Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Folks,

I could use some help with this: can anyone provide the text for St. John's Gospel 1:1-7 in Irish Gaelic?

I've been searching for theses verses for a long time but I can't seem to find them nowhere online.

Go raibh máth agát for helping me. ;)

Rick (the Paddy Wannabe)

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is the Manx version I found online.

Chapter 1

Ayns y toshiaght va'n Goo, as va'n Goo marish Jee, as va'n Goo Jee.

Va'n Goo cheddin ayns y toshiaght marish Jee.

Liorishyn va dy chooilley nhee er ny yannoo; as n'egooish cha row nhee erbee jeant va er ny yannoo;

Aynsyn va bea, as va'n vea soilshey deiney.

As ren y soilshey soilshean ayns y dorraghys, as cha ren y dorraghys goaill-rish.

Va dooinney er ny choyrt veih Jee va enmyssit Ean.

Haink eh shoh son feanish, dy ymmyrkey feanish jeh'n toilshey, liorishyn dy vod dagh dy chooilley ghooinney credjal.

As you can see, it's close, but probably not as close as you want.

Scots Gaelic Bibles are easy to get. But they won't be as dead on to the Gaelic.

Maybe I can help you translate it for yourself. For example: the word "Goo" is Manx for "God." But Irish Gaelic (and Scots as well) translates this to : Dhia.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am ashamed to add, Rick, that I don't have my Gaelic Bible. I think it's at "home". (I'm cursed to live in the world a Bhearla! (where's my tish marks???) ) Anyway, if you want I'll help you slog through it and come out with a pretty good translation of the passage. I'm going home this summer, so this reminds to get one.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Check it out Rick!~!!!

Attachments

• irish.jpeg
    irish.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
*comes out of shell*

What is this with people calling Irish "Gaelic"? I can understand people who aren't Celtophiles like us thinking that, but come on! You two of all people should know that Gaelic is Scottish and Irish is Irish!

Anyway, do either of you know what the Paschal tropar is in Irish? I know that the greeting is:

"Tá Críosd ar éirigh!" "Go deimhin, tá e ar éirigh!"

But apart from that and how to say it ("Ta Creest ar air-ee!" "Go jehveen, ta e ar air-ee!"), I don't know how anything else in Irish that pertains to Pascha.

Illuminate me, please?

*goes back into shell until Pascha*

+IC XC NIKA+
Phillip.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ExOrienteLux said:
*comes out of shell*

What is this with people calling Irish "Gaelic"? I can understand people who aren't Celtophiles like us thinking that, but come on! You two of all people should know that Gaelic is Scottish and Irish is Irish!

All I can say is: The Brainwashing and Assimilation Program of the Last Thousand Years, worked. :p
Even the Holdouts at Tory Island still call it "Gaeltacht".

Anyway, do either of you know what the Paschal tropar is in Irish? I know that the greeting is:

"Tá Críosd ar éirigh!" "Go deimhin, tá e ar éirigh!"

But apart from that and how to say it ("Ta Creest ar air-ee!" "Go jehveen, ta e ar air-ee!"), I don't know how anything else in Irish that pertains to Pascha.

Illuminate me, please?

*goes back into shell until Pascha*

+IC XC NIKA+
Phillip.
Dear Phillip:
First of all, what's a nice Irish boy like you doing with a French-Hebrew name???? Your parents should have given you a solid Irish pagan name, like Declan or Nissa, or something. :p

'Tis truth I'm telling here: I have no idea how to answer your question. Being that my father and his father before him are/were atheists, and not having my aunties to hand to ask, my technical answer is: I DUNNO. :doh:
I've only been Orthodox for a year and prior to that, wouldn't have known a troparia if it bit me on the nose. I am assuming that you want translation of the hymn?

I might be able to manage that. But the truth is, my theological Irish vocabulary is rather limited.....I speak it, and read and write it, but up till now I have never known what those words were in it. It's the same as if you asked me to write a technical manual in Irish on Hewlett Packard printers....I don't know anything about them, so I can't talk intelligently in Irish, about them...see what I mean? My father is fluent in Russian and he has the same problem when I ask him to translate what is on the back of the Icons at church.

Upvote 0

Rick of Wessex

Alive and kicking!
Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
SUZ!!! :hug:

Suzannah said:
Check it out Rick!~!!!

Go raibh máth agát!! Thank you so much! :hug:

I asked for this passage to be read on the next Sunday Liturgy, when the Gospel is proclaimed in many differente languages. I asked my priest about it and he said it would be okay to read in Irish if I could find it.

Now I just need to decipher those stylized letters.

Rick

Upvote 0

Rick of Wessex

Alive and kicking!
Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey Nick,

Thank you so much. Any help will be appreciated. ;)

Rick

Alchemist said:
Hey Rick,

I might be able to help you... a girl I know through my old church is Irish, she has a Irish Bible at home, so I might be able to borrow it off her. Will keep you posted :).

Peace,
Nick

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ta' Crio'st e'irethe!!!

Although Manx is considered highly corrupted (I'll refrain from using a more "common" term for it...LOL) , you could use it as a jumping off place. To be honest, the old style print/font is difficult to read even for me. I can barely make it out and was thinking "Well, Rick is a scholar...he must be able to read it..." . I LOVE the Book of Kells, and I LOVE the Lindisfarne Gospels, and I absolutely LOVE my people...but they really do make things more complicated than necessary...it's a fatal flaw of my people .... ^_^

If it weren't for the blasted font, I'm sure I could at least help write the transliteration for pronunciation....I have to go buy the flowers for tonight and drop them off at the church....but I will take this with me (I printed it) and I will try to see how far I can get...

:hug: Rick!

Sla'n

Ps: *suzannah wonders how terrible it is to go to the Pub and ask a dear, old bogman named Tommy O'Byrne for help on Pascha..... Would St. Columba approve???? I think he WOULD!!!! We'll see....:clap:
^_^

Upvote 0

Rick of Wessex

Alive and kicking!
Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Suz,

Suzannah said:
Ta' Crio'st e'irethe!!!

Go deimhin, tá e ar éirigh!!!

Suz said:
To be honest, the old style print/font is difficult to read even for me. I can barely make it out and was thinking "Well, Rick is a scholar...he must be able to read it..."

Suz, thanks for the compliment! Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that ld style font. I'm trying to "decypher" it, though.

By the way, the Manx version is really interesting. Although this language is heavily influenced by Welsh, specially in its writen form, it's pronounciation and grammar are very similar to Irish.

I LOVE the Book of Kells

Me too. Seeing it live in Trinity College a few years ago was a fantastic experience.

If it weren't for the blasted font, I'm sure I could at least help write the transliteration for pronunciation... I have to go buy the flowers for tonight and drop them off at the church....but I will take this with me (I printed it) and I will try to see how far I can get...

Thank you so much, Suz. :hug:

In fact, pronounciation is not a problem - after studying the language and listening to Clannad and many other Irish musicians, I can pronounce it decently (enough to avoid offending any Irishman, at least.)

The problem is the font itself. :D

Got to go now. Once again thanks for your help! :hug:

Sán, Ristárd

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.