Ephesians 5:21 and quite a few other verses with a new understanding.

Upvote 0

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
Symes said:
John 13:12-17

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

What does this mean to you?
This shows that we are to always humble ourselves and serve others, we are supposed to care for other people needs and wants before ours.
It also shows that no matter how "great" we are as a Christians we always need to serve others because Jesus himself did it, and if He who is the greatest humbled himself to do it how much more we, servants, should also humble ourselves. This means putting others before us.

In other words:

"This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you."

This means love others more than you love yourself.

Upvote 0

deu58

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟11,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hello symes

Foot washing is a common practice in the SDA denomination and it does have its merits. At SDA camp meetings here in the Philippines I have participated in the footwashing ceremonies myself. At least here, one of the requirements for foot washing is you must select a stranger. you do not wash your wife/relative/close friends feet and yes it is a humbling experience.

yours in Christ
deu58

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Foot washing is a common practice in the SDA denomination and it does have its merits. At SDA camp meetings here in the Philippines I have participated in the footwashing ceremonies myself. At least here, one of the requirements for foot washing is you must select a stranger. you do not wash your wife/relative/close friends feet and yes it is a humbling experience.

yours in Christ
deu58
I am glad that you have participated in such a service and can see what a benifit it can be.

I like to wash my son's feet as I feel that it gives us a special bond that only fathers and sons can have.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.