Joel Osteen a fake preacher? (as are others?)

Joel Olsteen like many is...

• A false preacher

• Is a legit preacher.

• Somewhere in between.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Itagaki

You're Gonna go Far, Kid
Mar 19, 2012
✟8,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not reading an article by some no name internet person who thinks it's their ministry to tear down other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

As for Joel, he's good. He's not very deep, but he is an encourager and a light of hope for many. I liked his dad better, but even if I didn't like Joel, I would not tear him down.

For instance, there are some radio and television preachers out there who I believe outright lie to people about God (Joel is not one of them) but I won't name their names because it's not my ministry to destroy what they are doing for God. Who knows, maybe there is a place even for bad preachers in the kingdom. If every preacher taught the same way, it would not work and would be boring. Maybe God needs people who preach on one subject and others who do so on another?

Upvote 0

amyturtle

Apr 16, 2012
✟15,119.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you XFREAK. I am not judging anyone, but I do know that the bible does teach of false prophets and wolves in sheeps clothing. I do know that just because you get saved and accept Jesus into your heart, it doesn't mean that everything will be easy street from now on. Salvation assures a place in Heaven and that God will be with you through every trial and tribulation that comes along. That's why we are saved through Faith and repentance. IF God did everything for you, where does faith come in? So I totally agree. Amy

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. :)

Yeah I am not judging the guy, he does bring people to the Lord and like the rest of us he will got heaven. I just don't think the way he teaches is correct. To me teach the whole bible or don't teach it all then. Because teaching partial truths just lead to confusion among christians.

It also doesn't help that people will LOOK towards people like him for advice is if hes all knowing. Yes he is a preacher BUT hes still human. We should be looked to God above anyone else. We can ask others for answers, but we should then make sure those answers are accurate by checking our bibles. Remember, God is the Word and the Word is God!

That's why we are saved through Faith and repentance. IF God did everything for you, where does faith come in? So I totally agree.
Exactly. Every person I have met that likes him seems to turn into a robot that believes God will hand everything to you as you wish if you just stay positive, happy...etc. Its not how it works, true we should try to be postive people. But no matter how postive you are it doesn't mean life will be perfect. You still can get hit bya car, you can get cancer, you can have a miscarriage. Because of sin this stuff happens.

I think I mentioned it here but one of our old pastors who was in his early 40s, he was a VERY godly man. He was nice and loving, gave good sermons...everything. Then he found out he had cancer. He died within a year! So being the most perfect person you can be in the Lord doens't mean anything! Faith needs to play a role.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MountainofGod1 if you cannot see what Osteen says/doesn't say is wrong you need to read the bible and /or change churches if your pastor "teaches" just like him. Jesus said blunt, unpleasant words to confront people with their sin matthew 23
http://defendingcontending.com/2012...mormon-mitt-romney-believe-in-the-same-jesus/
So from what you have said do we conclude that you should not do any teaching? that would mean you changing most of your posts! See you have spoken a half-truth here. yes Jesus was very blunt on occasion. however when we look at stories like the woman caught in adultery or the woman at the well or Jesus & Zacherius (excuse spelling) we see a very gentle Jesus. There are plenty more examples of Jesus being gentle and kind. The blunt & unpleasant seemed to be reserved mostly for the unrepentant religious leaders of the day.

Upvote 0

Itagaki

You're Gonna go Far, Kid
Mar 19, 2012
✟8,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why such focus on Joel, focus on the Father in Heaven instead. I don't agree with his message, so I don't listen. Yes he makes the bucks and has a hot looking wife.

Maybe people are jealous.

Not everyone can be successful, have a hot husband or wife and be seen on thousands of TV channels every week.

Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
I personally have no issues with Joel Osteen. He's very positive and gets the point acrossed. He has helped me with this one issue. I'll post a video, it's easier for me to show.

You Are Blessed and Cannot Be Cursed (Joel Osteen) - YouTube

I had an issue with me feeling like I was cursed for many years. I always had bad luck, and never seemed to get what was needed. My parents are negative, and never seemed to find a way out of anything. There was always a catch 22. My dad was always angry, and my life as a child was always painful. I still haven't fully recovered. But watching this episode of Joel Osteen. I know God is with me, and for me. I knew He was with me as a child. But I know now, that I'm not cursed or damned. I'm meant for something greater. In God's eyes I'm His beloved. It feels great.

Joel Osteen is a great teacher. He is very humble while he is teaching. He also stays with the important traditions. With the "Bible Pledge" at the beginning of the show. That is very honorable. Not to many churches to that anymore. I remember a church use to do that. It is very powerful, and you can feel God happy in the room.

Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
He will tell the masses whatever they want to hear because they give him the $ to justify his false Prosperity Doctrine.

Of course he is going to sound like a Christian, he has to convince them to part with their hard earned dollars.

Just because they ask, doesn't mean you have to give. You can just watch, and learn something. Any of the Bible teachers that are on tv. Don't force anyone to spend there money. 3-5 shows I have watched on TBN and The Church Channel. I have found knowledge that I was seeking to find. With this knowledge I'm closer to God. Thanks to them, I'm a better person. I was lost for awhile with great pain in my heart. I have applied the info that they shared. And things are getting better, and my Holy Spirit is getting stronger. My next step is to trust God with everything that I have in my life. With the tools that they are sharing to use.

I know there are people out there who are money hungry, and lie about it. But there are genuine teachers who are doing what they say that they are doing. And doing those things cost money. If God asks "The TV Bible teachers" to save people. Those "Bible Teachers" need money to support that cause. If you don't have the money, and it doesn't feel right to you. You don't have to pay. There are people out there who have that kind of money, and give it to them just to get right standing with God. Because they helped. IF you don't want to pay your just not annointed to do so.

Just because you don't disagree or is someone is not happy. I won't falsely accuse someone. Even if I don't know them, or have full info. It is stated in our 10 commandments not to falsely accuse your neighbor. Please, think and meditate that for awhile.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So from what you have said do we conclude that you should not do any teaching? that would mean you changing most of your posts! See you have spoken a half-truth here. yes Jesus was very blunt on occasion. however when we look at stories like the woman caught in adultery or the woman at the well or Jesus & Zacherius (excuse spelling) we see a very gentle Jesus. There are plenty more examples of Jesus being gentle and kind. The blunt & unpleasant seemed to be reserved mostly for the unrepentant religious leaders of the day.

Who else has said I am teaching but you? I am stating the obvious for any christian who actually knows anything about the FULL gospel. The bible actually says higher standards are expected of people supposed to be teaching their congregation. James 3:1 Olsteen is not doing his job. He is guilty of negligence because his congregation is getting nothing but fairy-floss preaching. They will be severely malnourished spiritually.

Read this verse. 2 timothy 4:2. Is Olsteen doing any of that? NO he is not. All he does is give peptalks and tells people that God will bless them in this life if they are positive enough and believe hard enough. He is a great encourager but a hopeless preacher. He may have been a very good counsellor though.

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who else has said I am teaching but you? I am stating the obvious for any christian who actually knows anything about the FULL gospel. The bible actually says higher standards are expected of people supposed to be teaching their congregation. James 3:1 Olsteen is not doing his job. He is guilty of negligence because his congregation is getting nothing but fairy-floss preaching. They will be severely malnourished spiritually.

Read this verse. 2 timothy 4:2. Is Olsteen doing any of that? NO he is not. All he does is give peptalks and tells people that God will bless them in this life if they are positive enough and believe hard enough. He is a great encourager but a hopeless preacher. He may have been a very good counsellor though.

Hit the nail on the head, fairy-floss preaching and pep talks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The article is an assault against a priest anointed by God to spread the Good News.
Candy coating sin? No, this would be saying a sinful life is sweet and good tasting -- He does not!
People know their sin, the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin and his job is to point people to faith in Christ with encouragement. How many scriptures tell us to encourage one another? He has a style and it is not one like others who point their holy fingers and make you leave feeling guilty or unworthy to even take communion. Jesus died for our sins -- "... therefore there is then no condemnation for those who are in Christ ..." Room. 8:1
You can change with God's help, Joel did not say without God's help, this is an implication. Let me tell you that many are envious and jealous of his work and success! I've heard pastors that are accomplishing practically nothing in their ministry attack Joel as if he is Satan's worker leading everyone to Hell! Envy?
People have changed their lives before they knew Christ, not that God wasn't behind it but the Lord works in the lives or everyone for His Good Purpose.
Joel doesn't preach a universal faith, He uses scripture and supports his stories of encouragement and faith w/ scriptures.
Compromise? No, Joel is anointed. This writer should use his gifts to promote Christ not try to destroy someone who is in the body. Shame on him or anyone who attacks a person who pastors any church that is growing and expresses the love of Christ. I rebuked a friend of mine who trashed Joel. I asked him, "what are you doing for Christ to spread the gospel?" He couldn't say anything, he shut up, because he does nothing but cut people down! By their fruit you will know them.
Encouragement, promoting faith in Christ is good.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you XFREAK. I am not judging anyone, but I do know that the bible does teach of false prophets and wolves in sheeps clothing. I do know that just because you get saved and accept Jesus into your heart, it doesn't mean that everything will be easy street from now on. Salvation assures a place in Heaven and that God will be with you through every trial and tribulation that comes along. That's why we are saved through Faith and repentance. IF God did everything for you, where does faith come in? So I totally agree. Amy
Except when you look further into what Osteen says then he doesn't say it is easy. he acknowledges that what he sees at solutions in some situations while being siomple solutions are not easy to do.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article is an assault against a priest anointed by God to spread the Good News.
Candy coating sin? No, this would be saying a sinful life is sweet and good tasting -- He does not!
People know their sin, the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin and his job is to point people to faith in Christ with encouragement. How many scriptures tell us to encourage one another? He has a style and it is not one like others who point their holy fingers and make you leave feeling guilty or unworthy to even take communion. Jesus died for our sins -- "... therefore there is then no condemnation for those who are in Christ ..." Room. 8:1
You can change with God's help, Joel did not say without God's help, this is an implication. Let me tell you that many are envious and jealous of his work and success! I've heard pastors that are accomplishing practically nothing in their ministry attack Joel as if he is Satan's worker leading everyone to Hell! Envy?
People have changed their lives before they knew Christ, not that God wasn't behind it but the Lord works in the lives or everyone for His Good Purpose.
Joel doesn't preach a universal faith, He uses scripture and supports his stories of encouragement and faith w/ scriptures.
Compromise? No, Joel is anointed. This writer should use his gifts to promote Christ not try to destroy someone who is in the body. Shame on him or anyone who attacks a person who pastors any church that is growing and expresses the love of Christ. I rebuked a friend of mine who trashed Joel. I asked him, "what are you doing for Christ to spread the gospel?" He couldn't say anything, he shut up, because he does nothing but cut people down! By their fruit you will know them.

:thumbsup::amen::amen:

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Erm are you saying God doesn't want us to be humble? Perhaps you should see this:
no they did not say you should not be humble. you need to read what is written. All too often I see you reading what you want to read rather than what is said. What was said is false humility. False humility is wrong. it is not actually being humble at all. So despite agreeing with them you are having a go at what they said. please take more care to read what is actually written.

having given some thoughts to your posts over several threads a common theme is the saying "you can find good in anything". You seem to be so determined to go against that that if there is mostly good with a little bit of bad you condemn it. you throw the baby out with the bathwater as the saying goes. have think about that if you would and consider. Ask people who know you really well if they think there is truth to that statement when it comes to you.

Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian

I agree with you. Joel is a great pastor. That is a fact. Jesus wants His followers to be kind and loving. Such as the commandment "Love God with all your heart, mind and soul with all your being. And Love your neighbor as much as yourself." Joel is doing that job. The best way to gain people into Heaven with God is thru Love and compassion.

Most importantly Jesus said that is to forgive others for there trespasses. If you don't forgive them, you will be judged the same fate under God. God wants His people to forgive, and be kind to one another. Not condemn them to there is no life in them. Satan is already doing that job. If you show hate, unforgiveness, and haughty personality. No, one will trust you and leave.

If you think about it, there is so many depressed people out there. They need those kind words from someone. It shows them there is a light in the world. Jesus is the light in the world. Jesus's idea is to show hope to the world from despair. And there is still life, and not death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

it may not be a formal position you hold but read many of your posts. they are teaching. What it comes down to is this. You are guilty of exactly what you are accusing someone else of. your response to that has not been i will consider what you say or your right I better change. No rather you show signs of brushing it aside and ignoring an opportunity to grow.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
firstly if we take this article to be accurate and the principles it uses then I can say with absolute confidence that there is not one single preacher in christianity that is not a false preacher. therefore if Osteen is to be criticised and condemned then so to must every single preacher who ever has or ever will live.

Part 1 of 3:
having now read all of this i really can't see a problem. The author of the article is basically playing word games. They are using semantics to condemn him. If one has discernment then one should easily be able to see that.

Part 2 of 3:
having read this I can see accusations with no evidence.

When one reads the transcript that appears in the article in full it actually has Osteen saying he believes in things that the article is being critical of him for not believing in. So they point out that they are making false claims.

It also quotes Olsteen as saying what he means when he isn't going to focus on the negative. An example would be for someone who has gone through divorce if focusing on negative would be saying woe is me what good am I. however focusing on the positive is saying God has a plan for me and has prepared good works for me and i want to know God more and do what he has planned for me. This is how Osteen put it
And there's nothing the enemy would love any more than for you to go around thinking about your faults and weaknesses, all the mistakes you made last week and all the times you messed up last month.

No, don't even go down that road. Quit dwelling on what you've done wrong and start dwelling on what you've done right. You may not be all you're supposed to be, but at least you can thank God you're not what you used to be. And we all make mistakes. But you know what? You need to learn to just be quick to repent. Say God, I'm sorry, forgive me. Help me to do better next time.
now please explain what is wrong with that. See i think the authors of the article have heard him say I'm not going to focus on the negative and assume he means certain things.

not up to reading third part yet but hopefully will later.

Exactly. Every person I have met that likes him seems to turn into a robot that believes God will hand everything to you as you wish if you just stay positive, happy...etc. Its not how it works, true we should try to be postive people. But no matter how postive you are it doesn't mean life will be perfect. You still can get hit bya car, you can get cancer, you can have a miscarriage. Because of sin this stuff happens.
Well if they believe that they are not listening to what osteen is saying. it is easy to see in the transcript linked in the article that he says these things happen and he doesn't know why one person lives and one person dies. So you can't hold it against him if people hear what they want to hear rather than what is actually said.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
it may not be a formal position you hold but read many of your posts. they are teaching. What it comes down to is this. You are guilty of exactly what you are accusing someone else of. your response to that has not been i will consider what you say or your right I better change. No rather you show signs of brushing it aside and ignoring an opportunity to grow.
1. I have been corrected. I never thought a tongue-tied person like me would be told I was a teacher! :D

I have been taught research skills as part of a librarian degree plus I read an awful lot about christian apologetics and discernment to overcome poor christian teachings that I had received in the past. I suppose my teaching/reference training must be showing after all. :)

2. Every serious discernment ministry that has ever mentioned Olsteen is concerned about his avoidance of challenging doctrine that might offend some people. He is the one who plays word games, not me. www.youtube.com/

3. Don't you make assumptions about what how open I am to certain things. I wanted to believe "positive-thinking christianity" so badly, I read the books, I watched the shows - Iwanted to be healed of my condition and have life circumstances improve like Word-of-Faith preachers promise... it did not happen and I had a severe crisis of faith that lasted for years when I was told by another christian it was my fault because I didn't have enough faith.

The bible does not promise positive outcomes in this lifetime like WoF preachers (like Olsteen) promise God will give ALL His children.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Exactly.

having given some thoughts to your posts over several threads a common theme is the saying "you can find good in anything". You seem to be so determined to go against that that if there is mostly good with a little bit of bad you condemn it. you throw the baby out with the bathwater as the saying goes. have think about that if you would and consider.
Well aren't we judgemental and making assumptions. Where have I ever said you can find good in everything?!? Most of what your saying is lies. For all your asumptions I have PLENTY of people tell me I am right on this forum and tell me to ignore the wolves that are here amongst the sheep. Feel free to think what you will.

Oh and I do not condemn for one little problem. I try help people with whatever problems. I never say "Wow you sinned, well its off to hell with you SINNER!". Don't put words in my mouth. If you REALLY read my posts you'd say we are all sinners and have to work on things to be like Jesus more. Another thing I say is if people ask for advice, I give it to them. IF someones says "Should I be having sex before marriage?" I tell them no. Do you consider that to be condeming them?!?

Ask people who know you really well if they think there is truth to that statement when it comes to you.
Thats funny, no one seems to have a problem with how I am. They know I do not judge people or condemn them. This does not mean I am perfect. And neither are you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible does not promise positive outcomes in this lifetime like WoF preachers (like Olsteen) promise God will give ALL His children.
if he promises positive outcomes then why does he acknowledge that bad things happen to people? Your claim and his statements don't add up. You claim that he preaches something that he has said is not the case.

By the way they aren't assumptions if they are taken from observing your actions or what you say (write). That is all I have done.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.