Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Verse 3 merely describes the Logos' role in creation, it doesn't tell us when v.1 takes place. If we are going to "not read into the text" then why read into the text.
I wrote, "So the "beginning" goes at least as far back as creation." That is not reading into the text, but a fact. The "logos", however, goes much farther back than creation.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I agree with some points in this article.

What does it mean to you that God created "through Messiah"?

Assumption. This is reading the Son into the text.

:oldthumbsup:

Based on my personal conversations with the author of the article, the world being created through Messiah Yeshua means this:

God created the Light on day 1. This Light is not the physical light. Physical light emanates from the sun and other heat-expelling physical bodies, created on day 4. The Light is a name for Yeshua. In all subsequent creations, Yeshua had some involvement, and in that sense they were made through him. (It appears Bryan was referring to creatures and plants and such, and not basic physical phenomena like time and space which had already been created before the Light.)

God would create 90% of any given creation, and then Yeshua would decorate the things, adding little touches. For example maybe Yeshua created eyelashes, but he didn't create eyes. This is similar to the Jews creating "crowns" for certain letters, thus decorating the creation.

"Assumption. This is reading the Son into the text."

I think it is an obviously correct assumption, proven correct by scripture and targumim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I wrote, "So the "beginning" goes at least as far back as creation." That is not reading into the text, but a fact. The "logos", however, goes much farther back than creation.

The beginning in v.1 and the things described in v.3 can be connected if you want, but there is no grammatical necessity to do so I think.

If you look at the text, you will see nothing is happening. The beginning is a purely rhetorical device, like in in John 8:44 or when one is referring to the beginning of a movie.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Based on my personal conversations with the author of the article, the world being created through Messiah Yeshua means this:
I was hoping for your personal understanding, not the authors. I already know he reads Messiah into the text wherever it suits him.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was hoping for your personal understanding, not the authors. I already know he reads Messiah into the text wherever it suits him.

I accept his teachings.

Honestly, "Reading Messiah into the text" is one of the most basic aspects of Biblical interpretation. I'm very surprised you see Christological readings of scripture as anything other than natural.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The beginning in v.1 and the things described in v.3 can be connected if you want, but there is no grammatical necessity to do so I think.
Grammatically, no. Doctrinally, yes. Since the logos was with Elohim and Elohim created everything, then the logos was present at creation.
To YOU, what is the beginning referring to?

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Grammatically, no. Doctrinally, yes. Since the logos was with Elohim and Elohim created everything, then the logos was present at creation.
To YOU, what is the beginning referring to?

The Logos was present with God, after it was created. God already made heaven and earth. This is introduced in Ge. 1:1 as a fait accomplit. The first thing to "happen" in scripture is the creation of Yeshua, the Light. But you are missing the point. The beginning is just a rhetorical device. Like once upon a time, or the beginning in John 8:44, it doesn't have the function you are ascribing to it. It is a phrase, not a specific digit on the clock.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, "Reading Messiah into the text" is one of the most basic aspects of Biblical interpretation. I'm very surprised you see Christological readings of scripture as anything other than natural.
We can see Messiah all throughout Scripture and such revelations can be backed up with Scripture (the Passover Lamb, wave sheaf offering, sacrifices and offerings, Temple artifacts, prophet like unto Moses, servant of YHWH, High Priest, etc.). Other supposed sightings of him in Scripture simply lead to false doctrines like the trinity.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Logos was present with God, after it was created. God already made heaven and earth. This is introduced in Ge. 1:1 as a fait accomplit. The first thing to "happen" in scripture is the creation of Yeshua, the Light. But you are missing the point. The beginning is just a rhetorical device. Like once upon a time, or the beginning in John 8:44, it doesn't have the function you are ascribing to it. It is a phrase, not a specific digit on the clock.
When was the logos created? The earth and water were already created before light was created.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
We can see Messiah all throughout Scripture and such revelations can be backed up with Scripture (the Passover Lamb, wave sheaf offering, sacrifices and offerings, Temple artifacts, prophet like unto Moses, servant of YHWH, High Priest, etc.). Other supposed sightings of him in Scripture simply lead to false doctrines like the trinity.

I am not a trinitarian. Saying Yeshua was created on day 1 is pretty much the opposite of trinitarianism.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
So, in other words, heaven, earth and water were created without the logos?

Yes. Living creatures were made through Yeshua, such as plants and animals and humans, but most of the basic physical phenomena were already present. It's like giving your son a block of paper to draw on, he needs the paper to make a picture. Ultimately, however, God is to be credited for all creative activity.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Living creatures were made through Yeshua, such as plants and animals and humans, but most of the basic physical phenomena were already present. It's like giving your son a block of paper to draw on, he needs the paper to make a picture. Ultimately, however, God is to be credited for all creative activity.
Psalm 33:6 By the word (LXX- Logos) of YHWH were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
John 1:3 All things were made by [the logos]; and without [the logos] was not any thing made that was made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 33:6 By the word (LXX- Logos) of YHWH were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
John 1:3 All things were made by [the logos]; and without [the logos] was not any thing made that was made.

That kinda creates a problem with "the Light" theory too, eh? :)

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

The word "all" can be used literally but in most cases it is not literal.

Throughout scripture, and throughout human use of language, the word "all" is used in a relative sense. A verse might say "all the people in the city were put to the sword", and the very next verse might describe survivors, as the word all is not meant literally.

If "all" is always literal, the scripture contradicts itself in the most basic and infantile of ways.

Ps. 33:6 is referring to the physical heavens, which were made over a course of 6 days. For example the sun and moon were created on day 4, and their creation was part of creating the physcial heaven.

Upvote 0