Job satisfaction

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I love my job (nursing). I am on a unit where I get to care for a lot of different kinds of issues from birth to death of old age. I love the challenge of learning about new things. At the same time, this unit expects too much of their staff on a regular basis. I end up physically, mentally, and sometimes even emotionally exhausted after every shift. I love learning but can barely think by the end of a two day stretch. I have looked at other units where they don't demand as much but am afraid that I'd be bored on those units.

How do other people decide what is the appropriate amount of challenge when working? I am currently watching for an opening in the NICU because I think that would be a better balance. Less patients, so less charting. But also patients that need me to use my brain non-stop in their care.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have a huge respect for nurses and anyone in any part of the medical field. I tried nursing school, and did well academically but did not have the emotional stability at the time to handle working with patients. I've often wished I had started at a less intense level than RN, but I just fled the whole medical field altogether.

I ended up working primarily with children and people with disabilities or the elderly which involved medication aid and basic health support. I had to stop doing that because of physical limitations and very low pay. However, I miss it a great deal.

I have thought about going back to school, but I had switched my degree plan to child psychology and human development. I wasn't able to finish it.

I'm at a place where I am earning more money than I usually do at a desk job that is draining my health because it is a sedentary position and I keep a steady flow of caffeine and sugar to keep my mind alert and processing. I hate it.

I need something different that will keep me moving to the extent that I am able, and keep me mentally challenged, and earn enough.

I love to write and do it a lot, but I have not once been paid for anything I write. That is a slow career to develop. I keep thinking about the options that are available. There's not much out there that doesn't require a degree or classes or training... I don't have the time or funds for that because my energy and endurance is limited because of physical problems, and my time is also because I'm raising a son and have to do something earn money, too.

I come from a family that reinvents themselves in their 30's and 40's because they start out in hard labor jobs that their bodies can't continue in. They do total career field switches, usually earning more money in the later part of their lives than they did when they were young and physically fit.

All this to say, I don't know! I'm in the same boat, trying to find something different that is rewarding, financially sufficient, and a good fit for my speed and physical capabilities.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0