Joel Osteen = False Teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origamimaster81

May 14, 2015
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
I started watching/listening Paul Washer sermons. They are amazing and I highly suggest you check him out but only if you can take it... he's pretty hardcore. But anyways, In a video I watched he told a story about a man in his hometown who was a known drug dealer, fornicator, drug addict, just horrible person. His funeral was held in a church and all of his friends who had hardly been in church their entire life (his friends were addicts too) are there honoring their dead friend, then one of the most well-known baptist pastors in the area comes up and says, "I praise God! I know this man smoked a lot of wild oats but when he was 9 years old he prayed and asked Jesus Christ in his heart to become his savior! And he's in heaven today!" Now, personally I believe you cannot claim to be a christian, yet hardly pray and go to church and get a 'Go To Heaven Free' card. All of those men attending that funeral left, justified in their sin because a holy man, a pastor, said this man went to heaven even though he sinned and didn't repent. We need to fix this. Paul Washer also spoke about how people don't want to hear scripture, they wanna hear that they're gonna have their "Best Life Now!" as Joel Osteen's books imply. He also said that the people attending his church and reading his books and watching his shows are not victims of him, he is God's judgement upon them because they want to hear what they want and it's not God.

Last edited:

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have watched Joel and I first of all believe he is more of a motivational speaker. He does preach positive thoughts. He does give glory to God and he does preach Christ. As for whether or not he himself is false, that would be for God to decide.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have watched Joel and I first of all believe he is more of a motivational speaker. He does preach positive thoughts. He does give glory to God and he does preach Christ. As for whether or not he himself is false, that would be for God to decide.

I tend to be of that POV, too. While it's common for people to call Osteen a false prophet or false teacher, when it gets down to brass tacks they usually don't identify any false teachings but, rather, are complaining that he doesn't present the Gospel in the way that they'd prefer. Well, there are different ways of reaching people. There probably is a place for someone with the ability to reach those who are not deeply immersed in Christian theology and need to understand Christ from a different angle than the rest of us.

I wonder about the spiritual wellbeing of those who never go beyond this level, but most of the people who come in contact with Osteen are not residents of Houston but are only seeing him on TV, so they have every opportunity to join a local church after having been motivated by Joel Osteen.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I tend to be of that POV, too. While it's common for people to call Osteen a false prophet or false teacher, when it gets down to brass tacks they usually don't identify any false teachings but, rather, are complaining that he doesn't present the Gospel in the way that they'd prefer. Well, there are different ways of reaching people. There probably is a place for someone with the ability to reach those who are not deeply immersed in Christian theology and need to understand Christ from a different angle than the rest of us.

I wonder about the spiritual wellbeing of those who never go beyond this level, but most of the people who come in contact with Osteen are not residents of Houston but are only seeing him on TV, so they have every opportunity to join a local church after having been motivated by Joel Osteen.

I believe people mature by studying the Word of God, following Christ's example, being "alone" with God as well as attending church services or watching on TV. I'm a believer in reaching people according to their needs and not just inside of a church building.

Upvote 0

wakemantk

Sep 3, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to be of that POV, too. While it's common for people to call Osteen a false prophet or false teacher, when it gets down to brass tacks they usually don't identify any false teachings but, rather, are complaining that he doesn't present the Gospel in the way that they'd prefer.

The false teachings in question are a particular Christian heresy known as the "prosperity gospel" of which Osteen is a large proponent. Osteen tries to teach that material wealth is a specific goal of God's towards each of us- and anyone who has anything more than a passing familiarity with the way that Christ talks about material wealth, and the way that the disciples under him taught about the role of material wealth understands that to be laughably false. Osteen specifically rejects the notion of human sin (a central doctrine to mere christianity) which really just puts the nail in the coffin.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The false teachings in question are a particular Christian heresy known as the "prosperity gospel" of which Osteen is a large proponent.
I'm not convinced that the "prosperity Gospel" qualifies as a heresy, and I don't think that Osteen really does make that one of his big teachings, certainly not like Creflo Dollar and some others do. To say that we should take heart because God wants the best for us and hears our prayers, etc. stops short of what most people think of as the prosperity Gospel.

Osteen specifically rejects the notion of human sin (a central doctrine to mere christianity) which really just puts the nail in the coffin.
I've never noticed that; but if is correct to say, that would be serious, I agree.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced that the "prosperity Gospel" qualifies as a heresy, and I don't think that Osteen really does make that one of his big teachings, certainly not like Creflo Dollar and some others do. To say that we should take heart because God wants the best for us and hears our prayers, etc. stops short of what most people think of as the prosperity Gospel.

I've never noticed that; but if is correct to say, that would be serious, I agree.

I have never personally heard anything from Osteen that would lead me to think he was like a prosperity preacher. As I mentioned earlier, I think he tends to be more of a motivational and positive speaker. But to each his own. The most secure way to study God is through His own words.

Upvote 0

wakemantk

Sep 3, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not convinced that the "prosperity Gospel" qualifies as a heresy, and I don't think that Osteen really does make that one of his big teachings, certainly not like Creflo Dollar and some others do. To say that we should take heart because God wants the best for us and hears our prayers, etc. stops short of what most people think of as the prosperity Gospel. I've never noticed that; but if is correct to say, that would be serious, I agree.

Can I simply recommend one book:
Chapter 6 starts on page 182 and focuses on Osteen.

Would you say that fits with orthodox Christianity?

"Too many times we get stuck in a rut, thinking we've reached our limits, but God wants us to constantly be increasing, to be rising to new heights. He wants to increase you in his wisdom and help you make better decisions. God wants to increase you financially, by giving you promotions, fresh ideas, and creativity."

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Can I simply recommend one book:
Chapter 6 starts on page 182 and focuses on Osteen.

Would you say that fits with orthodox Christianity?

"Too many times we get stuck in a rut, thinking we've reached our limits, but God wants us to constantly be increasing, to be rising to new heights. He wants to increase you in his wisdom and help you make better decisions. God wants to increase you financially, by giving you promotions, fresh ideas, and creativity."

Were there not many OT people who loved God and did God's bidding and who also were rich? Abraham for one. And why would God not want each individual to increase in their God-given potential? I am not saying that everyone who follows God will be rich but there is no sin I see if one does achieve financial independence. I'm also not saying I agree with every Osteen says or for that matter everything any other preacher says. I stick to the Word of God for my affirmations. But I just think we should not be quick to judge anyone as long as they preach Jesus Christ. Thanks for the book lead.

Upvote 0

wakemantk

Sep 3, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Were there not many OT people who loved God and did God's bidding and who also were rich? Abraham for one. And why would God not want each individual to increase in their God-given potential? I am not saying that everyone who follows God will be rich but there is no sin I see if one does achieve financial independence. I'm also not saying I agree with every Osteen says or for that matter everything any other preacher says. I stick to the Word of God for my affirmations. But I just think we should not be quick to judge anyone as long as they preach Jesus Christ. Thanks for the book lead.

In many cases you can't realize that Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all that you have. There is a distinct difference between loving God and loving God's blessings. We are to seek the former explicitly, and the latter may or may not follow. Should we look at the rich lesson that the book of Job provides on that bit of insight. God doesn't want to "make you rich" He doesn't endorse that hedonistic gluttony that American materialism so eagerly seeks to defend and justify- he wants you to repair your relationship with Him through Christ, that is all. To seek to base our identity on anything but God is to base our identity on an idol.

Thus Mr. Osteen is in reality just seeking to serve that idea of increasing oneself, of self improvement- which he has fashioned into an idol that he seeks to use God as a means towards...

Think about that... Look at that sentence above. It isn't about God, it isn't about your relationship to God- its about increasing yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In many cases you can't realize that Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all that you have. There is a distinct difference between loving God and loving God's blessings. We are to seek the former explicitly, and the latter may or may not follow. Should we look at the rich lesson that the book of Job provides on that bit of insight. God doesn't want to "make you rich" He doesn't endorse that hedonistic gluttony that American materialism so eagerly seeks to defend and justify- he wants you to repair your relationship with Him through Christ, that is all. To seek to base our identity on anything but God is to base our identity on an idol.

Thus Mr. Osteen is in reality just seeking to serve that idea of increasing oneself, of self improvement- which he has fashioned into an idol that he seeks to use God as a means towards...

Think about that... Look at that sentence above. It isn't about God, it isn't about your relationship to God- its about increasing yourself.

As I said, to each his own. Remember God is our final judge. He gave us his word that we as individuals can read and study for ourselves. No, everyone will no become rich, powerful but it is also not a sin to be rich. I personally strive for peace most of all.

Upvote 0

wakemantk

Sep 3, 2014
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I said, to each his own. Remember God is our final judge. He gave us his word that we as individuals can read and study for ourselves. No, everyone will no become rich, powerful but it is also not a sin to be rich. I personally strive for peace most of all.

I'm curious as to what you think of Mark 10:25 in light of your words above. Is not greed a sin? Can money/wealth/status not be fashioned into an idol?

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious as to what you think of Mark 10:25 in light of your words above. Is not greed a sin? Can money/wealth/status not be fashioned into an idol?

Anything can become an idol. Money, status, dancing, drinking, anything which we focus on more that God. That verse says it is easier because why? Because rich people can be more in love with their riches than God. However, this does not mean anyone who is rich cannot go to heaven. It's what is in a person's heart that counts. There are poor people, average income people who can make something an idol as well.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He preaches Christ?

Do you mean when he says,"In Jesus name", because that is nearly it. He does handle Scripture in context, and because of this he doesn't preach the gospel. Whether or not he is a Christian is up to God. A false teacher is something Christians can and should decide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Paul Washer also spoke about how people don't want to hear scripture, they wanna hear that they're gonna have their "Best Life Now!" as Joel Osteen's books imply. He also said that the people attending his church and reading his books and watching his shows are not victims of him, he is God's judgement upon them because they want to hear what they want and it's not God.

That's a bit harsh. If Osteen preaches scripture, prays in the Name of Jesus, where is the judgment of God in that?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well Mikedsjr, I see you believe he is a false teacher. Thanks for posting a reply.
Do you have a sermon you find demonstrating what you find good preaching from Osteen? There is no way to discuss this without a fair representation of what people deem a good sermon from Joel.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We that believe Jesus came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sins was buried rose the 3rd day is the only way to the Father I , Joel, and those Word of Faith preachers believe this. We tend to judge others by our truth not His. Since the start ..if you eat.. you will die. The cost of sin.. the wages of sin is death. God hates sin because it pulls, takes you away from Him. Yet we judge others with levels, degrees as in.. you look like sound like you have more sin then good so this = your not saved.

False is Smith getting tablets from some angel...false is MILLIONS believing in ALLAH that has no son..false is Mary can forgive your sins talks to Jesus for you. These are..things like these are false teachers. ANYONE that watches Joel preach and gets saved is 100% saved washed in the blood. ANYONE that listens to Word Of Faith preaching is 100% saved. To think YOUR personal view on HIS word is the real 100% truth you are deceived.. We all do this. We all know our truth is the real truth and those that dont think like us believe like us ..not following my GOD! Who do you think GOD uses to spread the word?

You know.. I know well known preachers that say some gifts are of the devil..false teacher? Yes and no. They are not preaching truth but a lie..yet this does not make them false. Jesus never came in the flesh.. 100% false gospel. .. its ok.. I just want us to be as one. If we think they are in error we dont speak evil of them nor post for the world to see their mistakes. We bring them before God... we pray for them love them help them pick them up.. we treat each other the same way Jesus treats us.

And you know better then this. Jesus never once posted your sin your mistakes your false beliefs any where any time. He never gave up on you never spoke one letter of evil bad nothing.. no it was .. only GOOD..and your like.. A Jesus..did you not see what I said there did there? NO.. He opens His arms and says.. GET OVER HERE! Hug TIME!.. and you fall on your knees. This love that seems to be blind...loves you so much.. see what HE sees. IF this was your child your mom dad brother wife.. not one of you would be posting.. yet these are more family to you then any flesh and blood.

Oh..not I dont follow nor listen to Joel .. He is family so.. I pray for him.. see the good 1st.. what good does he do? Do you even know? Shouldnt we know this 1st?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.