Joel Osteen: Man of God or Man of the People?

Do you believe God is generally pleased with what Joel Osteen is doing?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get what Joel is doing by not preaching the divisiveness of the gospel. As soon as you say "Jesus is the only way", you shut a lot of lost people's ears off to what you're saying.

I find it interesting that you approve of not preaching the gospel because it's "divisive" while Jesus himself said that he came to be divisive.

Matthew 10
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I do not agree with everything he states, but I was saved in a church very similar to Joel Osteen one. Yet I discovered was what was really important was not just attending the church for a service and I was just only a sunday Christian when I did that when I first started going to church but being of the small cell groups that meet regularly, and being part of the small cell group and thats where the transformations in my life happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I once thought as you until I began listening to him a little, and reading a few of his books. First of all he never professed to being a theologian, and does take a very simplistic approach to scripture. If his ministry brings someone to Christ who am I to judge his methods. Many have come to him because they felt beat up or abused by some over legalistic fellowship, maybe some their need to hear a positive approach to Christianity. I'm not implying that I agree with everything he has said in his books or on his programs, but there is one thing for sure, he is touching a lot of people and giving them hope, and he closes each of his programs with an invitation to make Jesus the Lord of your life. I also think there is an element of jealousy of pastors that wish they had a mega church, but don't. To me Joel is a breath of fresh air at times. As people we are all different, Jesus dealt with different people differently based on where they were coming from or their particular issues. Our various denominations and non denominations seem to meet the needs of a variety of people. That isn't a compromise of scripture, it is an understanding of diverse personalities and levels of understanding.

[/QUOTE]This type of man does more harm to the kingdom of God than any outside influence, because he decays the church from within and the church doesn't even realize it. His message is cancer being delivered to your doorstep by the devil himself disguised as an angel of light.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once thought as you until I began listening to him a little, and reading a few of his books. First of all he never professed to being a theologian, and does take a very simplistic approach to scripture. If his ministry brings someone to Christ who am I to judge his methods. Many have come to him because they felt beat up or abused by some over legalistic fellowship, maybe some their need to hear a positive approach to Christianity. I'm not implying that I agree with everything he has said in his books or on his programs, but there is one thing for sure, he is touching a lot of people and giving them hope, and he closes each of his programs with an invitation to make Jesus the Lord of your life. I also think there is an element of jealousy of pastors that wish they had a mega church, but don't. To me Joel is a breath of fresh air at times. As people we are all different, Jesus dealt with different people differently based on where they were coming from or their particular issues. Our various denominations and non denominations seem to meet the needs of a variety of people. That isn't a compromise of scripture, it is an understanding of diverse personalities and levels of understanding.
I have no doubt that people appear to come to Christ in his church, but when his church twists the words of scripture to fit a distorted version of the gospel, I wonder if they really did come to Christ or to someone else.

They think they're following Christ, but if they're being misled then how can they possibly know who they're following?

When the man they turn to every Sunday for the word of God can't even confidently say that those who reject Christ will go to hell, or that Jesus is the only way to the father, then are they really receiving the word of God?

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have no doubt that people appear to come to Christ in his church, but when his church twists the words of scripture to fit a distorted version of the gospel, I wonder if they really did come to Christ or to someone else.

They think they're following Christ, but if they're being misled then how can they possibly know who they're following?

When the man they turn to every Sunday for the word of God can't even confidently say that those who reject Christ will go to hell, or that Jesus is the only way to the father, then are they really receiving the word of God?

I think it is important to remember that the Holy Spirit draws a person, and if the Holy Spirit isn't, then all the preaching in the world won't move that individual. I was raised SDA but the Holy Spirit clearly moved me away from that denomination, but I truly believe many of my fellow SDA brothers and sisters fit in that denomination very well and that is where God wants them. The tendency to believe our theological beliefs or understandings of scripture is the only way one must believe sometimes leaves others out in the cold. We all strive to walk in His footsteps but as imperfect humans non of us walk on water. I believe it is more important to look for the positive aspects of any ministry rather than what we may not agree with. One of the strongest arguments agnostics and atheist have with Christianity is the diversity of our denominational beliefs. So if we sling mud at another ministry are we not giving Satan a tool to use against the body of Christ?

• Winner
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Joel Osteen is false teacher, leading people to Hell.

And if you are living "Your Best Life Now", your eternal destination is Hell.

I find if very difficult to understand this kind of thinking, I'm living my best life now, that is merely a positive statement about the life you are living. Many people need help with their self image, if you don't love yourself, you can't love others or God. A realistic and healthy self image is critically important in Christianity today. On Joel's closing he tells new believers to get into a bible believing church, he has never implied his way is the only way. He always leaves room for the Holy Spirit to guide a person to where they will fit in, or be ministered to based on their needs and maturity.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find if very difficult to understand this kind of thinking, I'm living my best life now, that is merely a positive statement about the life you are living. Many people need help with their self image, if you don't love yourself, you can't love others or God. A realistic and healthy self image is critically important in Christianity today. On Joel's closing he tells new believers to get into a bible believing church, he has never implied his way is the only way. He always leaves room for the Holy Spirit to guide a person to where they will fit in, or be ministered to based on their needs and maturity.

Life is not about your self esteem, is about how God esteems you. Apart from the grace of God, no one is good, no, not one. (Romans 3:10-12).

I have never heard Joel Osteen preach with conviction on the righteous wrath of God against sin and never heard him call people to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. Joel flat out refuses to call sin, sin. Joel preaches God is love, love, love, love. God is love, that is true. But that is not all that God is. God is holy. God is perfect. God is righteous. God has a righteous wrath against sin. God is just and He will not turn a blind eye to sin. Yet for this time, God is offering His grace and mercy for those who will turn from their sin (repent) and trust in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is important to remember that the Holy Spirit draws a person, and if the Holy Spirit isn't, then all the preaching in the world won't move that individual.
What do you think these people are attracted to? Is the Holy Spirit really drawing people to God via Joel's preaching, or is Joel drawing people to his own ministry via his own preaching?

The prosperity gospel that he preaches appeals to many people, clearly, but is it the same gospel that Jesus taught? Not even close. And having an alter call at the end of each service is entirely meaningless if these people don't even understand who Jesus is or what his message is.

The tendency to believe our theological beliefs or understandings of scripture is the only way one must believe sometimes leaves others out in the cold.
You sound very much like someone placing inclusion and acceptance above the truth, in terms of priority.

We all strive to walk in His footsteps but as imperfect humans non of us walk on water. I believe it is more important to look for the positive aspects of any ministry rather than what we may not agree with.
That sounds very nice but unfortunately that approach allows subtle lies to creep in and become acceptable.
One of the strongest arguments agnostics and atheist have with Christianity is the diversity of our denominational beliefs. So if we sling mud at another ministry are we not giving Satan a tool to use against the body of Christ?
Frankly, I don't give a damn how agnostics or atheists see "Christians". They've made their choice. I'm much more concerned with people who want to accept Christ, not receiving the true gospel, even though they think they are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟364,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think it is important to remember that the Holy Spirit draws a person, and if the Holy Spirit isn't, then all the preaching in the world won't move that individual. I was raised SDA but the Holy Spirit clearly moved me away from that denomination, but I truly believe many of my fellow SDA brothers and sisters fit in that denomination very well and that is where God wants them. The tendency to believe our theological beliefs or understandings of scripture is the only way one must believe sometimes leaves others out in the cold. We all strive to walk in His footsteps but as imperfect humans non of us walk on water. I believe it is more important to look for the positive aspects of any ministry rather than what we may not agree with. One of the strongest arguments agnostics and atheist have with Christianity is the diversity of our denominational beliefs. So if we sling mud at another ministry are we not giving Satan a tool to use against the body of Christ?
As a christian, there are not many things that grieve me more than the diversity of opinions on dogmatic issues. Maybe the one thing that grieves me more is other Christian's willingness to say OTHER Christians (who don't belong to the same denomination) or ANY Christian who doesn't belong to my denomination is going to hell.

Now, with that said, I find myself being kind of a hypocrite but I really do feel that the propserity gospel runs 100% counter to what Jesus teaches us in regards to our relationship with our earthly things.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always cast a suspicious eye at Joel Osteen. Something about him just doesn't sit right with me. His interviews, his sermons, the things he says in his books - all of it just doesn't sit right with me. I don't want to throw out the label of "false prophet" since I am not in a position to judge, but...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Osteen's father, John Osteen, was a notorious false teacher and heretic back in the 70's and 80s.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Joel Osteen begins each of his "sermons" with the following creed, encouraging the audience to recite it along with him.

“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive; I'll never be the same. In Jesus name, God bless you.”

What a way to open the hearts and minds of your audience to whatever it is you're about to sell them, having them believe that they are about to hear the word of God.

I haven't watched a lot of Osteen's preaching but what I have seen is deeply disturbing. The focus in his message clearly is on positive thinking and "happy thoughts", which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing if you're a motivational speaker at convention centres around the country, but he delivers his message from the pulpit, whence people expect to hear the gospel, and that is a misrepresentation of the faith.

Not only is he using a church, but he is literally using the word of God to sell his own message, rather than the message of the gospel. He is a motivational speaker who references scripture to support his points, but even in doing so incorrectly applies scripture to suit. Like when he said Colossians 3:2 says "set your mind on higher things" and then explains that "higher things" means "positive things". So not only did he misquote Colossians 3:2 but also twisted its meaning.

He is teaching you to focus on yourself, rather than on God. He even, with his creed above, makes the Bible sound like it's a book about you, rather than a book about God. If he promoted himself as simply a motivational speaker who believes in God, then that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but he actually sells himself as a preacher of the word of God and then proceeds to sell his books espousing his own personal life philosophy, all while standing at the pulpit, and that makes him a fraud. He is literally our modern day version of the money changers in the temple of God, selling his books from the pulpit rather than preaching the word of God.

Matthew 21:13 It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.

This type of man does more harm to the kingdom of God than any outside influence, because he decays the church from within and the church doesn't even realize it. His message is cancer being delivered to your doorstep by the devil himself disguised as an angel of light.
Ive heard him deliver some powerful messages, but he rarely quotes scripture which bothers me. He seems to be trying to build people up to believe in themselves rather than to trust in the Lord. And the man blinks entirely too much, and the eyes are the window to the soul, but you can never see this mans eyes because he is constantly blinking. To me thats shady like hes hiding something. You can say its the lights, his eyes are dry, or any other excuse, but hes Joel Osteen-wouldnt he tell them "the lights are in my eyes, I cant see"?? Seriously, the next time you watch him count how many times the man blinks per minute. Its weird people.

Upvote 0

kimberlyw

Aug 24, 2016
WNC
✟9,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never listened to him much so I cannot say with validity what I think. I HAVE actually read his wife's devotionals though, on facebook, and I was highly impressed with her teachings. She uses not many words but gets the point across and its blessed, and true. So, maybe I need to hear him before I vote on something like this but the thing is is that maybe people ARE opening their Bibles in listening to him preach.... and that, well that is priceless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the churches are seven...

Ephesus
- Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Peter
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

You really must watch Laodicean people. They refer to their churches and ministries as third parities. There are times when I hear the phrase, "We have got to protect our church," or, "We have got to look out for our ministry," as if it is an organization apart from Man, God, and sometimes as a justification from the evil of a money making machine.

DL Moody first got this started when he and Ira Sankey began selling hymnals. And it annoyed the English while they were over there that they were not giving proceeds back into the community. In the years after the great Chicago fire, Moody's wealthy Chicago supporter John V. Farwell tried to persuade him to make his permanent home in Chicago, offering to build a new house for Moody and his family. But the newly famous Moody chose the tranquil farm he had purchased next door to his birthplace in Northfield, Massachusetts. He felt he could better recover from his lengthy and exhausting preaching trips in a rural setting.

Now I am not saying that the Laodicean minister, including Joel Osteen, is not saved, however I do accuse them of making a money making racket off Christianity. They can get incredibly wealthy off ministry and I believe they do and say things to make themselves more money and advance their ministry. This is also true of the Billy Graham ministries. In 2008 Franklin Graham made $535,000 from Samaritan's Purse and $669,000 from Charlotte, N.C.-based BGEA (Franklin Graham moves to address concerns about his $1.2 million pay packages). Earlier this year Franklin Graham 's pay raise to $880,000 reportedly raised eyebrows (http://religionnews.com/2015/08/18/...y-raises-eyebrows-among-christian-nonprofits/).
Thank you for sharing. It is well put an it describes the situation of the churches of today.

Upvote 0

Newsgurl

Always here to help
Apr 8, 2017
United States
✟23,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think whoever listens to him and sits at his "so called church" are part of his cult. All he cares about is making money he doesn't care about helping others or leading anybody to Christ it's all me me me! To him. Have you seen his house? Ha the garage probably wouldn't even b the size of my small room I live in

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟794,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He isn't paid by the church to be their pastor.

Noticed that he may not quote the Scripture but the content is frequently there.

"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Matt 7:2

Got enough going on without shoveling anymore on myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rakis

Apr 23, 2017
Auckland
✟9,363.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Joel Osteen begins each of his "sermons" with the following creed, encouraging the audience to recite it along with him.

“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive; I'll never be the same. In Jesus name, God bless you.”

What a way to open the hearts and minds of your audience to whatever it is you're about to sell them, having them believe that they are about to hear the word of God.

I haven't watched a lot of Osteen's preaching but what I have seen is deeply disturbing. The focus in his message clearly is on positive thinking and "happy thoughts", which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing if you're a motivational speaker at convention centres around the country, but he delivers his message from the pulpit, whence people expect to hear the gospel, and that is a misrepresentation of the faith.

Not only is he using a church, but he is literally using the word of God to sell his own message, rather than the message of the gospel. He is a motivational speaker who references scripture to support his points, but even in doing so incorrectly applies scripture to suit. Like when he said Colossians 3:2 says "set your mind on higher things" and then explains that "higher things" means "positive things". So not only did he misquote Colossians 3:2 but also twisted its meaning.

He is teaching you to focus on yourself, rather than on God. He even, with his creed above, makes the Bible sound like it's a book about you, rather than a book about God. If he promoted himself as simply a motivational speaker who believes in God, then that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but he actually sells himself as a preacher of the word of God and then proceeds to sell his books espousing his own personal life philosophy, all while standing at the pulpit, and that makes him a fraud. He is literally our modern day version of the money changers in the temple of God, selling his books from the pulpit rather than preaching the word of God.

Matthew 21:13 It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.

This type of man does more harm to the kingdom of God than any outside influence, because he decays the church from within and the church doesn't even realize it. His message is cancer being delivered to your doorstep by the devil himself disguised as an angel of light.

:preach: Joel is my brother in the Lord he is preaching Gods Word it's sound and biblical his personality reflexs his teaching style he preachers about thinking right thoughts and when your discouraged he'll pick you up through the gift of encouragement
If you follow pastor Joel for a length of time you'll find he does preach the gospel the class of people he has in his church like being feed that way, keeping in mind his father was the senior pastor of lake wood so it was handed down to him. You think his father made a mistake?
Don't think so.
Your arguments are not good enough if their was something more sinister he would not have mighty men and woman preach at his church period! Personally he's not my cup of tea but whenever I listen to him it's crystal clear sound proof.
:preach: See I have not hurled one rock at you but you have hurled a half a dozen at my brother in the Lord.
Jesus prayed a prayer in the gospels of John 17:11 ...keep them in your name, the name which you have give me, that they may be one as we are one.
Jesus prayed that we would be unified but as we see today we are not acting as answered prayer but one day I believe we will be unified as the body of Christ the Church.

Upvote 0