Midwest
✟155,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is Job a true story? Did these people really give such long speeches, word for word, like it’s recorded in the Bible?
My NIV Life Application Study Bible says it’s one of the “poetic books”.
But it also says that Ezekiel and James mention Job as an historical character. So…..?

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is Job a true story? Did these people really give such long speeches, word for word, like it’s recorded in the Bible?
But it also says that Ezekiel and James mention Job as an historical character. So…..?

Hi, I was informed by a member of CF that it is wisdom literature and not an actual account.

Blessings...

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟155,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I was informed by a member of CF that it is wisdom literature and not an actual account.

Blessings...
What’s “wisdom literature” and does this opinion agree with Lutheran teaching?
@Daniel9v9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What’s “wisdom literature” and does this opinion agree with Lutheran teaching.
@Daniel9v9

Not sure. Search on the Internet.

I found this...

The books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job are known as the Bible's wisdom literature. And together they teach us an important lesson about what it means to live good and godly lives.

Blessings...

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There's no way to know for sure. Most people ask this question hoping it's not historical, but the fact that we don't know means there is no reason to dismiss it as unhistorical.

It further seems most hope it's not historical so that they can conclude, 'Whew! I'm glad, because it seems unfair God would do that."

The problem is, the Bible wouldn't include a story that is theologically false. So, even if it's not historical, the fact that Job is in the Bible means it is theologically sound and Job could have happened.

If that wasn't your reason for asking, please clarify.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,582.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The book of Job is a complex and a bit of a mysterious book. It is one of the Wisdom and Poetry books in the Bible, and it uses highly sophisticated form and language — it is poetry. However, it's first of all good to appreciate that over 1/4 of the Old Testament is poetry (it was a common and ideal form of communication the ancient world), and that it is historical and true. For example, we know that King David was a real person, and that his poetry was both rooted in history and prophetic words that looked forward to Christ.

The book of Job is ancient poetry! It was written before the Exodus, and could even be contemporary with or earlier than Abraham. We don't know who wrote it. Some have suggested Job himself, or some prophet at his time, or perhaps Moses or Solomon. But whoever wrote it was clearly very wise and was moved by the Holy Spirit in writing it. Whether this is a literal recording in the sense that Job and his friends spoke sophisticated poetry or if it’s a poetic but faithful retelling of true history, I don’t know. I may be inclined to think of it as a poetic retelling, but either way, it’s true, historical, and prophetic, but poetic in form.

Last edited:
Upvote 0